Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Mandalorian

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He said "I wasn't a stormtrooper, wiseass!" after Mando chuckled at him being called one of the best sharpshooters in the Imperial Army.

Not just first swear word in Star Wars but damn good inside joke

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I completely missed that part - definitely need to do a rewatch. I did notice Richard Ayoade as the voice of the droid on that team though, which was kind of cool.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Latest episode dropped today instead of Friday, and, well, things picked up quite a bit.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
P. surprised they didn't end the season with that cliffhanger. Next episode is the S1 finale, so wondering how they're going to top that.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Just finished 6 and I’m of the opposite mindset as everyone else. Thought it was the weakest.

So so so tired of the trope where everyone is doing a job together, but all decide they’re going to be an unnecessary dick to the main character. Just no reason at all. And if you’re going to betray the guy at the end... especially no reason for it. It’s just a tired act that is all over tv and film. I get that it was a good enough episode. But this just took me too far out of it.

The female character in the episode was also just obnoxious to me. It was also just weird hearing a heavy Boston accent in the Star Wars universe. Although I thought Burr was pretty good.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Loved the finale. Wrapped up just enough while leaving a lot of things for the next season. This is one of my favourite shows I think.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
"Come on baby, do the magic hand thing!"
*Baby Yoda waves*

Best moment of the season. Saying this series "saves Star Wars" is hyperbolic, but I definitely would rather see smaller-scale but better quality stuff like this than another trilogy.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watched the last two episodes and yeah this is one of my favorite shows. Just nonstop fun with great action scenes, really entertaining characters, and one of the best paced series in a while. The cute and meme type moments totally work for me and aren't annoying which is a problem some of these culture zeitgeist type shows have.

Sad to see space troll Nick Nolte and Werner Herzog go, but more Giancarlo Esposito is always great. Glad Carl Weathers and Gina Carano are sticking around and I'm pumped to see who shows up for next season.

Season 2 airs in Fall 2020 according to Jon Faverau's twitter.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really like her as an actress. She's got a ton of presence and handles the dialogue well. She nails the action scenes of course. Compare her to Ronda Rousey's performances in film and TV and it's hilarious how much better an actress Gina is.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Loving this show way more than I thought I could. I’m a pretty causal Star Wars fan. I wasn’t hyped for this. Did the last two episodes tonight and was fiending for more.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Joyful & Soyful said:
I really like her as an actress. She's got a ton of presence and handles the dialogue well. She nails the action scenes of course. Compare her to Ronda Rousey's performances in film and TV and it's hilarious how much better an actress Gina is.

Carano is solid but using Rousey as your bar isn't exactly a high standard.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's not a lot of female mma fighters turned actresses to compare. Maybe a better comparison is Dave Bautista idk. There still aren't a lot of female actresses like Gina. She's sort of a female throwback to the 80s male action stars where she doesn't need to say much and still be good.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Youth N Asia said:
Loving this show way more than I thought I could.
Same. I was ready to not be into it at all, but it ended up becoming one of my favourite parts of the entire "extended universe" content. :)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finally was able to watch the finale. It was great as expected. I loved IG-11's arc.

Excited to see where they go in Season 2 with Moff Gideon. Is he force sensitive? Why does he have the saber.

I kind of got the sense at times that this was a contingency series finale in case it got a Solo like reception. A few moments that could have been saved for later IMO but all very minor stuff. One of my favorite first seasons for a television show in a while.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sty Guy Kamala said:
Finally was able to watch the finale. It was great as expected. I loved IG-11's arc.

Excited to see where they go in Season 2 with Moff Gideon. Is he force sensitive? Why does he have the saber.

I kind of got the sense at times that this was a contingency series finale in case it got a Solo like reception. A few moments that could have been saved for later IMO but all very minor stuff. One of my favorite first seasons for a television show in a while.

The dark saber isnt used by force sensitives, whomever controls the saber is leader of the mandalorians from what i remember. so unless he is plotting to take them all down or has killed mandalore for it, its def going to be interesting.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
In important cultural news, Dictionary.com has officially recognized Baby Yoda

https://www.cbr.com/dictionary-com-baby-yoda-star-wars-mandalorian/

I still need to watch this show.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anyone watch the behind-the-scenes/making-of series they did for S1? Some p. interesting stuff. The episodes (8 total) are anywhere from 19 minutes to 38 minutes, so you can knock them out p. quickly. I think the most interesting episode was #4 "Technology", which the gf & I found p. mind blowing due to the fact that
there was no "on location" filming, everything was done on set! With no blue/green screens!

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
Great season opener and a little longer than season 1 episodes. A fun thing about this show is there are no shortage of easter eggs and references to the EU that I get to learn about afterward.

Last edited:

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Solid first episode back. I like there being a running story in the background, but I dig the job of the week episodes quite a bit. Especially with the great guest stars they’re getting.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I LIKED this episode ok but I think it was the weakest of the series. There is such a high bar for the show for me.
Agreed. Especially because I really just got to Season 1 last month, so everything is still really fresh to me. It wasn’t bad but unless we get some big reveal or callback later, this felt like the most filler episode of the entire series. Fun and quick but least impactful.

Just glad some eggs were had.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I LIKED this episode ok but I think it was the weakest of the series. There is such a high bar for the show for me.
I think this episode was textbook even if this show isn't bad, it's still pretty good. Yeah, if not the weakest definitely in the Bottom 3 but it is really just a reminder that "Oh yeah. This show is just an elevated, very high budget version of a '90s action-adventure show sometimes".