Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2004-2009 Music (RIP Heath Ledger)

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Usher owned 2004. The Confessions album was the last one to have 10 million in sales before Adele several years later I believe.

Those plus "Confessions, Pt II." and "My Boo" all hit #1.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
You basically just played that entire album at any school dance/party and you were set for the night.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
This was the period where I was really starting to transition from grunge/post-grunge into industrial and goth discovering Kidneythieves, Blacktape For a Blue Girl, Within Temptation, Collide, Android Lust, Voltaire, etc. so that was a good time of music discovery for me.

Kamala The Simp

Integral Poster
You basically just played that entire album at any school dance/party and you were set for the night.
As someone who was in high school from 2003 to 2007, I think people really underestimate how huge Usher was during that era. People forget there was a brief window where he was challenging for the top guy in pop status. Now no one really thinks about him except when that overweight women sued him cause she alleged he gave her STDs. I guess it's not the worst fate for a fading pop star to have.

Other thing that stands about this era is it is when mainstream rock music turned to complete ass after a promising revival from '01 to '03. As bad as nu-metal is, at least it was memorably charmingly bad. Idk how many ironic Five Finger Death Punch and Hinder memes there will be in 10 years.

Valeyard

Burn
I dug everything Usher except "Yeah." But again I don't know if I could go back. Some really, really strong memories tied up there.

2006 was a hell of a year.

Kamala The Simp

Integral Poster
I remember Hinder's "Lips of an Angel" and Evanesence's "My Immortal" as slow dance songs. I usually tried to run outside cause no one wanted to dance with me and even if they did, the former sucked ass and isn't the latter about a dead person @HarleyQuinn ?

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
I remember Hinder's "Lips of an Angel" and Evanesence's "My Immortal" as slow dance songs. I usually tried to run outside cause no one wanted to dance with me and even if they did, the former sucked ass and isn't the latter about a dead person @HarleyQuinn ?
The latter is most likely about a dead person but never forget that people used The Police's Every Breath You Take as a legitimate love song to marry/dance to so...

Valeyard

Burn
Youtube told me to watch Gwen Stefani videos around the time she had those Japanese girls following her as her gimmick. I had forgotten how incredibly attractive she was. Then she sampled Fiddler On The Roof and that feeling of shame reentered my life.

Kamala The Simp

Integral Poster
FBwME-6XMAEt983

sobbing noises