Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Was Marilyn Manson the greatest artist of our times?

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Today is the 15th anniversary of the release of Mechanical Animals, an album that I just assumed was terrible for a long time (in fact you can find posts of mine on old TSM dismissing it as a poseur move by a rocker desperate to gain artistic credibility by aping Bowie) until I actually heard it a few years ago and realized that I was fuckin' gay bro and it's actually awesome. I was going to devote the thread just to that but then realized he has so many sweet fuckin' hits that just limiting it to one album would be doing us all a disservice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EefPcht54c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQPJYnr48yU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwZV4Y95Nw

Use this thread to discuss and post your favorite Marilyn Manson jams.

Last edited:

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
"Mechanical Animals" is his best album, and one of the more underrated albums of the 90's. Granted, it's the only album of his I like, but it's still pretty great.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
My first multiple dose LSD experience was at a Marilyn Manson show at the end of my freshman year of high school. That whole night was juvenile delinquency at its best.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conservative Brony said:
Today is the 15th anniversary of the release of Mechanical Animals, an album that I just assumed was terrible for a long time (in fact you can find posts of mine on old TSM dismissing it as a poseur move by a rocker desperate to gain artistic credibility by aping Bowie) until I actually heard it a few years ago and realized that I was fuckin' gay bro and it's actually awesome.

Especially since it was more of a T. Rex cop, you fuckin' gay bro smh

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
My favorite aspect of Marilyn Manson has always been that he's very polite, well-spoken, and fairly well educated, which always baffled any interviewer that was trying to blame him for teen suicides, Columbine, etc.

I think Portrait of an American Family is still the best MM album, though the first three are all basically damn good hard rock albums. The schtick is so 90's that it hurts, though, but it still stands out pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmm8lGK1XZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFJoUBP54o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phjXoYqYE2U

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I used to love Manson as a teenager for his whole "shock " aspect. I was one of those 14 year old "rebels" who was like "omg, he's so dark and gothic and he plays death metal, bro" but I came to my senses years later. I don't think he's great (Alice Cooper did it better) but he has a couple of really good songs and can appreciate that they were just a flashy, heavier version of any 80's new wave band.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U7G1o0DpA8

Odds of Even and Warship My Wreck are my favorites

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm going through a listen through of his discography because I've been on a 90's rock kick. I've never heard anything after The Golden Age Of Grotesque, so this was kind of intriguing. He was pretty dull for a bit, but color me surprised that I've quite liked a few of his newer albums. The idea to introduce a bluesier sound in The Pale Emperor was a smart one as it has made his sound a lot fresher sounding. The album before that Born Villain was pretty good as well. I haven't heard the album he made in 2017 yet, but this listen through has been a surprise. He's done a way much better job than nearly all of his peers at adapting and giving his sound some fresh touches.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It seems like he's really channeled Jim Morrison more than Alice Cooper in the last few years and that's probably a wise move if he wants to maintain a menace. We know aging Alice Cooper is a novelty. Concept of an aged Jim Morrison is terrifying. How bad would the Doors' records have been in the '80s if Jim Morrison hadn't been such boozehound junkie?

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Morrison in the 80's would of definitely released a few horrible rap songs and tried to do some punk songs. I could also see him trying to adapt to every new genre of music except he would try to combine them all in one song. Grindcore/Nu-Wave/Hip Hop/Thrash Metal/New Jack Swing all in one song.

In addition to the Morrison influence, I think he was listening to a lot of Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds while making his last two albums. I also get a Queens Of The Stone Age vibe from the sound.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I never got into him, preferred NIN. Will use this as a starting place, though.

Henry Rollins said he really liked Manson until he saw his live show during the day, which makes sense.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I was trying to preview a post and I accidentally posted it. This new board fuckin sucks. Anyway

I'm going through a listen through of his discography because I've been on a 90's rock kick. I've never heard anything after The Golden Age Of Grotesque, so this was kind of intriguing. He was pretty dull for a bit, but color me surprised that I've quite liked a few of his newer albums. The idea to introduce a bluesier sound in The Pale Emperor was a smart one as it has made his sound a lot fresher sounding. The album before that Born Villain was pretty good as well. I haven't heard the album he made in 2017 yet, but this listen through has been a surprise. He's done a way much better job than nearly all of his peers at adapting and giving his sound some fresh touches.

Manson is very pretentious and views himself as an artiste so he has more motivation than many of his faded-glory 90s peers to continue to produce quality work. Not that he always succeeds of course. But he knew his work with Twiggy wasn't cutting it so he brought in Tyler Bates to write the music for his last two records. I'm a big fan of The Pale Emperor and I'm glad he played a lot of songs from it the first time I saw him. But Heaven Upside Down is a pretty weak follow up and shows that the partnership was already running out of steam. "Tattooed in Reverse" is a rewrite of "Killing Strangers" and "Kill4Me" is similar to "Third Day of a Seven Day Binge." I like "Blood Honey" and the title track but I don't listen to it very often. Supposedly he has a new countryish record coming out that he wrote with Shooter Jennings. Hope to hear it before he gets MeToo'd and cancelled.

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was trying to preview a post and I accidentally posted it. This new board fuckin sucks. Anyway

Manson is very pretentious and views himself as an artiste so he has more motivation than many of his faded-glory 90s peers to continue to produce quality work. Not that he always succeeds of course. But he knew his work with Twiggy wasn't cutting it so he brought in Tyler Bates to write the music for his last two records. I'm a big fan of The Pale Emperor and I'm glad he played a lot of songs from it the first time I saw him. But Heaven Upside Down is a pretty weak follow up and shows that the partnership was already running out of steam. "Tattooed in Reverse" is a rewrite of "Killing Strangers" and "Kill4Me" is similar to "Third Day of a Seven Day Binge." I like "Blood Honey" and the title track but I don't listen to it very often. Supposedly he has a new countryish record coming out that he wrote with Shooter Jennings. Hope to hear it before he gets MeToo'd and cancelled.

Heaven Upside Down was fine I guess but very unmemorable. A step back from Pale Emperor and Born Villain, but I didn't hate it. I didn't realize that he was already reusing ideas from the previous album. That and the countryish record which gives me Kid Rock vibes makes me think this next album might be trash.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I can't find the clip of him talking about punching the guy from New Radicals for his diss in "You Only Get What You Give."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That and the countryish record which gives me Kid Rock vibes makes me think this next album might be trash.
I feel like a Manson outlaw country record will be shockingly good or expectedly awful. No middle ground. Either way, it's going to be compelling. At the very least, it can't be worse than Danzig's Elvis Presley covers album!

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't find the clip of him talking about punching the guy from New Radicals for his diss in "You Only Get What You Give."

Courtney Love and all three members of Hanson probably could've kicked that guy's ass too. Just saying.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Courtney Love is #1. You never want to fight a legitimate crazy person. Marilyn Manson just wants us to think he's crazy. Isaac Hanson is #2 cause he's got a lot of pent up aggression over all of the jokes about him being the ugliest member of Hanson. Where the rest of the list pans depends on whether we're talking about '90s Hanson and Manson or current Hanson and Manson.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I think all five of the people mentioned against him have at least a decent shot of whooping Greg Alexander even if it's their '90s child iterations. He is wiry and unpredictable though. That's really his only advantage.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Just gave Antichrist Superstar a listen for the first time in years. Mostly enjoyed it. Will probably hit up Mechanical Animals before the weekend is over.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Listened to Mechanical Animals and think I liked it slightly more than AS. I know Holywood pretty well as that was the Manson album that came out right as I was getting into their music but am I really missing anything by leapfrogging over Eat Me, Drink Me?