Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Week in Baseball 4/13 - 4/19

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
13-2. i don't think i've been this amused watching a baseball game since the 2007 world series.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Make that 14-2... this is making Coors Field look silly.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
That was the best inning ever. What's the record for runs scored in an inning anyway?

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What's the deal with the new Yankee stadium? By my count there have been 132 homers hit there in the last 2 games. Does the stadium have anything to do with it or is the pitching just that awful?

I went and watched the Pirates hang 10 on the Braves today. That's 13-0 for the series and the Pirates are somehow leading the majors in ERA.
Joe Kerrigan: Miracle Worker?

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Record: 17 runs by '53 Red Sox

As for the stadium, the commentators were talking about wind and wind direction so that might be a possibility but near as I can tell, the dimensions are the same or wicked close to the other Yankee Stadium.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If the Blue Jays can get their defense up to par and maintain a solid pitching roster they might actually make noise. The young guys like Snider and Lind have really been doing well lately.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cleveland is making me feel better after yet another Brewers loss.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe a 300 million dollar payroll will be needed for our pinstriped friends.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Jays have some of the best defense in the Majors, I don't know if there's a better infield in the majors than Overbay-Hill-Scuatro-Rolen. The 2 errors today, one was right after Tallet took a ball off of his throwing hand and the other one was a fluky play that Hill makes 99% of the time.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
One of the many things that makes FOX's MLB coverage so awful is the fact that their deal does not allow them to switch to a more competitive game. Everyone outside the local markets could have been switched to the Cardinals/Cubs game, which is in extra innings, a couple of hours ago but instead most of us are stuck with a 20-4 game.

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
Where else are you going to get uncomfortable banter between a former player and a play by play guy who admittedly doesn't watch one of the sports he covers? They were out of subjects by the 4th, down to insulting Ken Rosenthal about his height and showing a strange video of cody ransom jumping five feet in the air.

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So we were trying to endure extra innings in a mostly boring game at Rogers Centre, when Overbay comes up in the 12th with a man on. I yell out, "Come on, Lyle, I want to go home!" Two pitches later, Overbay grants my wish and people in my section were congratulating me.

Tallet looked mostly good, aside from his gaffe in the first.

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice to see the Dodgers fly out of the gate. The starting pitching has been much better than I thought it would be.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
It's sure nice to have some OFFENSE now, so the starters don't have to spot on perfect every game.

Jesus, I seriously got a boner watching all those long balls today at the Stadium. This could shape up to be the best Dodger lineup in a long time, maybe dare I say ever? It's still early, so I'm sure Looney/Kemp/Either/Russell are going to have their annual forgot how to hit slump they go through yearly it seems.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Ok enough is enough, they need to send Wang down to the minors until he gets his shit together, because he's absolutely useless right now. It's time to bring up Phil Hughes.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Apparently, MLB Extra Innings doesn't show Saturday afternoon games. Another reason I'm glad I didn't buy it

No one is allowed to show Saturday afternoon games. Fox has exclusivity.

Wang looks great. Also, Melky Cabrera might be the slowest left-fielder I've ever seen in my life.

You never saw Greg Luzinski.

Ok enough is enough, they need to send Wang down to the minors until he gets his shit together, because he's absolutely useless right now. It's time to bring up Phil Hughes.

I agree. I don't know if he has options remaining, but I've rarely seen a pitcher this bad in three starts.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No one is allowed to show Saturday afternoon games. Fox has exclusivity.

I know. That's stupid that they won't show you a game you have no chance watching.

Danville_Wrestling

Danville_Wrestling
Reaction score
Even the Reds commentators were talking tonight about how the new Yankees ballpark is looking at lot like Coors Field and I second all the opinions about how Fox needed to let us leave the game. It's bad enough that I have to listen to Joe Buck.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
If the Yankees' park is indeed that bad, I can't wait to see Utley/Howard/Ibanez take aim at that porch next month.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Zack Greinke has started the season 3-0 with 20 scoreless innings. Adding on the 14 he ended last season with he's now at 34 straight, and approaching Brandon Webb's streak from a few years back. Still a ways to go to reach Hershiser's record though. The down side of all of this is that he's starting to make Peter Gammons look smart for picking him for the AL Cy Young.

Danville_Wrestling

Danville_Wrestling
Reaction score
So what is the over/under on the Yankees fixing right field in the offseason if these fly balls continue to just rocket out of the ballpark?