Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2009 Wimbledon

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Too bad Hewitt and Murray lost in the last 2 rounds to the AMERICAN BUZZSAW, but there's an absolute classic going on right now. 10-10 in the fifth set with Roddick and Federer.

I like tennis sometimes, usually when I actually know who's playing. Yesterday's womans final was good too.

Lei Tong

...un pocho pendejo, at that!
Reaction score
The level of play isn't as high as last year's final, but still fairly entertaining. Things aren't looking great for Fed, as Roddick is coming much closer to breaking Roger's serve than vice versa.

N

naiwf

Lei Tong said:
The level of play isn't as high as last year's final, but still fairly entertaining. Things aren't looking great for Fed, as Roddick is coming much closer to breaking Roger's serve than vice versa.

That's my take too. It's basically just been the server teeing off and the occasional scare. The few rallies have tended to end with errors and there really hasn't been much drama for 11-12 in the 5th.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah but it's still 12-12 either way. That's something on its own. You think someone would have been broken by now. =o

Lei Tong

Reaction score
Sampras certainly looks like he's ready for someone to break.

Lei Tong

Reaction score
Federer takes it, 16-14 in the final set. Record-breaking 15 majors.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see they had the commercials lined up already. Great for Fed though, I'm glad he got it done. Tough loss for Roddick, but maybe he can finally play up to his potential going forward.

As far as Federer being the G.O.A.T., he is in my book, but there's still the elephant in the room known as Rafael Nadal that some people will point to when stating the reasons why Fed isn't the greatest.

Lei Tong

Reaction score
Yeah, Roddick looked much improved this tournament, but it's probably little consolation for Andy given that this was probably his best chance to topple Fed on his best court.

EDIT: Man, Andy doesn't even get to top the emotional letdown Fed faced last year, culminating in Johnny Mac's bro-tastic hug.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Federer: "I've been through some tough ones including one here last year."

pissed off looking Roddick: "You've won five of them!"

Sampras sucks.

Lei Tong

Reaction score
How anti-climatic to go from watching that to women's doubles. Ugh.

Danville_Wrestling

Danville_Wrestling
Reaction score
I like what I saw out of Roddick this tournament, but when Federer started to demolish him when he had serve near the end, blanking him on two occassions, I knew time was running out for Andy. I have to give Roddick credit for at least challenging Federer because I was fearing yet another blowout like they have had in the past. A win here would've been huge for Roddick, but as it stands now he's like all the other male tennis players at the moment shut out of the majors by the Federer/Nadal domination.