Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

UFC 230: DC vs. Black Beast

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
A card so huge TSM can't even be bothered with a thread!

Heavyweight Daniel Cormier (c) vs. Derrick Lewis
Middleweight Chris Weidman vs. Ronaldo Souza
Middleweight David Branch vs. Jared Cannonier
Middleweight Karl Roberson vs. Jack Marshman
Middleweight Derek Brunson vs. Israel Adesanya

I'm more stoked than I should be for what will probably be a snoozer of a main event. That puncher's chance though...

My crew is going to an indy Wrasslin' show first and then we are heading to a bar for the last two fights.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I actually am interested in seeing the Branch/Cannonier and Brunson/Israel fights more than the co-main event. Jared has looked tough at both Heavy and Light Heavy, despite being a natural middleweight. He has real skills on the feet and will probably move better at the lighter weight. If Branch struggles with the takedown, Jared could outland him enough for a finish/decision. Even if he gets the takedown, Cannonier's ground defence is p. good.

Adesanya is the future on the feet, but his ground game hasn't been truly tested. Brunson has good wrestling and a strong top game but he runs into punches sometimes too. Should be a wild fight while it lasts.

Weidman and Jacare are two guys that got whooped by a welterweight who refuses to diet and relies on his chin too much. I know Weidman won eventually but the style matchup really favored him so it shouldn't have been that close. His last three fights before that he got finished brutally. I can't get excited about overhyped mmatchups between guys that should have fought five years ago.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Meltzer reminded us of the main event shit show:
In needing a title fight for Madison Square Garden, the UFC booked two fighters on short notice to masquerade in what a title fight is supposed to be, which is a champion and a top contender who have trained to be at their best and peak on this given night.

Cormier, due to a hand break, had just one week before the fight was announced said that damage to his hand and wrist was healing slowly and wouldn’t allow him to fight until well into January. Instead, because the UFC made it financially worth his while, and perhaps because Lewis himself isn’t close to 100 percent, Cormier agreed to the fight.

For Lewis, it’s worse. Lewis just fought on Oct. 6, and while he did win via knockout with 11 seconds left in the fight, he took a beating for two rounds and much of the third. He sustained 78 shots to the head. He was exhausted quickly, and admitted he was not in shape for a title fight. He was nearly finished by repeated punches at another point.

He took enough of a beating that the Nevada commission ruled that he couldn’t have any contact until Oct. 28, and he was medically suspended until Nov. 6.

The latter date was an issue since the Madison Square Garden show was three days earlier. Of course, that was only a minor inconvenience, as suddenly his medical suspension was cut back and there was no problem fighting.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Paper Industry said:
I actually am interested in seeing the Branch/Cannonier and Brunson/Israel fights more than the co-main event. Jared has looked tough at both Heavy and Light Heavy, despite being a natural middleweight. He has real skills on the feet and will probably move better at the lighter weight. If Branch struggles with the takedown, Jared could outland him enough for a finish/decision. Even if he gets the takedown, Cannonier's ground defence is p. good.

giphy.gif

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
That KO was brutal. Normally when top fighters fall off like that, it's because they fight so far past their expiration date. But for someone to get wrecked in five straight fights while at their peak, man. It's hard to think of a great fighter that got beat worse in their prime.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/castelanrobert/status/1059078546197569536

I mean seriously. This, the Romero and Rockhold finishes are three of the worst beatdowns I've ever seen, and they all happened to the same guy.

Looking at his record, he was clearly beating on guys from another era who were well past their prime. He couldn't keep up with the guys from this era who could still fight.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Also, as much as I love Askren and am glad he's getting this hype, he's really untested against the top level guys. There hasn't been a UFC signing with this level of intrigue in some time. That's why other promotions are good for the sport. The UFC can't build all the stars, and some guys get overhyped due to fighting outside of the UFC and that helps them draw.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://streamable.com/r65te

Get you a man who loves you the way Dan Hooker loves Israel Adesanya.