Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

TRTSM Recommends: Horror and Science Fiction Movies

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: TRTSM Presents - Our Definitive Horror Movie Thread

Black Swan is very much a horror film, just as Roman Polanski's Repulsion is very much a horror film. The terror the protagonist in each experiences is in their minds (uh, spoiler, maybe?), but can't what they—and we—imagine be as scary as any masked killer or undead creature?

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

May I add

Messiah of Evil-Directed by Willard Huyck
Onibaba- Directed by Kaneto Shindô
Let's Scare Jessica to Death-Directed by John D. Hancock
Kill Baby Kill-Directed by Mario Bava
The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh-Directed by Sergio Martino
Martin-Directed by George A. Romero
The Devils-Directed by Ken Russell
Altered States-Directed by Ken Russell
Witchfinder General-Directed by Michael Reeves
The Devil Rides Out-Directed by Terence Fisher
The Blood on Satan's Claw-Directed by Piers Haggard
Curse of the Demon-Directed by Jacques Tourneur
Santa Sangre-Directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky
The Innocents-Directed by Jack Clayton
Pulse-Directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa
Dog Soldiers-Directed by Neil Marshall
Brain Damage-Directed by Frank Henenlotter
Street Trash-Directed by J. Michael Muro

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score

Should we categorize these from "all-around classics" to "absolute garbage"? There's enough listed that fit into both categories that anybody getting serious about horror should see.

Should we make our own b-movie section, too, for the cheese that's in between but still great?

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Maybe not absolute garbage. Opinions differ, after all. Maybe a star rating system would be better?

Also categorizing by sub-genre would probably be the best improvement to this list, IMO.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm open to trying to categorize the list but am leery of 'rating' movies ala good vs bad or 5* vs 1* since as stated, opinions differ and it IMO would get too cluster-fuckey. That and anybody halfway aware of the horror genre would (should) instantly recognize titles that are considered cream of the crop ala Alien, Halloween, The Shining, etc.

Edit: I'd be more amenable to just breaking up by sub-genre personally.

As for sub-genres, how should the listing go? Aliens/Extraterrestrial, Haunting/Ghost, Monster/Supernatural (for like Frankenstein), Thrillers, Vampires, Werewolf, Zombie?

Laz

Reaction score

Zombie is easy since "dead fleshy thing moving" is all you need. I'd say Frankenstein would be sci-fi/horror since the monster was made with science and not reading out of a cursed book, or something.

Honestly? If we categorize these, we should allow room for crossover. Some of them could definitely fit multiple categories, such as [REC] and [REC]2 (Zombie / Supernatural / Found-Footage).

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Just tried a brief sorting by sub-genre and yeah.... no. The list is friggin' massive and it's a little overwhelming trying to sort it as it is.

If anybody has questions about a movie or wants recommendations, just ask and maybe state interests e.g. "I liked Near Dark, looking for a good vampire flick from the list."

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score

Jason X

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

The Living Dead at The Manchester Morgue (1974, directed by Jorge Grau) aka Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and Don't Open the Window

Twitch of the Death Nerve (1971, directed by Mario Bava) aka Blood Bath and A Bay of Blood

The Hanging Woman (1972, directed by José Luis Merino) aka Orgy of the Dead and Return of the Zombies

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

ブランカ said:
The Hanging Woman (1972, directed by José Luis Merino) aka Orgy of the Dead and Return of the Zombies
Now that's an underrated movie. Zombies, a necrophiliac hunchback played by Paul Naschy and all kinds of Euro Horror weirdness.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score

Serious suggestion: Cabinet of Dr. Caligari should be on this list.

Laz

Reaction score
Re: TRTSM Presents - Our Horror Movie Thread

Bumping to add the following (can't do the director details, on my phone):

The Collector
Insidious
Insidious: Chapter 2
The Conjuring
Sinister

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Possession (1981) with Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani should be on this list. One of the most unsettling films i've ever seen.

Laz

Reaction score

Can we just say "Sam Neill" belongs on the list? Most of his stuff is horror, some of it is great, some of it is decent, and only bits and pieces are shyte.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Nymyzys said:
The Descent.

Try reading.

Anything in the 1st post with 'THE' at the start of the movie is listed under T

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Bump! Added Oculus and curious if any other recent movies should be added to our list.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: TRTSM Presents - Our Own Selected Horror Movies Thread

Waxwork
House of the Devil
Friday the 13th part VI: Jason Lives

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

UPDATED: Now broken down via section and sorted within by alphabetical order.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Here's a few that slipped between the cracks. Apologies if something overlaps and I didn't spot it.

End of the Line
The Burning
Black Sheep
Texas Chainsaw 3D
Aliens vs Predator: Requiem
Prometheus
Freddy vs Jason
Die, Monster, Die!
Dracula (the Frank Langella one)
Perfect Creature
Cemetery Man
Tokyo Fist
Tusk
28 Weeks Later
Thirst
The Thirst
The Mummy (the Boris Karloff one)

Captain of Outer Space

reaching for the sky just to surrender
Reaction score

For Aliens/Outer Space: "Galaxy of Terror" directed by Bruce D. Clark (produced by Roger Corman!)

