Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2020 MOTYC/Recommend A Match

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
8/10 Shiozaki Vs Kenou

Great match. some of Kenou's leg selling was shaky i thought but this was a war for the entire 60 minutes. They went hard at each other with some absolutely brutal strikes

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
11/22 Sasha Vs Asuka
11/22 Roman Vs Drew

Sasha Vs Asuka was a fun match mostly worked around matwrestling and them knowing each other TOO WELL. Not going to say it was best of the year buy fun times.

Roman-Drew managed to feel like a big match in the thunderdome.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Well, I may get some flak for mentioning two WWE TV matches in a week but I really dug the Riddle-Sheamus match on tonight’s RAW (11/23)

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
you like what you like! when I was watching WWE tv there were matches I really liked. the wrestling wasn't the big issue

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dangerous Tekkers Vs Guerillas of Destiny- World Tag League-11/22

I’m usually apathetic about heel Vs Heel matches in NJPW but this one was pretty damn good and deviated just enough from the usual “We’ll see who can cheat more” formula.

World Tag League has been a pleasant little surprise. A lot of these teams are bringing a lot of effort for NJPW’s least important tournament. I am cautiously optimistic about state of tag team wrestling in NJPW for the first time ever.

They are like two tag teams away from having a good division tbh.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
the problem is that they don't really sustain it outside of the tag league. They can put together some really good teams for a couple of months but the only really keep a couple consistently working together enough that you think of them as a real team. I'd like to believe that it will change.

I think a better use of Okada instead of him having a terrible feud with Yujiro for instance would have been him teaming up with his little buddy YOSHIHASHI or some young lion they really love to go after the tag titles to prove he isn't just a singles star.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say the entirety of Dragon Gate's Dangerous Gate is a good watch, but to limit it to one match

9/21/2020 - Naruki Doi vs Kzy

need to revisit their title match from last February, but atm I think this surpasses that one for DG MOTY

Finally watched this show @Slayer . I really liked Doi/Kzy especially since Kzy won. Entire show was really great but personally I would add

9/21 Minoura/JasonLee Vs DragonKid/Yokosuka

to the list. Great tag action. DG is the company that does tag teams (and trios) the best hands down. AJPW generally has a very good division as well but the lack of depth hurts them. Highly reccomend @King Kamala try DG and dangerous gate is a pretty decent point to get in i think as the Survival Cage Match is where the big angles went down setting up everything else for the rest of the year and I think it is top to bottom one of the best shows of the year for any company.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
the problem is that they don't really sustain it outside of the tag league. They can put together some really good teams for a couple of months but the only really keep a couple consistently working together enough that you think of them as a real team. I'd like to believe that it will change.
Yeahs I think a wait and see attitude is wise. But honestly, if SANADA and Shingo Takagi aren’t going to get the massive singles most of us want, I’d be psyched if they stayed together to become a permanent top tag team.

And honestly, maybe in spite of myself, I am really digging THE EMPIRE so far. Just a nice old school monster heel team.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
i would for sanada/shingo to be a regular team and be pushed for sure. the empire being a monster heel team is also good stuff.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Dangerous Tekkers Vs Guerillas of Destiny- World Tag League-11/22

I’m usually apathetic about heel Vs Heel matches in NJPW but this one was pretty damn good and deviated just enough from the usual “We’ll see who can cheat more” formula.

World Tag League has been a pleasant little surprise. A lot of these teams are bringing a lot of effort for NJPW’s least important tournament. I am cautiously optimistic about state of tag team wrestling in NJPW for the first time ever.

They are like two tag teams away from having a good division tbh.

I really liked this one. All the work on the outside made for an entertaining match. 2 top heel teams trying to one up each other to heel out. The story was great, as Kevin and Gino talked about, GOD trying to win their first tournament, while Tekkers trying to prove they are a legit team, and have to beat one of the most decorated teams in NJPW.

I appreciate that they changed the look of O-Khan from his old, racist look. He may still not be good on offense, but sticking him with Cobb, who can do the bulk of the work, was a smart move. O-Khan has some things I like about him, his look is better now, I like that he does the Mongolian chops, and some parts of his offense aren’t too terrible. Cobb as the ass kicking heel is going to work very, very well. I’m interested to see who else they add to The Empire. What’s going to happen with Robbie Eagles? He moved from Bullet Club to Chaos because of Ospreay (and not fitting in with BC to begin with).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This discussion should probably be had in the puro thread at this point but I have been pleasantly surprised by the Kevin Kelly-Gino commentary team as well. When they announced Gino as the surprise broadcast partner, I thought “Really?” But while his blustery, semi goofy commentary style can be mildly distracting during major shows, it really fits these B/C Shows well.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
What I love about Gino is he’s a heel, we know he’s prt of BC, but he’ll never shy away from giving props to faces, outside of Robbie Eagles, which is fine for their story. He loves Master Wato (who’s getting better).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hiromu Takahashi Vs DOUKI- Best of Super Juniors 27-11/22

Maybe not MOTY but maybe MOTY featuring a guy that is generally considered to be a “not good “ worker. And it definitely wasn’t a carry job. DOUKI was fantastic as the crazy, bitter old veteran who doesn’t want the ingrate young superstar to get one over on him.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Hiromu Takahashi Vs DOUKI- Best of Super Juniors 27-11/22

Maybe not MOTY but maybe MOTY featuring a guy that is generally considered to be a “not good “ worker. And it definitely wasn’t a carry job. DOUKI was fantastic as the crazy, bitter old veteran who doesn’t want the ingrate young superstar to get one over on him.

Much like the G1 this year was the coming out party for YOSHI-HASHI (who is having a great WTL with Goto), DOUKI is having a very good BOSJ tournament. I really liked his match with Master Wato, too.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
11/3 Keisuke Okuda Vs Kaito Ishida

really loved this match. These two have had a great feud and have really put their stamp on the Brave Gate. DG has a fantastic crop of Young Dragons right now. The Twin Gate match on this show was also really good and featured two young guys up against two of the best vets.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Hirmou Takahashi vs El Desperado - BOSJ Final

Fantastic match that was not typical of what these guys normally do. It was more strong style than high flying, with a great story being told. I suggest watching with English commentary as Chris Charlton does a great going over the story.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
12/12- Rich Swann Vs Chris Bey- Final Resolution

Very solid story of two extremely similarly matched and styled wrestlers with the older, more levelheaded veteran squeaking out the win over the cocky youngster.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
12/20 Roman Reigns Vs Kevin Owens

KO WONT DIE! Roman dishes it out over and over! lots of fun shit in here

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
WWE Network put up their Top 10 of 2020 as determined by WWE

10) Finn Bálor vs. Kyle O’Reilly
NXT TakeOver 31 – October 4, 2020