Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2020 NBA Draft

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm more baffled that Danny Green garnered a 1st Round pick and a 2nd Round pick...

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Rumor has it LaVar Ball will get Pete Myers old assistant coach job with the Bulls. He has AAU coaching experience!

Source: dancingdino.gif

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
If Chicago gets Lamelo and Alonzo, they better save room for LiAngelo, this generation’s Chris Smith.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's too bad that Golden State is right behind Minnesota, it really eliminates a lot of the Wolves leverage with teams that want to move up.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also wonder if Malik Beasley's potential legal troubles may lean them towards Edwards over LaMelo.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And now the draft opens up with Williams going at #4. Think teams go up and down from this point.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kudos to Bruce Pearl, he has had as many drinks as I have tonight.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Feels like there is a lot of options for the next four picks. Detroit is in a good spot.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I do not know anything about Patrick Williams, but I prefer this unknown choice to trading one of the young guys and the pick to move up to get Wiseman or LaMelo or whoever.

Guy is supposed to be a defensive minded wing and I imagine if he does turn out to be good can fill in the void when Otto Porter Jr is gone next season.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to see the Pistons load up on young talent, we'll see if these are the right players though.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
I started dying laughing when I searched out the Bulls 2nd round pick Marko Simonovic and it kept coming back some 34 year old european player. Apparently there is a 21 year old center that they actually drafted.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I do not know anything about Patrick Williams, but I prefer this unknown choice to trading one of the young guys and the pick to move up to get Wiseman or LaMelo or whoever.

Guy is supposed to be a defensive minded wing and I imagine if he does turn out to be good can fill in the void when Otto Porter Jr is gone next season.

I don't love the pick at #4, but I don't think he would be around past #7 maybe even higher and with a whole new regime you have to let them take their guy. The Bulls have a lot of guys but seem to be devoid of "the guy" which I think also makes it hard to evaluate everyone else and what they can do on a team that is really on the way up.

That said, he may be good with whatever his role is and improving his game so it may be a great pick for Chicago.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Love the Nesmith pick and the Pritchard pick seems like a scrappy Danny Ainge type white boy guard so a typical 80s style Celtics pick. I saw the Bane pick is getting dealt to Memphis IIRC. Yam Madar, if he makes it, could be a Marcus Smart/Avery Bradley level depth guard.

It's pretty clear Boston wants to push the tempo with the Pritchard/Madar picks and Nesmith can be a valuable tool as an off-ball shooting weapon with teams keying on Jaylen Brown/Jayson Tatum.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't love the pick at #4, but I don't think he would be around past #7 maybe even higher and with a whole new regime you have to let them take their guy. The Bulls have a lot of guys but seem to be devoid of "the guy" which I think also makes it hard to evaluate everyone else and what they can do on a team that is really on the way up.

That said, he may be good with whatever his role is and improving his game so it may be a great pick for Chicago.
I think there were only three guys with large "immediate impact" upside in the draft and they went 1-3. Anyone at 4 was gonna be an uncertainty. They don't have "The Guy" yet, but I still think they are in a great position. They are collecting a ton of assets and players they could package and trade for a star. It seems like stars want out of a team nearly every month. And the 2021 free agent class is really good. I don't think they are a playoff team as currently constructed, but even that isn't a bad thing. I think this season, they can afford to be bad and I think they will get into next year's lottery which is a really stacked draft. I'm basically in the Trust The Process stage of the new FO and it feels so much better than fearing whatever dumb move GarPax was gonna make next.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
While there doesn’t seem to be a lot of star power in this draft, it came across in the videos last night there were a lot of high character guys. In that sense, I’m rooting for many of them to succeed. The personality of these guys makes me feel a lot of dependable role players arrived that will have some longevity in the league.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Bulls also picked up an undrafted guy that projected to go as high as the low teens early twenties named Devon Dotson. I know nothing about most of these guys, but the Bulls twitter and fandom seem to be loving this pickup. Fans are saying he might make more of a immediate impact than Patrick Williams which wouldn't bother me because Williams is the second youngest player in the draft and extremely raw.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The Bulls also picked up an undrafted guy that projected to go as high as the low teens early twenties named Devon Dotson. I know nothing about most of these guys, but the Bulls twitter and fandom seem to be loving this pickup. Fans are saying he might make more of a immediate impact than Patrick Williams which wouldn't bother me because Williams is the second youngest player in the draft and extremely raw.
I've learned that a lot of these undrafted guys who were 'projected' to go higher in a draft tend to have off-field/off-court issues, work ethic issues, or could be underachievers. A lot of the hype around them tends to rest on their obvious 'on film' talent but they hit the NBA and struggle because they coasted by and didn't have to work hard at being the best on the field/on the court.

I'll take the UDFA who may be slightly undersized or flawed but who'll have a chip on his shoulder to make it over the talented player that should have gone in the teens/the twenties but went undrafted. That's always a big red flag. I've seen more than enough NFL guys who were talented that should have been drafted go undrafted and get cut early in camp while some lower-ranked "nobody" makes the PS instead.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like NBA is the league where the undrafted stigma applies the least. A lot of its probably cause drafts are only two rounds but there were multiple UDFAs starting in the NBA Finals this year.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I was going to say unlike other sports, there's only 60 spots. The NBA is also started to swing towards a lot of teams just finding undrafted gems like Van Vleet, Robinson, Nunn, and Caruso. I'm not expecting Devon Dotson to be "the guard of the future" or a star or anything, but it the last ten years there has been plenty of undrafted guys that have contributed to teams:

Jeremy Lin, Boban Marjanovic, Ish Smith, Justin Holiday, Kent Bazemore, JaMychal Green, Jonathan Simmons, Ian Clark, Robert Covington, Seth Curry, DeWayne Dedmon, Matthew Dellavedova, Rodney McGruder, Daniel Theis, Langston Galloway, Tyler Johnson, TJ McConnell, Christian Wood, Alex Caruso, Yogi Ferrell, Fred Van Fleet, Bryn Forbes, Derrick Jones Jr., Dorian Finney Smith, Kendrick Nunn, Duncan Robinson, Allonzo Trier, Luguentz Dort, and Naz Reid

That's actually a really good list and a surprising amount of those guys have had big moments in huge playoff games including multiple NBA Finals games. That's so much more than you can ask for from a undrafted player. All I want from Dotson is being a fun energetic presence off the bench and if he's more than that it would be great. From everything I'm reading Dotson is a high character guy and it's just a weird draft with like 96% of it being a lot of unknowns and a mish mash due to Covid preventing most of these guys from getting a further chance to show their worth. Guys were gonna rise and fall all over the place after the first few picks.

Last edited: