Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2020 Election

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score
These are the people who are running for President of the US or might be in 2020, in no particular order.

R
Donald Trump
John Kasich

D
Bernie Sanders
Joe Biden
Elizabeth Warren
Corey Booker
Kamala Harris
Kirsten Gillibrand
Oprah Winfrey
Julian Castro
Mark Zuckerberg
John Delaney
Eric Holder
Amy Klobuchar
Martin O'Malley
John Hickenlooper
Terry McAuliffe
Sherrod Brown
Chris Murphy
Andrew Cuomo
Deval Patrick
Jerry Brown
Howard Schultz
Andrew Yang
Peter Buttigieg
Jason Kander

?
The Rock

Let me know if I've left anyone off.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Rock said he'd be more likely to run in 2024 as he has too many commitments to do 2020 so we're spared that particular media circus for now.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
alex-jones-696x394.png

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score
3/4 joke responses, and 1/4 serious discussion of the Rock's likelihood of running. Good work so far, team.

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score
I like Kander, but I haven't heard anything other than people wanting him to run.

Added them to the list anyway.

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score
Underestimate Trump’s Reelection Odds at Your Own Peril
Kyle Kondik, Managing Editor, Sabato's Crystal Ball

Trump’s reelection odds may be better than many realize

...The Abramowitz model will make its 2020 projection officially using 2020’s second quarter GDP growth and whatever Trump’s approval is at that time. Still, we can plug in current numbers to give a sense of what the model might project. Right now, Trump’s net approval rating is -16 points according to Gallup (39% approve/55% disapprove), and 2017’s fourth quarter GDP growth (the most recent quarter available) was 2.9%, according to the most recent revision from the Bureau of Economic Analysis. Using those figures in Abramowitz’s model projects Trump with 51.6% of the national two-party vote. Even if Trump were to underperform the model again, like he did in 2016, it would still make the election a Toss-up, especially because Trump could win again without winning the national popular vote given the demographic patterns of his support.

So the United States could reelect an incumbent president with an average approval in low 40s? Yes. And, actually, that’s perhaps what we should even expect given the performance of similarly-situated incumbents across many different countries...

Incumbents get a boost in the Ipsos model, though, just like in Abramowitz’s model. Young and Clark suggest that as long as an incumbent is at 40% approval or better, that person is probably at least a little likelier to win than lose. So Trump, at 41.9% approval in the RealClearPolitics average, would be capable of winning reelection, if not outright favored, if that’s where his approval rating is in fall 2020...

We think the decent economy is helping Trump maintain a weak but passable approval rating despite all of the swirling controversies of his presidency. If the economy weakens, Trump may dip back into the 30s in approval and further complicate his reelection path.

But assuming Trump is on the ballot, and assuming his approval rating stays around the 40% mark, it would probably be wrong to assume he’s an underdog for reelection. That’s not to say he would be a sure winner, but he wouldn’t be a sure loser, either.

The biggest mistake analysts made in 2016 was believing that Trump was such a weak candidate that he would prove to be unelectable even though a close reading of historical results, both in the United States and elsewhere, suggested that any Republican would be a formidable contender for the White House in a year like 2016, when the Democrats were attempting the difficult task of winning the presidency a third consecutive time (and they had nominated a weak candidate to face Trump). That same history, a history that is built into models like the Ipsos and Abramowitz models, suggests an incumbent in Trump’s position will not be a pushover unless his approval and/or the economy significantly decline from their present levels.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/underestimate-trumps-reelection-odds-at-your-own-peril/

The article also contains a link to a counter argument.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We're talking about the American Voter here. There's at least a 50/50 chance of Trump being reelected.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I don't think anyone would vote for Zuck.....

Mark if your listening, I love Facebook. Please don't hurt me.

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score
One of the smartest articles I've read on 2016 / 2020:

Liberals must accept that beating Trump was never going to be easy, or they'll lose to him again

Many Democrats feel intuitively that any candidate could've beaten the Trump in the last election. But that ignores reality.

