Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Week in Baseball 4/13 - 4/19

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Braves finally manage some runs and a win against those pesky Pirates. Arrrrrr.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I believe you meant to say that the Braves beat the Privateers[1].

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Marlins went in to the 9th down against the Nationals again and this time they put up 4 in the top of the 9th to take a three run lead.

If it feels like I've made the same exact post three days in a row, they haven't been that different. Looks like all three wins in the series are going to be tied/won in the 9th.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for mlb.tv to add the game so I can see the damn play myself. Oddly enough that homerun isn't included in the highlight clips they put up. Slow bastards.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
alkeiper said:
I just got a look at the Posada home run video. Sorry guys, but that looked like a home run.
It wound up not mattering in the end, but you and I must have been looking at a different video.

Reaction score
JHawk said:
A long fly ball, a fan reached over the guardrail and bumped into Crowe's glove. It was borderline whether it would have even cleared the wall, but was definitely fan interference. After about eight minutes of discussing and "reviewing" and the primary TV replay clearly showing that there was no way in hell that it was a home run, they still got the call wrong and essentially handed the Yankees the lead.

Apparently it's legal to interfere with a ball in the field of play at the new Yankee Stadium as well.

And of course, Eric Wedge can't protest because despite the replay being obvious, he'd have been ejected automatically for arguing the call.

It's safe to say the replay experiment is a failure.

Here's what actually happened.

The fan reached over, but the ball was in the stands. While Crowe had a shot at the ball, he was no where near it and the ball hit the fan IN the stands. Home Run.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thank goodness for that. Between the Brewers series and the Cardinals series, the Cubs have already put me through the wringer. I couldn't take a fourth game of that shit. I as a fan and the Cubs as a team shouldn't have to be pushed to the limit by the likes of Skip Schumaker, Brian Barden, Chris Duncan, David Freese, Brendan Ryan, and Joe Thurston. The strike ended 14 years ago and nobody seems to have told St. Louis they don't need the scabs.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Having finally seen the replay on Baseball Tonight I'm not 100% sure what to think. From the replays they showed I think it would have been a homerun if no fan nor fielder was there, but it really looked to me like Crowe had a good shot at if it not for the fan. So I think that should have been called fan interference, I can't really fault them for calling it a homerun as it was really hard to tell. However the fan should have been kicked out.

The moral of the story is if you're in the front row in the outfield keep your hands behind the damn wall.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Thank goodness for that. Between the Brewers series and the Cardinals series, the Cubs have already put me through the wringer. I couldn't take a fourth game of that shit. I as a fan and the Cubs as a team shouldn't have to be pushed to the limit by the likes of Skip Schumaker, Brian Barden, Chris Duncan, David Freese, Brendan Ryan, and Joe Thurston. The strike ended 14 years ago and nobody seems to have told St. Louis they don't need the scabs.

Jeez, it takes talent to whine about a 7-4 team. You know Chris Duncan has two 20+ home run seasons under his belt, right?

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Brooklyn Zoo said:
Crowe missed the ball. It was like to his left.
His glove also made contact with a fan's glove in the field of play, impeding his progress toward the ball.

Y

Your Favorite Weapon

I don't get why there are seats right up against the right and left field walls at NYS.

At OYS, there was an aisle walkway in front of the RF wall. There was also a bar that they put up after batting practice that was long enough that fans couldn't get within arm's length of the wall. Installed post-Jeff Maier. In left, the seats were back a way because of the handicapped seating and Monument Park.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
It seems that, unfortunately, both new NY ballparks are works in progress. I still can't wait to see both in person, but the general consensus seems to be that the new Yankee Stadium is way over the top in terms of consumerism, and the new Mets park is kind of hokey and retarded. Of course neither finished product should surprise anyone, because those adjectives nicely sum up the respective organizations.

Y

Your Favorite Weapon

I was at NYS for the 22-4 debacle. Other than the game, the place itself was awesome. I was in the upper deck, section 423.