Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2004-2009 Music (RIP Heath Ledger)

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Those Pig Destroyer and Disillusion releases are fucking incredible, too.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Usher owned 2004. The Confessions album was the last one to have 10 million in sales before Adele several years later I believe.

Those plus "Confessions, Pt II." and "My Boo" all hit #1.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You basically just played that entire album at any school dance/party and you were set for the night.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
This was the period where I was really starting to transition from grunge/post-grunge into industrial and goth discovering Kidneythieves, Blacktape For a Blue Girl, Within Temptation, Collide, Android Lust, Voltaire, etc. so that was a good time of music discovery for me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You basically just played that entire album at any school dance/party and you were set for the night.
As someone who was in high school from 2003 to 2007, I think people really underestimate how huge Usher was during that era. People forget there was a brief window where he was challenging for the top guy in pop status. Now no one really thinks about him except when that overweight women sued him cause she alleged he gave her STDs. I guess it's not the worst fate for a fading pop star to have.

Other thing that stands about this era is it is when mainstream rock music turned to complete ass after a promising revival from '01 to '03. As bad as nu-metal is, at least it was memorably charmingly bad. Idk how many ironic Five Finger Death Punch and Hinder memes there will be in 10 years.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I dug everything Usher except "Yeah." But again I don't know if I could go back. Some really, really strong memories tied up there.

2006 was a hell of a year.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
"Yeah" was the only song I i remember being played at my senior prom. Well, that and "Get Low".

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember Hinder's "Lips of an Angel" and Evanesence's "My Immortal" as slow dance songs. I usually tried to run outside cause no one wanted to dance with me and even if they did, the former sucked ass and isn't the latter about a dead person @HarleyQuinn ?

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember Hinder's "Lips of an Angel" and Evanesence's "My Immortal" as slow dance songs. I usually tried to run outside cause no one wanted to dance with me and even if they did, the former sucked ass and isn't the latter about a dead person @HarleyQuinn ?
The latter is most likely about a dead person but never forget that people used The Police's Every Breath You Take as a legitimate love song to marry/dance to so...

Valeyard

Reaction score
Youtube told me to watch Gwen Stefani videos around the time she had those Japanese girls following her as her gimmick. I had forgotten how incredibly attractive she was. Then she sampled Fiddler On The Roof and that feeling of shame reentered my life.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
FBwME-6XMAEt983

sobbing noises

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Of all the covers of The Beach Boys that have been done over the past six decades, this is certainly one of them.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They're a novelty band when it comes down to it, and interest depends on how badly one wants to insert themselves into Zooey. So eh.

I really do wish there was more "Heroes And Villains" though because I just love "Heroes And Villains."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was like "Wait. Zooey isn't dating M. Ward, right?" And I was right. Then I looked up who she is currently dating.

It's one of The Property Brothers

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brooklyn Vegan's been an indie music site since @Incandenza was in his prime.

Maybe Mayor Adams will inspire dietary change from @Brooklyn Zoo tho.

Edit---Wikipedia is telling me that Brooklyn Vegan did start out partly as a site to cover the indie music scene and NYC's vegan restaurants, @Mickey Massuco . I doubt Coney Island has any good fried tofu spots but maybe Mayor Adams will harass Nathan's.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Always hated Conor Oberst. I'd have dug that show.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, Bright Eyes was another band that all of my friends loved but I could never get into them no matter how hard I tried.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm surprised that bands continuing a performance after their lead singers suddenly leave is not an entirely infrequent occurrence. Of course, most famously there was that Foo Fighters show 7 or 8 years ago where Dave Grohl broke his leg and Taylor Hawkins took over for a few songs before they canceled. There was also a time when I was doing a comedy show and Wynonna Judd was supposed to play in the big room at the venue but got violent food poisoning before she went on stage. So her backing band played a set and a lot of the crowd just wandered down to the basement to watch my goofy mumbo jumbo.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
She & Him's Beach Boys tribute is coming to Maine in September. Tough decision between that and the bluegrass tribute to The Who (personally endorsed by Pete Townsend!) for concert that Valeyard would want to peer pressure me into going to more.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Bluegrass Who is the epitome of a show to get drunk at, I'm sure.