Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2004-2009 Music (RIP Heath Ledger)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There was an interesting article in Vulture or The Ringer or some other publication that I love and Inc hate reads a few years back about how 2003-12 is lost era of music cause it was in declining years of physical media but before streaming services really got kicking. '00s music as a whole feels like it holds up a lot better than I thought it would a disillusioned, grumpy teen. Not that it holds a candle to the '60s, '80s, or '90s but there's a fair amount of forgotten gems.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
File sharing existed and still does. The Limewire Generation made it possible to stream so greedy pirates like myself can hear music reasonably proper instead of crusty dialup files. The vast majority of music I have was obtained by the price others paid so I could listen to it. Napster invented bitcoin.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am not sure what was dumber predicting that Scissor Sisters would be a generational defining act or Electric Six would be selling out arenas.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Arctic Monkey's were tapped to take over the world in like 2004. They had that hot debut then seemingly fell off the earth.

Arcade Fire was another band that got lots of hype with their debut record.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Scissor Sisters were extremely popular among the crowd I was with so I got bubble'd into thinking they were bigger.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I started this era all about Shadows Fall and Unearth, spent most of it going to Gwar and Municipal Waste shows, and ended it worshipping Suffocation and Dying Fetus.

That's about all I can add here.

Valeyard

Reaction score
There's a likely chance you said something on the old board that made me get into Gwar for a while.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
People were talking about Arcade Fire and Death Cab like they were gonna be indie greats alongside Pavement and Sebadoh gtfo

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Funeral is better than any Pavement album
DarlingFrigidGoral-size_restricted.gif

I like this era way more than 2014-2021. I think 2013 was the last year where there were like 10 albums I really loved.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Arcade Fire and Death Cab (and Modest Mouse, My Morning Jacket, Doomtree/Dessa, Iron & Wine, etc) are absolutely on Pavement's level. Above Sebadoh if not Dino Jr.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I never got into the Postal Service but Iron & Wine is fucking awesome. Especially his earlier input (2004-2007 to fit the thread's narrative).

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Low put out two of my favorite albums of their's during this period as well (The Great Destroyer and Drums & Guns). Mountain Goats had some classics too in this period like Sunset Tree and Heretic Pride.

04-09 was great for indie rock. I wish I didn't waste so much time around my friends listening to a ton of subgenres with the words scene or core in them.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
I discovered so much stuff over that period. Still in love with Regina Spektor, still not sure if I like Firey Furnaces, still just go back to Tom Waits killing it.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
In hindsight, there was some great hip hop from this era- Doom had"Madvillain and "Mm...Food?", Kanye had"College Drop Out" and "Late Registration", Clipse put out "Hell Hath No Fury", Cunninglinguists released "A Piece of Strange", Little Brother released "The Minstrel Show"...I could go on and on.

Also a good time for Black Metal-Drudkh, Deathspell Omega, Ruins of Beverast, Wolves in the Throne Room, Negura Bunget and Enslaved have some real gems.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
It's so hard for me to go back to those Kanye albums. I should try again soon.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
This was one of my favorite releases of 2005, and probably a top 20 favorite release for me.
87472.jpg

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's so hard for me to go back to those Kanye albums. I should try again soon.

Agreed. Those frst 2 records are fantastic musically. But it is so hard, if not impossible (for me anyway) to separate that music with his horrible choices afterward. I have empathy for mental health diagnoses but so much of what West has done has been, to be clear, chosen behaviors. A lot of people have confused excuse making with actual mental health and I do not choose to partake in that damaging bullshit.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It was just such a special time. To me, this guy came out of nowhere and put out a couple of the best albums of the past ten years back to back, before being outed as a gay fish. In a sense it's great someone with the issues he has was able to make albums that good before he just cracked, but frankly as someone who has spent a long time dealing with people that have all kinds of psychological problems a lot just are assholes and there's reluctance to just say it. He'd be fascinating if he wasn't so...Kanye.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
This was one of my favorite releases of 2005, and probably a top 20 favorite release for me.
87472.jpg
This is one of those times I gotta say "Never change man"

2004 is actually a pretty great year for metal and hard rock. We got

• Mastodon - Leviathan
  • Isis - Panopticon
  • Converge - You Fail Me
  • Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer
  • Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm
  • Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
  • Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
  • Orphaned Land - Mabool
  • Cult of Luna - Salvation