Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tbh...it's a major shock that I've seen much worse early '90s depictions of the internet.

Also I had no idea Tenay was in WCW's orbit pre When Worlds Collide, I always thought he came on their radar then.

GIVE US A TENAY EPISODE OF 83 WEEKS, CONRAD THOMPSON, YOU COWARD!

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
And that's why only cowards don't let the camera guys get close. That kind of thing added elements of unpredictability, even if it was a botch.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I flip-flop on WCW's camera work a lot, but it's always good when the cameraman eats it during a match in general.

Keep that shit outta Wargames though. That bugs me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That whole PPV is really weird. It's the one show after Eric Bischoff got fired but before Vince Russo got in. In The Death of WCW, they said that things were in such disarray that WCW didn't even send a description to the cable providers of what was going to be on the show so some of them just wrote "Order Fall Brawl '99 on September 12th! They haven't told us what's going to be on the show so you know it'll be exciting!"

Did WCW know they were eventually going to bring in Russo when they fired Bischoff in September '99 or were their other options floated around? I supposed I could go to r/squaredcircle to read old Observer recaps but @cobainwasmurdered is already mad enough at me.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
That whole PPV is really weird. It's the one show after Eric Bischoff got fired but before Vince Russo got in. In The Death of WCW, they said that things were in such disarray that WCW didn't even send a description to the cable providers of what was going to be on the show so some of them just wrote "Order Fall Brawl '99 on September 12th! They haven't told us what's going to be on the show so you know it'll be exciting!"

Did WCW know they were eventually going to bring in Russo when they fired Bischoff in September '99 or were their other options floated around? I supposed I could go to r/squaredcircle to read old Observer recaps but @cobainwasmurdered is already mad enough at me.
Wiki:
On September 10, 1999, Bischoff was relieved of his management position with WCW by Turner Sports chief Harvey Schiller. The job title "President of WCW" was eliminated. He was replaced with WCW Vice President of Strategic Planning Bill Busch, who was named Senior Vice President (Handling the creative of the company with Brad Siegel handling the day to day ops). One of Busch's first acts in charge was the additions of former WWF head writer Vince Russo and his colleague Ed Ferrara (both of whom had worked on Raw when the show began to overtake Nitro in the ratings) to head up WCW's creative direction.[8]

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah and there's that other story from The Death of WCW about how WCW conducted a poll of its fans in Summer of 1999 about what they wanted to see from the product; less interviews, vignettes, and more focus on the in-ring product then they did literally the exact opposite and hired Vince Russo & Ed Ferrara and I think they may have even fired the executive who spearheaded the survey.

I feel like Bill Busch isn't brought up enough IRT people who ruined WCW although obviously, Eric Bischoff sure likes to point an accusatory finger towards him a lot.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When you think about it, not only was the roster bloated but Bischoff had just spent millions to work deals with KISS, Master P and Dennis Rodman (again) over the summer months, all for the numbers to at best stagnate. ATM Eric probably earned his dismissal.

All those contracts the A listers had signed wasn't really going to allow WCW to suddenly turn back into a blood and guts wrasslin' show.

Fall Brawl main event: Hogan vs Sting. DDP vs Goldberg. Sid vs Benoit. Plus Rey and Eddy face the Insane Clown Posse! Harlem Heat fight Henning and Windham. Alex Wright gets repackaged to face Jim Duggan and Dean Malenko loses on PPV in tag action against Hugh Morris and Knobbs!!!! Holy Hell.

(This post made me realize I didn't even gander at Eric's podcast topic this AM. A bit of an indictment of the recent meh trend of doing the 96 stuff week after week.)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's an interview with Sean Waltman.

I won't deny that Bischoff earned a dismal or at least a very lengthy vacation since he had been more burnt and dried out than a well done steak for over a year. Idk if anyone could have saved WCW by September of '99 but Vince Russo, even at the time as an 11 year old with rudimentary knowledge of the inner workings of wrestling, seemed like the exact wrong choice. Did Bill Busch just assume all rasslin fans liked the same stuff and/or thought that all of the people who stopped watching WCW in '98-'99 just went over to WWF?

