Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The OAO "STFU JK Rowling" thread

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
So famed Harry Potter author JK Rowling has been saying all kinds of problematic shit about the trans community for the past week or so.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amberjamieson/jk-rowling-antitrans-statement

Both Eddie Redmayne and Daniel Radcliffe have spoke out against her:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/eddie-redmayne-jk-rowling-anti-trans-tweets-harry-potter-fantastic-beasts-1234630226/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/entertainment/daniel-radcliffe-responds-jk-rowling-trans-tweets-trnd/index.html

So, how long before Harry Potter is cancelled (can't say I was ever a fan)?

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
She's a terrible human being and she's been doing this for years from what my friends who follow her have bene saying. I was neve into HP so this doesn't bother me beyond seeing how it effects people which is always sad.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think its worse cause Harry Potter has (or had) a lot of LGBT fans so I think that makes JK Rowling being a huge transphobe even worse.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah a lot of my lgbt friends were very upset when this stuff first started happening a few years ago. It's very gross and sad.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
She's a horrible person, but as far as the movies go, it shouldn't effect how people view them. They are great movies, and the cast and crew worked hard on them. As far as the books go, just by them second hand so that she doesn't get money from them. I think she'll be "cancelled" before people should cancel Harry Potter, at least the movies.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised as JK's been horrible for a long time even going back to the first Fantastic Beasts where she basically said that Dumbledore being gay (ya know, the infamous statement made AFTER the books were made), which would have also been a massive public film positive portrayal for a lead character, was an aspect which would not show up in the actual film(s). Going back, a lot of her 'alterations' to Harry Potter's lore and canon has been questionable and done for the sake of filling in stuff nobody needed to know because JK knows the HP universe is her windfall.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
She's trash for making the comments but the idea that somebody who at some point had a net worth in the billions is going to be "cancelled" is some straight up laughable shit. If she stepped away from the spotlight and literally did and said nothing for the rest of her life she's going to be living an extremely comfortable life. There are plenty of famous works of literature that are purchased frequently whom we know were authored by garbage human beings so I don't think the HP series or franchise is going to suffer too badly in the end.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
People I know have been saying she's a transphobe for years, so it's nice she finally came out and made it fully public. She also spread a lot of the Corbyn and Labor antisemitism rumors on her social media during the last British elections.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I saw that her and Bari Weiss and Noam Chomsky signed a letter calling for the end of cancel culture LOL.

I'd expect JK and Bari Weiss to sign something dumb like that. I'm a little disappointed in Noam but dude has got to be in his nineties now so he may be finally getting senile (CW: AGEISM).

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Trump winning the election turned Chomsky into media lib #573. It's been sad to watch.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Trump winning the election turned Chomsky into media lib #573. It's been sad to watch.
I think it's nice to see that it's never too old for someone to become an edgelord. (Hopefully this counteracts my earlier ageism)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I mean he has always been a free speech absolutist. Bari Weiss is probably an upgrade in terms of company to keep over holocaust deniers.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The sheer arrogance of everything she's done is mindblowing. Even right down to putting her fucking name on it instead of a pen name to make totally sure she alienates everyone. Book should just be terf'd.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm legitimately curious on what my friends think of this. I know several die-hard Harry Potter fans who are also extremely liberal-minded. Wonder if they chucked her books in the trash or are trying to justify her horrible opinions.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Potterheads be like, "Could you please just shut the fuck up, and let us continue to enjoy this thing you created?" And JK Rowling is like, "NOPE! You gonna get this transphobia, I know that much!"

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Emma Watson is apparently tending because she mentioned in an interview and she has no problem with men using women's restrooms so people took that as being transphobic. I don't know. Anyone else wanna weigh in?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not reading it correctly, but how is that transphobic

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought Emma Watson was distancing herself from the Rowlings stuff because she (Watson) supports trans rights?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well maybe people are being transphobic for assuming Emma Watson is talking about trans women when she says she doesn't mind if men use women's bathrooms!

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
the only news story i see about emma watson is her visting some school. So is this just some twitter shit?