Donald Trump was and is an unusual candidate with a lot of unprecedented liabilities, for certain, but he also had some real strengths. Beating him as an incumbent president will require facing the latter head-on, not simply fixating on the former.

The idea that beating Trump should have been easy took hold because it seems intuitively right to some people — even today, it can be hard for educated liberals to take the idea of President Donald J. Trump seriously...

But the idea that the 2016 election shouldn’t have been close at all — which is at the heart of this idea — is itself counterfactual. The exceptionally high levels of partisan polarization in the last decade inherently puts a high floor and a low ceiling on the number of Electoral College votes even a weak candidate can obtain. In 2008, John McCain (running an unenergetic campaign in extremely unfavorable conditions for the incumbent party with a disastrous vice-presidential pick, against an uncommon political talent running a nearly flawless campaign) still got 46% of the popular vote and 173 electoral votes. For Clinton or some other Democrat to have won in a landslide would’ve required significant numbers of Republican voters to desert Trump in her or his favor. That didn’t happen in 2016 and, barring something akin to a complete economic collapse, it won’t happen in 2020 either...

Whomever the eventual Democratic candidate is will need to do two big things: Put together an appealing policy agenda, and look ready to fight for it...

But it would be a mistake to think that running on attractive economic agenda can, in itself, make the election “about economics” and disarm Trump’s powerful appeals to white identity. As Coates argued, economic issues cannot be neatly isolated from so-called “identity politics” — which is one reason that many people who support programs created and expanded by Democrats but opposed by Republicans nonetheless vote for the latter party.

The Democratic nominee will thus also have to emphasize the threat Trump poses to vulnerable populations and mobilize the nonwhite base of the party...

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/liberals-must-accept-beating-trump-was-never-going-be-easy-ncna871056

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1062875546785402881

Damn there goes our only hope

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I won't pretend to have any knowledge of whether or not Avenatti is guilty but I highly doubt that Jacob Wohl and his silly-ass fake intelligence firm actually were responsible for his arrest. Now I don't follow anyone on Twitter who would support Mike but I do read radical centrist gaming forum resetera.com and half of the resistance libs there seemed to take this probable joke tweet as definitive proof that Avenatti was framed, as though the man who burst into the national public consciousness by pretending to have photos of Donald Trump's penis couldn't possibly be disreputable. Regardless of guilt I really would be fine with never having to hear from or about this embarrassing blowhard ever again. Anyway,

https://twitter.com/mikerecine/status/1063115692172554240

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/12/11/biden-2020-running-mate-romney-222861?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Biden Should Run on a Unity Ticket With Romney
It could totally work. Here’s how.

LOL BRILLIANT

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.nbcnews.com/card/dnc-announces-it-will-hold-12-debates-2020-presidential-race-n950431

12 Democratic Debates, half of them in 2019 starting in June and they're expecting a field potentially as big as 20-30 although how many of those will be invited is unsaid as they won't reveal their exact methods for deciding yet.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
NY Times:

(S) "Senator Elizabeth Warren, the Massachusetts Democrat and a sharp critic of big banks and unregulated capitalism, entered the 2020 race for president on Monday, becoming the first major candidate in what is likely to be a long and crowded primary marked by ideological and generational divisions in a Democratic Party desperate to beat President Trump."

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/SenWarren/status/1080247369420161025

This seems tone deaf. She should donate money to those workers without a paycheck.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
That's why I've never dug her after seeing her over so many years. You ask me about her in 2010 and I'm head over heels after hearing her speak while acting as head of the US bailouts. In retrospect, she was head of that process because she had a bond with those business interests which allowed it to work properly. Yeah, you'll hit the right notes, but not in the right places. That might fool enough Democrats. It helps with the Democratic Party at large that she went with Hillary over Bernie. Eaten alive in the general if she faces Shitbag.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
I'mma need to read Position Papers for each Democratic candidate, because it's hard for me to not think that most, if not all, are running in the same fashion and trying to cultivate the same sorts of voters.