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Goofy 2000 match notwithstanding, any particular reason why WCW stopped doing War Games after FB '98? Was the ring set up a bitch that cut into gate profits?

I had a best of FB tape that WCW released in 1999 and it had the '98 WG match in its entirety. What a weird concept. Three teams of three men each but it was every man for himself. Winner got a shot at the world title.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't recall 83 Weeks' episodes on Fall Brawl but judging on my listening history though, I'm guessing Eric Bischoff didn't really that strong of an attachment to WarGames and WCW booking was so discombobulated in the Summer/Fall of '99 that who the hell would you put in WarGames '99?

I guess you could do SID, Rick Steiner, and The New Jersey Triad Vs Goldberg, Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Sting, and Lex Luger...which is not great but better than Fall Brawl '99 we got. Just wonder how crappy that undercard would be if they did a WarGames.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That WarGames set is one of my favorites. Fun to see the matches slow decline during Bischoff era into an outright plummet with '98 and WarGames 2000.

Laz

Reaction score
I had a best of FB tape that WCW released in 1999 and it had the '98 WG match in its entirety. What a weird concept. Three teams of three men each but it was every man for himself. Winner got a shot at the world title.
The highlight of that match was Piper and I won't hear an argument against it. His goofy as fuck face and mannerisms on his way to the ring were incredible.

And the match would've been better if the winners had to then face off in a Triple Threat match a few weeks later on Nitro (to boost that anticipation) for the World title shot. I don't know how good it actually could have been, but a DDP/Piper/Warrior would at least be a good entry in the "matches you didn't know existed" thread.

Laz

Reaction score
Yeahhhhh...that's the problem, isn't it? Can't have Warrior take the fall, Piper was renowned for not doing the job (though he would for people he liked and respected), so that leaves a schmozz count out finish.

...maybe do the Rocky II ending after Warrior chases Hogan and the nWo away, double KO spot with Piper/Page, but Page answers the 10 count first.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe Randy Savage could've talked Piper into doing the job for DDP if that match would've happened.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Piper eased his stance on jobbing a bit in his WCW run SLIGHTLTY. He did jobs to Hollywood Hogan (although he might have been the only dude to beat Hogan twice in WCW---if not in general?), Scott Hall, and even Buff Bagwell in that GD stupid boxing match. Not that any of them were remotely clean but I feel like he would've done a clean job for the right reasons/payday.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The only comp to Piper I can think of is...Arn Anderson. Hogan did the job for him on 2 consecutive Nitros! A dq or countout and a pin after the Hulkster got a Woman's shoe upside the head.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Non-title match: Lex Luger defeated Hollywood Hogan

The final match of the event saw Lex Luger and The Giant taking on nWo members Hollywood Hogan and Dennis Rodman. Luger and Giant picked up the victory when Hogan tapped out to Luger’s Torture Rack.

Lex Luger defeated Hollywood Hogan (c) to win the WCW World Heavyweight Championship

--
He also got beat in at least 4 PPV or TV matches by Sting.
Starrcade 97, Superbrawl 98, Fall Brawl 99, Halloween Havoc 99
---

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Halloween Havoc '99 hardly counts cause it was the precursor to Bash at the Beach '00. Hogan just came out in his street clothes and lied down for Sting and sulked off. Friggin Russo.

But yeah, for a guy who is historically known for refusing to job, Hogan has done a lot of jobs in the past 25 years. Like I don't think he's put over as many guys as Flair but for a main event/legend, he's done the deed about the average amount. Piper and especially Warrior have done way less jobs than him.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Halloween Havoc '99 hardly counts cause it was the precursor to Bash at the Beach '00. Hogan just came out in his street clothes and lied down for Sting and sulked off. Friggin Russo.

But yeah, for a guy who is historically known for refusing to job, Hogan has done a lot of jobs in the past 25 years. Like I don't think he's put over as many guys as Flair but for a main event/legend, he's done the deed about the average amount. Piper and especially Warrior have done way less jobs than him.
Looking it up was funny. He did 2 jobs to Tony Atlas in 1981, then 1 loss to Tiget Jeet Singh in Japan, one to Inoki (via submission!) and then nothing until the Andre NBC match and then the Warrior. So basically 3 losses in 8 years from mid 81-90.