Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

UFC 235

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.com/2019/02/jon-jones-ufc-235-two-adverse-drug-test-findings-three-negative-anthony-smith-nsac

Ummmmmmm…………

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also, card

Main Card (PPV)

Jon Jones vs Anthony Smith- LHW Championship
Tyron Woodley vs Kamaru Usman- WW Championship
Ben Askren vs Robbie Lawler
Welei Zhang vs Tecia Torres
Cody Garbrandt vs Pedo Munhoz

Prelims (ESPN)

Jeremy Stephens vs Zabit Magomedsharipov
Misha Cirkunov vs Johnny Walker
Cody Stamann vs Alejandro Perez
Diego Sanchez vs Mickey Gall

Prelims (Fight Pass)

Edmen Shahbahzyan vs Charlie Byrd
Gina Mazany vs Macy Chiasson
Polyanna Vianna vs Hannah Cifers

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is what happens when the UFC offers up shit like last months' PPV: when a great one comes along nobody cares.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
This card has a lot of big names, but a lot of the matchups seem one-sided on paper, at least to me. I'm surprised the odds are so close for Woodley/Usman, I think Woodley will run through him.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm really excited for this show. The main event probably will be a slaughter, but the way Jones is looking past Smith is giving me GSP/Serra 1 vibes. I might be more excited for Zabit/Stephens than anything on the show tbh.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
It also appears like interest in Jon Jones is significantly down going into this event. I don't know if it's because people don't care about him fighting Anthony Smith, or a backlash to the roids stuff. He's not getting as many Youtube views as Woodley or Askren, and other metrics seem to look bad too as far as interest in this event goes.

The Lawler/Askren odds are closer than a lot of people expected, but even though Lawler is past his best, he's still better comp than any of the guys Askren has faced the past few years. Terrible style matchup for Askren too, so it's a good way for people to see if he can replicate his style against ranked UFC competition.

I also think Zabit is gonna style on Stephens.

Staff member
Reaction score
I would bet everything in my bank account that he will be a champ.

Reaction score
Cody sucks. He fights like he’s spamming the power punch button. Too easy for someone experienced like Munhoz

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Jesus Christ. Robbie with the Death Valley driver and gave Askren more damage in thirty seconds than he’s taken in his whole career... only for the bulldog choke outta nowhere!

Robbie seems ok with the stoppage. Must have know he dipped out. Still not even sure if he did.

That fight also could have been stopped early. I’ve seen fighters take less damage than Askren did there and the ref call it.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I don’t know if I’ve seen a fighter less interested in being in a fight than Smith right now.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Youth N Asia said:
I don’t know if I’ve seen a fighter less interested in being in a fight than Smith right now.

Tyron Woodley

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Christ that fight was torture. Smith’s corner shouldn’t have let him come out for five. He was barely even moving in round four.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Card was pretty good up until the title fights, which is basically how I thought it would go down.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Jones needs to go to HW or stfu. I don't want to hear him talk about "young fighters coming up at LHW that look great" People aren't stupid, the LHW division is devoid of elite fighters at the proper stage in their career to be fighting for the title. The challenges for Bones are at HW where his reach advantage isn't going to neutralize opponent's offense. I don't need to see UFC just throwing guys at Bones way too early so Bones can pad his stats.

Staff member
Reaction score
Johnny Walker will beat Jones, 205 isn't devoid of anything.

Give Walker a step up fight and make it happen.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Firmino of the 909 said:
Johnny Walker will beat Jones, 205 isn't devoid of anything.

Give Walker a step up fight and make it happen.

You think he beats Bones right now, if they fight in the fall?

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's worth the risk. Give Walker someone like Gus and then if he wins have him fight Jones immediately. He could get outclassed, but it's worth trying anyone to see if they can beat Jones.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Big difference between the guys Walker has beaten and who Jones has.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Cruz dominates the commentary with analysis and Anik talks about facts nobody cares about. They both ignore the fight and don't have much passion when calling it. For all the shitting on Goldberg, at least he mostly called the action and would get excited when something happened. Rogan/Goldberg would have made the Lawler/Askren fight a lot cooler.

Regarding Robbie's arm, you're not really thinking about acting for the ref in that moment. When you're grappling, you can relax the arm because you're not using it. His arm was moving before Herb stepped in also, and it even looked like Herb apologized after the fight which is why they were slappin' hands. I personally thought it was a terrible stoppage and robbed Lawler of a career-defining win and a path to a title shot or perfect win to retire on. Also we missed out on a potentially GOAT-level fight/debut. They might try to run it back.

Askren looked like he went out from that GnP due to the same relaxed technique, rolling with the punches as best he could in that situation. Rogan even said he thought he was out cold. I thought it made Askren look bad to talk shit after that, and the crowd thought the same. I was super impressed though with his ability to still implement his skills after taking that much damage to the head. His toughness and athleticism is unreal.

I skipped most of the championship rounds for the two title fights. It became apparent what was gonna happen before that. Woodley really has issues with guys who make him fight backwards, that's why I thought that Colby had a better chance than others. I thought he would be able to counter Usman better but after the first round it was clear what was gonna happen. I also underrated Usman's wrestling skills, especially his ability to dominate the clinch. Jones was right, the Randy Couture era is back.

As much as I hate to admit it, Colby is a good heel. He gets people legit mad and interested in what he's doing. And he's super tough and skilled so he keeps winning to stay relevant. The Fake UFC title bit even works better now because the new look title is kinda shitty.