Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Boys on Amazon Prime

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody else tried this show out? I'm almost through five episodes and it's pretty great with a quality cast and it's super dark stuff. Season 2 is starting on like September 4th or thereabouts too.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Loved it. Binged it last summer and absolutely loved it. This is the tone Zack Snyder wishes he had.

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the direction they went for the season finale?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the direction they went for the season finale?

I kind of figured it out pretty early on that they'd be going that direction. Mostly fine with it but curious how the other characters move on and what their arcs may be.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Anyone still watching? Season 2 was a slow starter but ramped up tremendously as it went on.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah started a bit slow but really liked it. They were right to go their own way over the source material more and more as Butcher and especially Homelander have developed into far more interesting characters.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that S2 gets better. I'm two eps in and, outside of Gecko and Stormfront (whose name I was a bit gobsmacked by), wasn't really feeling it like I was the first.

Fun bit: watched Scare Me the other night and was super impressed by Aya Cash, so seeing her as Stormfront was enough to pique my interest.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
It took a while for me to get into this season. I didn't care much for the actual Wife/Ryan/Homelander stuff and I felt like they could've done a bit more with Stormfront's character as a whole. Loved the reveal in the final episode though and the Lamplighter episode was a highlight for me but I'm a big Shawn Ashmore fan.

I felt Season 1 was stronger. This season felt like they were short changing some subplots (Stormfront's history, the Church of the Collective, etc.) and trying to cram a lot into just 8 episodes. What worked really worked well but at times it felt like a transitory season.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
Started this recently, should have a while ago because it's great. Just began season 2.

Didn't know much about Antony Starr before The Boys but Homelander is one of my favourite superhero representations.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Started this recently, should have a while ago because it's great. Just began season 2.

Didn't know much about Antony Starr before The Boys but Homelander is one of my favourite superhero representations.

he’s the lead in Banshee. That shows kicks all kinds of ass. Ran four seasons on Cinemax.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
Gonna have to try Banshee since I just finished The Boys.

Aya Cash was a really good addition this season.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finished the show yesterday and have to agree with most of the sentiment going around that S1 was stronger but I'm still not complaining.

The intro to episode seven was some of the darkest and saddest television that I've seen in a while that will probably get glossed over because that was meant to be the point I think but holy shit they did a fantastic job of displaying and examining how affected people can be by the media cycle and how it can influence them.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I enjoyed season 2 more. Maybe I wasn’t liking the comic changes from season 1 and was better with it by the time 2 rolled around.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i liked season 2 more as well but i think it was because they were carving their own path more this season. Some of the changes from the comic in season 1 i wasnt huge on but overall I liked them as I find a lot of Ennis's stuff to be juvenile. They kept the core satire and some of the better dark humor and pervy shit without going totally overboard with it like he always has to do.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Been re-binging S1/S2 in anticipation of S3. Pleasantly surprised 3 eps have dropped already as I'm 4 eps through my Season 2 re-watch.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the way he fucks with people.

The general trope of "Superman but evil" is really overdone in comics but I still almost always find it amusing, Homelander in the tv adaptation is the best version of the trope probably.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
since this is a weekly release are we using spoiler tags or free balling discussion?
I'd say spoiler tags through say Friday of the latest episode e.g. Ep 4 could be spoiler tagged through 6/17 when Ep 5 drops.

For the first 2-3 eps, maybe spoiler tag any bigger things
like the head-blowing woman and Stan Edgar knowing each other
and general discussion otherwise.