Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The BIGLY Discussion of Anime/Manga Thread

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Others I finished over the last several months...

Bakemonogatari: Good series with Koyomi Araragi surviving a vampire attack to return to human form but finds himself involved with Hitagi Senjougahara after he saves her (and finds her eerily weightless). I liked it but I also felt like I was missing something at times beyond the great artwork and solid characterization considering its 8.33 MAL score. I didn't like it nearly that much but worth a watch. 7/10

The Executioner and Her Way of Life: Fun series is about Akari, a girl who finds herself being assisted by Menou, a girl who's supposed to kill people like Akari who have special concepts powers. Menou can't find herself willing to do so and thus they end up on a journey to figure out the underlying truth behind the group who rule over Menou and others like her. There's a lot of Yuri overtones (especially Momo towards Menou) but the artwork is great and the last several episodes are intense action and intriguing twists to what's happening. MAL is a bit mixed (6.79 score) but I liked it more than most seem to. 7/10

The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady: Enjoyable series about Princess Anis Palletia who ends up taking on Euphyllia Magenta as her servant after Euphyllia gets rejected for marriage by Prince Algard. Anis' goal is to create and utilize "magicology" by mixing what she knew of Earth with her experiments despite being unable to do magic herself. There's a very sweet friendship/Yuri aspect to Anis and Euphyllia's relationship and Anis is a fun protagonist to root for in achieving her goal. 7/10

Wasteful Days of High School Girls: I'm an absolute sucker for slice-of-life, schoolgirl groups doing schoolgirl shit together whether it be clubs or otherwise. Fun, typical stuff with enjoyable characters. Nothing deep but is what it is. 7/10

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Finally watched this. Really good but not quite on the level of some of his previous movies like of course "Your Name".
Just watched this last night. Some fantastic visuals and great character design/arcs. I'd probably give it a 7.5 bordering closer to an 8/10.

I have Your Name as a 10/10 so topping that would be very impressive. I think I liked Weathering With You more than Suzume by a tiny bit but Suzume is still a great movie.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Watched the movie Maboroshi aka Alice and Therese's Illusion Factory on Netflix. Solid story with some very good visual moments. The ending did feel pretty quick and the story was getting a little jump around/confusing at points but worth a watch. 7/10

Last edited:

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Couple eps into everything this season. Not a lot of standouts tbh,

What's Old is New Again (sequels!):

Mashle 2nd: He has no magic in a world where the magicless are hated. How can he survive? Sheer strength! This show is so goofy and so funny. @HarleyQuinn might like this.

Blue Exorcist: Shimane Illumanti Saga: This is the 3rd season (plus a movie?) iirc. I really loved the first season but the second wasn't great. We'll see how this goes.

Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki 2nd Stage: One of those shows were the nerd/dysfunctional types learns to be a better person while also improving the people around him. This is one of the better versions of these shows.

Classroom of the Elite III: Super smart slacker with a HIDDEN PAST manipulates everyone from behind the scenes while facing seemingly impossible tasks. Seeing how all the various plots come together and the character backstories are the fun.

Banished From The Hero's Party, I Decided To Live A Quiet Life In The Countryside Season 2: This isn't that good.

The Isekai trend just never stops:
The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic: Guy gets transported accidently along with his two classmates who are actually wanted but it turns out he has the rare healing magic. Comedy anime, might be a drop.

My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered, No One in This Other World Stands a Chance Against Me!: This might be intended as a parody but the line has gotten so blurry it's hard to tell. The protagonist can literally kill anyone with a thought, no matter the distance etc. He's also the cliche vanilla dead emotion type. The reactions to his antics are somewhat amusing but there's not much here.

Solo Leveling: This is only semi-isekai as the characters travel to other worlds from ours to fight monsters. The Main character is the weakest level but gets trapped in a brutal dungeon and given a chance to level up. Lots of gore in the first episode. The world building seems interesting so this might have potential.

Ishura: This one seems like one of the most interesting of the season. @Brooklyn Zoo might like this. The Demon King is dead and no one knows who killed him. The world is full of overpowered heroes, many of them from our world. Each episode so far has been about one or more of those heroes while also building the world. Animation and world building is very intriguing.

Doesn't fit in the other 2 categories!:

Bucchigri?!: Normal (read cowardly/whiny) high schooler joins a school of delinquents who are constantly fighting and he ends up possessed by some kind of spirit that gives him fighting power? This is really weird and full of wacky characters and fighting. Might be ok.

The Witch and the Beast: This one seems like it has potential. There's a magic organization that goes around dealing with Witches who are the most powerful magical threat and there's 2 people it's focused on, one of whom was cursed by a witch.

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer: Low level dude gets killed but comes back as a skeleton, he starts killing other things in the dungeon and levels up to a Ghoul, hides his identity and tries to start over. This seems decent so far.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up Lycoris Recoil (released in 2022) - 9/10, really good show. Sounds like there may be more to the series, whether it's a movie or something else, that was announced in February of 2023.

Takina Inoue is a member of a government-sponsored all-female task force of assassins and spies made up of young orphaned girls known as "Lycoris", an undercover group who eliminate criminals and terrorists in Tokyo while disguised as high school students to maintain peace in Japan. However, during an operation to intercept a large exchange of firearms, she starts firing indiscriminately at the enemies to save a colleague who was taken hostage, jeopardizing the safety of other Lycoris in the process. As a result, the agency dismissed her for disobeying orders. She was then transferred to work with an elite Lycoris agent, Chisato Nishikigi, on a branch of the agency which operates undercover as a café called "LycoReco".

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
No disrespect to the GOAT, but I'm not watching Gamecube-era cell shaded CG anime.

I read most (all?) of Sand Land in the American Shonen Jump like 20 years ago. It was one of their initial series. It's not very good, tbh.