Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Super market music

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
The Who's "I Can't Explain" when I went to pick up milk at the local grocery store. Checked out right at the chorus and bopped my head right as I headed out the door.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
"Daughter" was playing at CVS, now I'm back on a Pearl Jam kick. It's like they know when I need to buy vitamin D.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was at the Wal-mart grocery shopping the other day at 05:30 AM and the music just stopped. No announcements, no static, just dead silence. And it was about an hour before crew change so the staff that was in the building was hardly talking. Fucking creepy. I almost wished they put on ANYTHING musically, even country. Almost.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now I'm alternating between the smooth jazz/lite R&B station I talk about in CTDWAT and an easy listening station. So on the latter, I get a lot of crossover to this thread. And it's nice that they play stuff from the '60s/'70s that has fallen out of the oldies station rotation. But they also play schmaltzy '00s stuff which I do not care for. Piss off, Josh Groban.

Anyway, two observations listening. "All Through The Night" is definitely a Top 3 and maybe #1 Cyndi Lauper song and no one ever friggin talks about it. Cyndi crushes it, love The Hooters backing her up and even the weird ass, out of place synth violin solo.

I hadn't heard Bette Midler's "Wind Beneath My Wings" in full in a long time and my god, the lyrics are so schmaltzy, it seems like something someone would write as a parody of a big sentimental ballad. I can't believe anyone under the age of 60 would unironically like it.

Valeyard

Reaction score
"Blue (Da ba dee)" wafted in earlier today. Reminded me the days when my best friend in school said it was the new "Bohemian Rhapsody," and my young confusion.

Valeyard

Reaction score
"The Warrior" coincided with security catching a dude trying to steal a carton of milk. Life's peaked.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was drunk enough last night to want to belt along with All 4 One's "I Swear" playing on the soft rock station during my Uber ride but sober enough to feel too self conscious (and worried if my Uber driver was able to harmonize with me).

You have a lot of regrets in life, I guess. I should've just gone for it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Never realized Edwin McCain's "I'll Be" had saxophone on it. Trying to go for that DMB vibe, I guess.

21 years later, I'm still mystified as to why Edwin McCain thought being "love's suicide" was romantic/appealing. What does love's suicide even mean!?

Valeyard

Reaction score
I still hate the line "I'll be the biggest fan of your life." That whole chorus is way better sarcastically.

I was just in briefly this week but enough to have "Cruel Summer" stuck in my head for the last 24 hours.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
"I Want Candy" during a late night Target run yesterday. Few of the patrons were miming the chorus.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Valeyard said:
I still hate the line "I'll be the biggest fan of your life." That whole chorus is way better sarcastically.

I was just in briefly this week but enough to have "Cruel Summer" stuck in my head for the last 24 hours.

The chorus is just so corny. Maybe he was being sarcastic though and that's how he got his job as a snarky VH1 commentator in the early-mid '00s?

Important follow up to the 2nd part; Bananarama or the Ace of Base cover?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Other day I learned that Whitney Houston's "Didn't We Almost Have It All?" was allegedly written about her breakup with Randall Cunningham.

I didn't even know she dated Randall Cunningham. I should've borrowed my friend's copy of his autobiography Still Scramblin', I guess.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Another late night Target run had Kids in America playing while I was on the self-checkout line and again 'seemingly everyone else in line were miming the chorus.

Valeyard

Reaction score
"Close My Eyes Forever" just as the fake thunder noise happens and the vegetables get sprayed is oddly powerful.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I like how this thread is now kind of a live event recap.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bernie Bro Kamala said:
Other day I learned that Whitney Houston's "Didn't We Almost Have It All?" was allegedly written about her breakup with Randall Cunningham.

I didn't even know she dated Randall Cunningham. I should've borrowed my friend's copy of his autobiography Still Scramblin', I guess.
This might be FAKE NEWS and this song is a bit too rockin' to be regular super market music (if only we had a Buffalo Wild Wings music thread?) but ALLEGEDLY, Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name" is about Diane Lane.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm tired of the locally owned franchise blasting the CMT top 10.

Pelicans_Fan_Hood

New Poster
Reaction score
Saints_Fan_H said:
I'm tired of the locally owned franchise blasting the CMT top 10.

Fortunately it changed when I went to the 7-11. Indian guys were playing pink floyd and it's usually not my thing but man it's better than Jason Aldean. Mrs PFH loves Jason aldean because he's "hot" but he doesn't look like anything special. I knew this gay guy once (him being gay doesn't matter I'm coool) but he looked so much better than jason aldean and was really country. FOR REAL COUNTRY. He and I went cow tipping one time when we were kids (nothing happened between us as kids fyi) and he knew the right way to get up in there and flip that fucker over. Only country boys can do that not some posers. I like "comfortably numb" a lot.

Magic Johnson

New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
Reaction score
I'm glad you clarified that him being gay doesn't matter, Pelicans_Fan_Hood. I was beginning to think from your posting that you were a big-time homophobe, and that's not right. We should all be more accepting of each other.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm glad Magic Johnson is so accepting of his son EJ (otherwise known as beloved TSMer KOAB)'s lifestyle.

I just heard the MTV Unplugged remake of "Layla" and God, man, Eric Clapton deserves all of the hatred thrown his way and more for that alone. Not to mention the racism part. How could he purposely ruin one of his own songs like that? Why were people so accepting in '92/'93 of him neutering one of the most impassioned, scorching rock songs of all time into a sleepy boomer shuffle?

Valeyard

Reaction score
My mom played that unplugged album constantly, and I didn't even know there was a proper version of "Layla" until a few years later.

People liked him because his kid died, I guess.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/LkGYlKs65qo
Even by pre MTV standards, this is amazingly low effort.

"We got 20 minutes to film on our day off in Reno. Frankie, can you wear the same suit as the other guys? No...well, alright. Do you guys know any choreographed dance moves? No. OK. Well we better get started. We only got 19 minutes to film left now."

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'll raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zstZkoGyZS4&t=46s

Marked out while buying beans.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
clapton seemed to turn it around on his racism btw

https://twitter.com/scarlettpeach/status/949563924281774082

for a celeb to publicly acknowledge the racist ties to brexit is rare, let alone acknowledge his own ties to it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/cRkaPdfjzEk
Had this stuck in my head all day. This is fine '80s soft rock but Idk how the members of Grand Funk Railroad thought in the '90s "You know who should be the guy to replace Mark Farner? The guy who sang .38 Special's 'Second Chance'! Also we should stop being a power trio and add a keyboardist and Bruce Kulick too!"

Valeyard

Reaction score
"Simply Irresistible" is better when you walk around with a mask and the second you put something on the conveyor belt you hear the sword clang sound.