Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2020 NFL Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
“I am hurt. I’m not OK. They were extremely disappointing. Extremely self-centered and show a complete lack of awareness or care for the plight of teammates, your peers, your countrymen…I considered you a friend, I looked up to you, you’re someone I had a great deal of respect for, but sometimes you should shut the f*** up,” Jenkins said in the video.

somehow in context, telling him to stfu is gracious here lmao coming from the heart, from someone that knows him well.

As I was trying to muster up the energy and find the words to address Drew Brees’s comments I recorded this video. Before I could post it, Drew reached out to me to discuss his point of view.
All in all, I’m still posting this video because it’s important for anyone who wants to consider themself an ally to know how these words and actions affect those who you want to help. Drew’s words during his interview were extremely painful to hear and I hope he rectifies them with real action.

very respectful.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score

tenor.gif

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Deebo Samuel broke his foot and he'll be out 3-4 months.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Extended in-laws live in Kiln and it is nothing to see Favre out doing normal middle age man shit and that's about as hick, racist, buffoon rural south as you can get. Did not expect much from Favre in the way of social commentary, but this is definitely a bomb shell statement. Hope the rednecks are still nice to him at the feed store.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Martha Firestone Ford (94 years old) is stepping down as owner of the Detroit Lions and turning it over to daughter Sheila Ford Hemp.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Patriots signed Cam Newton to an incentive laden 1 year contract. Won't be surprised if he's the starting QB for the next ten years for New England.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"Incentive laden" is mostly code for "league minimum, but if you do good you'll get millions" - right?

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Usually a million, which I think is just slightly above league minimum, but yes. Pretty much that.

Edit: Was thinking about the Pats fine as well, sorry.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
"Incentive laden" is mostly code for "league minimum, but if you do good you'll get millions" - right?

Yup. Patriots have made these kinds of contracts an art form compared to most organizations (which has helped also keep them out of cap hell). So Cam's contract could be worth up to $7.5 Million meaning if he doesn't reach the incentives, it's still a fairly cheap contract. If he does, the Patriots get a great year from Cam (at a relatively cheap cost) and a higher winning season as well so it's the definition of a win-win scenario.

Here's an example...

Player A signs a 1 Year Deal worth $2 Million. Roster Bonus = $500,000. 16 Games Started = $500,000 Incentive. Minimum 90% Snaps Played = $1 Million Incentive. All-Pro = $1 Million Incentive. Pro Bowl = $1 Million Incentive. Super Bowl = $3 Million Incentive.

So if Player A managed to hit everything then it'd be 1 Year for $12 Million.

That's why you'll see contracts like 1 Year worth $4 Million but worth "up to" $8 Million as teams may vary the incentive clauses. Patriots may opt for high end level while another team may include yardage or touchdown incentives instead.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At least your star player hasn't spent the offseason deep throating his foot.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Dan Snyder is considering changing the name after sponsors put financial pressure on him. Nike isn't even carrying any Washington stuff at the moment.

Might be premature but likely the name is changing.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Dan Snyder is considering changing the name after sponsors put financial pressure on him. Nike isn't even carrying any Washington stuff at the moment.

Might be premature but likely the name is changing.

A large part of this is coming from FedEx as they have the rights to the stadium name - FedEx Field and its CEO also has a minority share in the Washington football team.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Is that supposed to be a Flying Tom Brady? Steven Tyler? I literally have no idea what the face is supposed to be representing. Now if it was Pat the Patriot's face, that'd be worth a change from the Flying Elvis.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
So, apparently Washington has the team's new name down to two finalists (or two finalists that Ron Riviera likes) and it is very likely Washington's name may even make it to being changed before the season begins. I'm curious what Ron likes though.

Also I wasn't expecting it to be that quick. Honestly, figured it would take them the season to change over as there's a whole bunch of things that usually need to be done before a name change happens. If they pull it off, I'll be impressed that they pulled it off before then. Only impressed on that though.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Is that supposed to be a Flying Tom Brady? Steven Tyler? I literally have no idea what the face is supposed to be representing. Now if it was Pat the Patriot's face, that'd be worth a change from the Flying Elvis.

as Hawk already shared

00-story-cam-newton.jpg

Just a hybrid of the Pats logo and this postgame press conference from Cam last year

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
450m. He's now the highest paid sports player and suddenly it makes sense why Dak didn't take the 30m deal long term deal from the Cowboys. Though having to pay nearly 38-40m for Dak makes me go "uh... I don't know". And now that Pat set it at 45m, don't think Dak is looking for less than 40m.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Had to do it. He's the best and most important player in the NFL and makes the Chiefs an annual contender by himself.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Apparently there are incentives included for winning the AFC Championship and for winning the Super Bowl that could push it over 500m. Can we just talk about how fucking hilarious it is that a $450 million contract has extra incentives in it?

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm pro labor getting paid, especially pro sports players, so by default, I support this. Given that it is Patrick Mahomes, I doubly support it. He's probably my favorite player not on my favorite team right now and if I had kids I'd tell them to look to him for a role model. Couldn't happen to a better person. I am very curious in how they move the money around to stay competitive in 3 years, so we'll see. Good for him.

And I'm loving that after the initial "whoa" wore off everyone is realizing what this means for Dak and the egg in Jerry's face for not getting a deal done sooner. Not a Cowboys fan but Dak being from Louisiana, I want to see him do well for himself also. Les Miles really screwed the pooch with recruiting Dak those years ago.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm happy for Dak. I'm just saying if it was me as a business man, I wouldn't give him what Pat is getting. Though Deshaun is also up and probably like "holy fuck, thanks Pat. 40m is the minimum".

Also incentives push it to 500m? Oh you better believe Dak and Deshaun are asking for nearly as much now. Both Dallas and Houston are fucked.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And honestly, the way I understand it, the only thing ensuring that Houston and Dallas are properly fucked, is the salary cap. Those two markets are so flush with oil money, if there were no salary cap they could knock it up to $600m if they wanted.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Really fascinating how it's broken down too: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/

The base salaries and signing bonus (guaranteed money) are super cheap through his Age 30 season ($2.5 Million base from age 28 through 30). The SB ends after he's 28 years old. Even then, his age 31 & 32 seasons are just $10 and $13 Million base salaries.

Where all the millions comes in is through the guaranteed Salary + Roster Bonus from 2023 on (e.g. guaranteed usually around February or March if he's part of the 90 Man Roster or whatever).

Kansas City has basically given them an out should he suffer an Alex Smith level career ending injury at age 27 or later, they could cut him and save all that money without incurring too much $$ in dead cap space.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Honestly, I hope Mahomes plays until he's 50 like Brady. Dude's a treat to watch.

Reactions: SFH

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score

Seems like it is a done deal. Washington will have a new name before the season begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.