Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE...SENT TO DRAIN

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
The Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet With Butterfly Wings (HD Official Video)

So this song came on the radio when I was driving home from the gym and I'll be damned if I didn't crank the volume up as loud as it would go and experience something akin to genuine catharsis. I also realized that Radiohead totally jacked the drum-sound for "There There" from here. But so anyway, I have now decided to make this thread, where we can talk about the Smashing Pumpkins. It's easy to look back and laugh at Billy Corgan's overblown angst, but damn if that dude didn't at one time know how to make a damn song. And he could make that angst work.

Smashing Pumpkins-Disarm

"THE KILLER IN ME IS THE KILLER IN YOU" should be the most laughable lyric in history. But somehow it isn't! Incredible.

Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight Tonight (Video)

Can we all now agree that this was the actual best band to come out of the whole 90s alt-rock boom? Or at least the best one to actually get popular? (sorry, Pavement).

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
Mr. Dressup said:
No. We will never all agree on any statement of the sort because music is subjective.

Well, that's not true. But regardless, subjectivity doesn't necessarily mean disagreement.

Twisted Intestine

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't understand how you can set a bar on what is or isn't good music. Do you measure off technical skill? I think some people had this argument somewhere, maybe just link me to it and I won't have to repeat things. I think Our Lady Peace is a better band.

Maybe I don't think they're better, maybe I just listened to them more. I really don't know what I'm talking about. I'm the type when it comes to music who just likes what he likes.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Great band. Though only thing that disturbs me is Billy Corgan's obsession with wrestling.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
MY HEART DON'T PUMP KOOL-AID said:
Great band. Though only thing that disturbs me is Billy Corgan's obsession with wrestling.
Corgan's pretty crazy actually.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Geocities Floyd said:
He did the GLOW theme song, and he actually seems PROUD of it. That's crazy

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
His encyclopedia like knowledge of it is creepy. Dude is actually the most sketchy front man imo of all those bands that came out in that era. Just so many "wtf" quirks to his personality that legit weird me out.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
"Melancholy and Infinite Sadness" remains one of my favorite albums of the 90's. Also, "1979" is one of the best pop songs from the 90's.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
JHawk said:
Geocities Floyd said:
He did the GLOW theme song, and he actually seems PROUD of it. That's crazy
I meant that he believes in chemtrails/is anti-vaccine/believes global warming is bullshit.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I saw them in concert in...I want to say 96 with Garbage opening. They played Tonight, Tonight as a faster more hard rock song and it was really really awesome.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
bps21 said:
I saw them in concert in...I want to say 96 with Garbage opening. They played Tonight, Tonight as a faster more hard rock song and it was really really awesome.

I took one of my first girlfriends to this tour. God, what an embarrassing thread.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
a rapper in a wheelchair said:
"THE KILLER IN ME IS THE KILLER IN YOU" should be the most laughable lyric in history. But somehow it isn't! Incredible.
No, it really is. At least top 10.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I don't really see it is that ridiculous a lyric. If Layne Staley or James Hetfield had sung it, nobody would bat an eye at it. I think lyrics just sound a lot sillier in Billy Corgan's whiny cunt voice. I still think "Disarm" is a great song, as past it, "Tonight, Tonight" and "1979," I'm not much of a fan. The Batman & Robin song was OK.

I remember seeing the "Ava Adore" video and thinking "ugh, this band is done." And they were! Remember when every 90s band thought they had to add electronic elements to stay relevant? Mainstream rock never recovered.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Does the overwhelming embarrassment of the last thirteen years of his career cancel out whatever goodwill he built up from 1991 to 1997 or so? I say yes...I mean do you remember Zwan?

Reaction score
Sensei John Kreese said:
I don't really see it is that ridiculous a lyric. If Layne Staley or James Hetfield had sung it, nobody would bat an eye at it. I think lyrics just sound a lot sillier in Billy Corgan's whiny cunt voice. I still think "Disarm" is a great song, as past it, "Tonight, Tonight" and "1979," I'm not much of a fan. The Batman & Robin song was OK.

I remember seeing the "Ava Adore" video and thinking "ugh, this band is done." And they were! Remember when every 90s band thought they had to add electronic elements to stay relevant? Mainstream rock never recovered.

Ava Adore is awesome.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
RT @czech_republic said:
a rapper in a wheelchair said:
No, it really is. At least top 10.

Yeah, ok, so maybe it is. But Still! That song! That fucking song! That shit makes me scrunch my face up all like, "this is the greatest thing ever." Bands today don't know how to do that.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm punishing myself by watching the "Honesty" video for the first time since it was being played on MTV2 and Billy Corgan and maybe the chick bass player are the only ones who don't look deeply embarrassed to be there. It's like they already know they're going to virulently hate each other in ten years for making such shitty music!

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
I'm listening to "Disarm" right now and I actually literally just pounded my desk in concert with its drums. I dunno if there's a song that's been made in the last ten years that could produce the same reaction. RIP the 90s.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Why was there a sudden rash of really shitty super groups made up of members of '90s alternative bands during Bush Jr's first term? Did they all collectively and belatedly realize that "Hey! That Dave Grohl is really doing well for himself with the Foo Fighters. Maybe we should give it another go with another lead singer!"?

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
Why was there a sudden rash of really shitty super groups made up of members of '90s alternative bands during Bush Jr's first term? Did they all collectively and belatedly realize that "Hey! That Dave Grohl is really doing well for himself with the Foo Fighters. Maybe we should give it another go with another lead singer!"?

I dunno, but, if nothing else, at least it gave us this

Audioslave - Cochise

which is more than the Obama administration has given us

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll probably get shit for this but I thought Audioslave got a bit of a bad rap. Sure, they were a massive disappointment (Rage with a guy who can actually sing!) but they weren't Velvet Revolver or Zwan!

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I much prefer the slower version of the batman and robin song that they used for the Watchmen trailer. I can't remember which one is named which...just that the slower one I like better.