For Werewolves: It would be foolish of me to not nominate "Wolfcop", which was produced in my neck of the woods. I know some of the cast.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score

Some more to add

Tenebre (1982) - Directed by Dario Argento Psychopaths/Suspense/Psychological Thrillers
StageFright (1982) - Directed by Michel Soavi Killer Humans/Other/Stalkers aka "Slashers'
Twins of Evil (1971) - Directed by John Hough Vampires
The Legend of Hell House (1973) - Directed by John Hough Ghosts/Haunted Houses
Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922) - Directed by Benjamin Christensen
You're Next (2011) - Directed by Adam Wingard Killer Humans/Other/Stalkers aka "Slashers
Lisa and the Devil (1973) - Directed by Mario Bava
Kaidan (1964) - Directed by Masaki Kobayashi Ghosts/Haunted Houses
The Grapes of Death (1978) - Directed by Jean Rollin Infection/Virus Outbreak
Long Weekend (1978) - Directed by Colin Eggleston Psychopaths/Suspense/Psychological Thrillers
The Asphyx (1973) - Directed by Peter Newbrook Ghosts/Haunted Houses
Raw Meat (1973) - Directed by Gary Sherman Killer Humans/Other/Stalkers aka "Slashers'
Torso (1973) - Directed by Sergio Martino Psychopaths/Suspense/Psychological Thrillers
Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972) Directed by Amando de Ossorio Zombies/Undead Become Living
Horror Hospital (1973) - Directed by Anthony Balch Experimentation/Scientists/Technology
Tower of Evil (1972) - Directed by Jim O'Connolly Killer Humans/Other/Stalkers aka "Slashers'
I Drink Your Blood (1970) - Directed by David E. Durston Satanic Killers/Cults

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I just noticed that
Brocklock said:
Possession (1981) with Sam Neill and Isabelle Adjani should be on this list. One of the most unsettling films i've ever seen.

Is in the psycho section when it's more an appropriate fit in the Possession/Taken Over by Unknown/Demons category. It's also good for a Films to Show Your Children in the Event of a Divorce category.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Phantom of the Paradise (1974), directed by Brian De Palma, could go in the Psychopaths/Suspense/Psychological Thrillers category.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score

I'd add Creepshow 2 to the anthologies list. Not as strong as the first but still a lot of fun. Tales from the Crypt & Tales from the Darkside too.

Also, what about a category for the French Extreme New Wave genre: Huate Tension, The Ordeal, Inside, Martyrs....etc etc?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

NoCalMike said:
I'd add Creepshow 2 to the anthologies list. Not as strong as the first but still a lot of fun. Tales from the Crypt & Tales from the Darkside too.

Also, what about a category for the French Extreme New Wave genre: Huate Tension, The Ordeal, Inside, Martyrs....etc etc?

Tales From the Darkside: The Movie is already on the list. Also which Tales From the Crypt?

As for the French stuff, I hate to say it this way, but simplify it to the categories on the first post.

Laz

Reaction score

That's definitely more an overall style and approach than it is a sub-genre unto its own. It's like splatterpunk: up the snark/black comedy and levels of gore. Zombies, slashers, vampires, alien monsters, etc.

Reaction score
Re: Nominated Horror Movies Thread Courtesy of TRTSM Posters

I would like to recommend Vacancy. Hitchcockesque, intelligent heroes, first 40 mins or so are pretty suspenseful.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Re: TRTSM Recommends: Horror/Science Fiction Movies

The Perfume of the Lady in Black" (1974) (directed by Francesco Barilli) is a great Italian horror film that deserves a bigger cult following. It also belongs in both the Psychopaths/Suspense/Psychological Thrillers genre, as well as Satanic Killers/Cults.

Some films that belong in the Killer Humans/Other/Stalkers aka "Slashers" list-"Evil Dead Trap" (1988) (directed by Toshiharu Ikeda) an excellent blend of the slasher and giallo genres that goes into a few unexpected territories. The other is "Maniac Cop 2" (1990) (directed by William Lustig), which is a sequel that manages to be better than the original, and is one of the last great examples of a real exploitation movie to boot. "The Silent Scream" (1979) (directed by Denny Harris) and "Curtains" (1983) (directed by Richard Ciupka) are great examples of how to make a good slasher movie without a lot of bloodshed. Finally, "Blood Rage" (1987) (directed by John Grissmer) and "Death Spa" (1989) (directed by Michael Fischa) are examples of cheesy 80's slasher movies at their most entertaining-the former having a glorious over the top performance from Louise Lasser.

For Vampires: "The Devil's Wedding Night" (1973) (directed by Luigi Batzella) is a fun little example of Eurohorror, with enough blood, boobs and offbeat elements to keep your interest. "Vampyres" (1974) (directed by José Ramón Larraz) is one of the best erotic vampire movies ever made.