Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2021-22 NHL Season

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Bruins kicking off on 10/16. ESPN now has TV rights for the NHL!

I got tickets for the 12/27 home game vs. the Penguins ($268 per ticket x2)! PUMPED

NHL is also expected to start cracking down more on cross-checking including more major penalty calls, which could increase scoring. Connor McDavid had 100+ points last year in just 56 games IIRC so it'll be interesting to see if he can challenge the 150 point mark.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Ovechkin is already up to 4 goals thanks to an Empty Netter and the Bruins are finally playing their 2nd game of the season. 909, how you feeling about Anze Kopitar's hot start?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Big trade: Sabres finally deal Jack Eichel to the Vegas Golden Knights.

The return for Buffalo is Peyton Krebs, Alex Tuch, a future first-round draft pick and a future second-rounder. Vegas will also get a future third-round draft pick as part of the deal.

If Vegas' first-round pick in 2022 is not a top-10 selection, the Sabres will get a 2022 first-rounder and a 2023 second-rounder, with Vegas getting a 2023 third-rounder. If Vegas' first-round pick in 2022 is a top-10 selection, Buffalo will get a 2023 first-rounder and a 2024 second-rounder, with the Golden Knights getting a 2024 third-rounder.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Only in the NHL, huh? Other three quarters of the big 4 have had their share of their pathetic franchises but I don't think any of them have been bad enough that they've been threatened with being locked out of their arena. At least not in the modern era. I'm sure that stuff happened in the pre-TV era. Maybe @HarleyQuinn or @alkeiper can correct me if I'm wrong there.

I feel like this isn't the first time I've read this story with the Arizona Coyotes. I'm always astonished to see hockey in Arizona has lasted this long.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Baseball teams before the era of municipal stadiums by and large owned their parks. And even after that, what else are you going to do with a 65,000 seat stadium if you kick out the baseball team?! There are some teams that have gone bankrupt. I looked up the Seattle Pilots, who were forced to sell to Bud Selig and the Milwaukee Brewers by a bankruptcy judge. But none of them had to resolve their disputes in this fashion, to my knowledge. Usually teams that are hard up end up sold.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Only in the NHL, huh? Other three quarters of the big 4 have had their share of their pathetic franchises but I don't think any of them have been bad enough that they've been threatened with being locked out of their arena. At least not in the modern era. I'm sure that stuff happened in the pre-TV era. Maybe @HarleyQuinn or @alkeiper can correct me if I'm wrong there.

I feel like this isn't the first time I've read this story with the Arizona Coyotes. I'm always astonished to see hockey in Arizona has lasted this long.
I can't recall if they were locked out of the arena (or it was being torn down at the time?) but I distinctly remember the Montreal Expos having to play all their home games at Hiram-Bithorn Stadium instead of Olympic Stadium recently.

"The Montreal Expos played twenty-two home games in Hiram Bithorn Stadium in each of the 2003 and 2004 regular seasons."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't recall if they were locked out of the arena (or it was being torn down at the time?)
Stade Olympique is still a (barely) active stadium. The Blue Jays had spring training games there as recently as 2019 (and were supposed to have a two game series against the Yankees in 2020 before COVID). Expos played part time in Puerto Rico in '03 and '04 cause of poor attendance. It's not cause they couldn't play in Montreal, it's because they didn't want to. That's pretty crappy but not "We're going to lock you out of the stadium because you're so delinquent on bills" bad IMO.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Marc-Andre Fleury becomes the 3rd Goalie to reach the 500 Win mark after winning his 1st Jennings & Vezina trophies last year.

He should be a lock for the NHL HOF thanks to his 3 Cup wins as well.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
NHL has quietly? been getting hammered with COVID and outright postponing games (including tonight's booooo) with the Bruins seeming unlikely to resume play until New Year's at the earliest at this rate.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
43r725ukbae81.jpg

Does someone in Arizona have blackmail material on Gary Bettman? Idk why he's so insistent on thinking hockey in Arizona is not a terrible idea.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Went to the Bruins game last night (makeup date from the COVID stuff). Fun times with my Dad. Bruins lost 4-2 after a hot 1st period & flat 2nd & 3rd periods :( Pastrnak scored 2 goals :) Crosby scored 1 :mad: We were in Loge 4, Row 10 so pretty close to the rink. The first image was zoomed in a bit to try to replicate how close it looked from our seats.

The highlight came at the end though when Marchand punched the Penguins goalie, lirl.

Pic Spam!
vos761h.jpg
ppA04pm.jpg

DD2tNkV.jpg

542l1AS.jpg
lXIuuq8.jpg
L68jKdh.jpg
DehsfUt.jpg

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ontario is moving up to 50% capacity on 2/17 and 100% capacity on March 1st.

Good news for Sens and Maple Leafs fans and NBA players terrified by the Raptors mascot.

Staff member
Reaction score
Went to Game 4 of the Kings series, they won, they just won Game 5, and they can close out in LA on Thursday. And this guy is definitely in the building. Bought a ticket immediately after their OT goal. Who cares how much it costs had to do it