Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Week in Baseball 4/13 - 4/19

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
On Thursday in the first regular season game in the All-New, All-Different Yankee Stadium, Bob Costas will be doing play-by-play for an MLB game for the first time since the 2000 ALCS. This is good or bad news depending on who you are.

Baseball! Live! In COLOR!

MONDAY
Phillies (Jamie Moyer) at Nationals (Daniel Cabrera), 3:00 PM/Noon, MLBN
Padres (Walter Silva) at Mets (Mike Pelfrey), 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

WEDNESDAY
Padres (Kevin Correia) at Mets (Oliver Perez), 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY
Indians (Cliff Lee) at Yankees (C.C. Sabathia), 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, MLBN
Blue Jays (Roy Halladay) at Twins (Francisco Liriano), 8:00/5:00 PM, MLBN

SATURDAY
Cardinals at Cubs, 3:30/12:30 PM, FOX
Indians at Yankees, 3:30/12:30 PM, FOX
Rockies at Dodgers, 3:30/12:30 PM, FOX
Padres at Phillies, 7:00/4:00 PM, MLBN

SUNDAY
Indians at Yankees, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, TBS
Cardinals at Cubs, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
Hey that's the first place in the N.L. West San Diego Padres, buddy!

Obviously ESPN scheduled the Monday game because it's the first regular season game in Citi Field and it appears again this year they'll often have same match-up on Monday and Wednesday which appears to be a cost cutting move.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of same match-up Monday/Wednesdays, but oh well. Maybe it'll give me to Atlanta games sometime this season.

Y

Your Favorite Weapon

I'm going to the Yankee/Cleveland game Saturday.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jermaine Dye and Paul Kornerko just hit their 300th career HR's in back-to-back AB's against Detroit.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wonder how long it took Konerko to get around the bases.

Al, what happened with Harry Kalas? Hospitalized? Farmio wasn't specific about exactly what happened because he's not good at describing things, which is why he is in broadcasting.

A Happy Medium

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It looks like some baseball is about to get underway after a rain delay in Chicago. The rain is letting off, finally. The conditions at Wrigley Field are pretty terrible. It's about 38 degrees. The wind chill is 28 degrees.

What a home opener.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A Happy Medium said:
It looks like some baseball is about to get underway after a rain delay in Chicago. The rain is letting off, finally. The conditions at Wrigley Field are pretty terrible. It's about 38 degrees. The wind chill is 28 degrees.

What a home opener.
That's every home opener they have. It was even worse last year. 12 to 14 road games to start the season would be fine by me. Minimize the possibility of dormant ivy and shitty weather.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
alkeiper said:
If we're listing MLB Network games they are advertising the Phillies/Nationals game at 3pm today.

Come home for lunch and the game is on after all. Strange they didn't list it on their schedule and didn't mention it in their press release last week about adding Saturday games. This channel just keeps getting better and better.

Y

Your Favorite Weapon

Apparently every player in baseball will be wearing #42 on Wednesday.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
Your Favorite Weapon said:
Apparently every player in baseball will be wearing #42 on Wednesday.

I always thought that was a little much. Isn't retiring the number at every ballpark enough?

Y

Your Favorite Weapon

The next time I see an ad starring the Progressive.com chick, I'm going to scream so loud that everyone on my block will hear.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
EVERY player is wearing #42? Ok now that's just overkill. And it'll look pretty stupid. Did they do this last year?

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just got back from my first trip out to the ballpark of the season. Always cool to have at least that one day a year where everyone's pumped about the Pirates. Never thought I'd be in the middle of 40,000 people chanting Zach Duke's name. Wow does that Astros team look bad. A 4 hit shut out for Duke. All 9 starters had hits, Freddy Sanchez hit 3 doubles, and Doumit and Adam LaRoche added homers. Steve Blass threw the opening pitch to Manny Sanguillen. Just about everything you hope for on opening day. I love baseball season. I'm sure the place will be dead Wednesday night though, as the Penguins host the Flyers in game 1 at the same time.

Y

Your Favorite Weapon

Last year, anybody who wanted to wear it could. A few entire teams did it.

I think it was Griffey who started the whole fad.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Mark "The Bird" Fidrych found dead today as well.

Dontrelle is certainly following his career trajectory, let's hope this depression thing doesn't lead to "life trajectory" as well.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Fidrych complete game against the Yanks was on the MLB Network a few weeks ago, as well. Lousy day. I hope the Phils won their game today.

N

naiwf

I was going to mention that some other baseball related person was going to die soon, but I didn't think it would be a few hours later.

Danville_Wrestling

Danville_Wrestling
Reaction score
And Volquez's woes continue for the Reds, down 5-1 after a two out, three run blast by Corey Hart in the second innining. Watching most of his innings have made me want to pull my hair out...gets up early in the count and then its hit after hit. I don't care if you strike out 9 if you give up 5-6 runs on the scoreboard, especially this year when the Reds offense hasn't been too overly impressive.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And Swisher strikes out Gabe Kapler with a series of 75 MPH pitches. What are they doing out there?