Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Worst Stuff From Your Favorite Artists

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Green Day's "Warning" album isn't the worst thing ever, but definitely a testament to how secure they felt at the time. So secure that they diverted seriously from their usual shtick and put this out. By and large nothing on it fits what they did from their early EPs with John Kiffmeyer through "Nimrod." "Eh, we're millionaires, lets add random other shit to our act and see what happens." is how I imagine that session went. I blame, "Good Riddance." Great song, definitely different (at the time), but gave them the balls to go all out on the follow up album. When my entire CD collection went missing, replacing "Warning" was my lowest priority in their catalogue.

Weird Al is getting harder and harder to enjoy as I get further and further disconnected from popular music in the modern era. This is not the artist's problem though, this falls squarely on my shoulders.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Carnival of Souls is the only KISS album that I don't like any songs off of. Even the Tommy Thayer-Eric Singer era albums have songs I dig but it's just so weird that KISS thought it'd be a good idea to rip off Alice in Chains. Result of KISS ripping off Alice in Chains sounds like bad Collective Soul btw.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Oasis' Be Here Now is memorable for being pretty bad, even if several songs showed glimpses of being something if they could've been shortened or arranged better. Standing On the Shoulders of Giants is even worse with arguably its best song being "Go Let It Out" and the bonus track, "Let's All Make Believe," being better than anything on that album or BHN by a significant margin IMO.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I'm not going to bother with any links, but Exodus is the only album by Hikaru Utada I own, that I do not like. This Is the One was her worst album, commercially, but I've never listened to that one. "Coincidentally," those are the only two albums that she ever released in English, or in the US.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I heard Questlove talking about this song on a podcast and I can't believe even in the oblivious disco era, Tempts were able to get away with doing a song about raw dogging it and name an album (albeit one of their least successful ones) after it. WTH?
Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've had a real rollercoaster relationship with Lou Reed's solo stuff over the years but ultimately you know what fuck it even the lesser material has value. And I don't even much like Lulu but the condescension it was greeted with annoyed me.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"Oh, you think Set the Twilight Reeling is good?"
"Not at all, but its followup Ecstasy contains some of the best work of his career."

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"Come on, The Raven is an embarrassment."
"You're not wrong but also I've listened to every Reed album dozens of times and you haven't so shut up."

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The Raven is fascinating. Lived up to my expectations. I'll defend Lou, musically, forever. "Wrapper" just is so much of what I dislike, but I'm harder on the ones I love.

"Street Hassle" is the greatest song of all time btw.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I really like "The Chicken in Black."

• It's a goofy song along the lines of his classics "A Boy Named Sue" and "One Piece At A Time," and it did fairly well, reaching #45 on the Country chart. Cash later disowned it though, explaining in his autobiography that it was a parody aimed at his label, CBS, which dropped him two years later. He called it "intentionally atrocious."

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score

Album is a trash fire but Townshend's full on dive into songs about aging, fear of irrelevance, and paranoia of sexual inadequacy in the early '80s just slowly killed them deader than Moon. This is the antithesis of what the Who were and it just makes me so sad they didn't stop.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember I first heard this 10 years or so ago when for some godforsaken reason the local classic rock station played it during their weekday 10 PM Zep Set. I guess it seemed like a good idea in the late '80s but it's aged like milk. Ooooof x10,000.