Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Racism in wrestling (but mostly WWE) thread

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can kind of see it, especially when it comes to the underrated heel run Maven had that felt very early heel Rock. But Maven did have moments where he would do little things like trying to pull facial expressions like the Rock. Nothing at all to get bitched at for, especially by the only guy in the business Rock hates.
You found the reason Shawn said what he said in the first place.

Quite amusing that all these years later, Rock’s kid is under the thumb of Shawn.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The break in 2007 where he was working shows with Hogan using as Paul "The Great" Wight could've spun in a whole different direction for both of them.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Considering how outspoken MJF has been about the current rise of antisemitism , I’m sure he’d be totally willing to do an angle where someone throws coins at him for a babyface reaction.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Considering how outspoken MJF has been about the current rise of antisemitism , I’m sure he’d be totally willing to do an angle where someone throws coins at him for a babyface reaction.
I assumed Alvarez was suggesting this as a heel turn move, which…hey, maybe how about we just try a heel turn (or a clean finish) that doesn’t involve antisemitic overtones?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Jay Youngblood and Johnny Weaver (8)November 27, 1981MACW showAppalachia, Virginia1N/A
43Ox Baker and Carl FergieDecember 2, 1981MACW showN/A1N/A
44Jay Youngblood (2) and Porkchop CashJanuary 29, 1982MACW showCharleston, South Carolina1N/A
45Don Kernodle and Pvt. Jim NelsonMay 22, 1982MACW showN/A1N/A
46Porkchop Cash (2) and Iceman ParsonsJune 1, 1982MACW showN/A116
47Don Kernodle and Jim NelsonJune 17, 1982MACW showRoanoke, Virginia266
48Ricky Steamboat (5) and Jay Youngblood (3)August 22, 1982MACW showToronto1202
VacatedMarch 12, 1983Upon winning the NWA World Tag Team Championship.
49One Man Gang and Kelly KiniskiMay 23, 1983MACW showGreenville, South Carolina158Defeat Mike Rotunda and Rufus R. Jones in tournament final.
50Rufus R. Jones and Bugsy McGrawJuly 20, 1983MACW showEmporia, Virginia1N/A
VacatedAugust 2, 1983
51Long Riders
(Ron Bass and Black Bart)
August 25, 1984MACW showN/A1N/A

Not exactly a who's who of legend tag teams getting the MACW belts at the time, so Wahoo having some racist booking ideals could have played a role. One could also look at house shows where Iceman/Porkchop were on to see if their angles were drawing/getting over.
You can't argue workrate being an issue with Rufus, Ox, Bore-us Zhukov, etc getting the strap

Parsons never sniffed the majors again until the Superclash 3 stuff. Porkchop got a mid card tag push with Watts and did jobs for Vince.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
I'd argue Iceman was closer to the majors while he was in World Class than he was during the SuperClash stuff. People forget exactly how many markets that show got syndicated to. I get the SuperClash hype was on ESPN but that was still a time when a lot of people still didn't have cable, and even as a wrestling fan it was hard to find the AWA show at times

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd argue Iceman was closer to the majors while he was in World Class than he was during the SuperClash stuff. People forget exactly how many markets that show got syndicated to. I get the SuperClash hype was on ESPN but that was still a time when a lot of people still didn't have cable, and even as a wrestling fan it was hard to find the AWA show at times
83-85 it's a toss up to argue who was in 4th place behind Vince, Crockett and Verne. Ole, Von Erich, Watts, etc.
GCW had the legendary TV slot.
Watts had his greatest drawing year in 84 but I'm not sure how far they reached.
WCCW got TV in the Twin Cities in 84 as the WON reported their tape "mysteriously" was wrecked before it could make air.

By 86 WCCW might have TV deals but the promotion was on it's ass.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Iceman was bigger before Wrestlemania than he ever was after.