Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2021 Baseball Hall of Fame

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
To me the MLB HoF is completely worthless at this point, no validity whatsoever. Not even worth talking about going forward.
I like talking about it just to see who has a shot to make it. I read a stat where something like 136 of the 341 HOFers were voted in by the BBWAA (40%) which does give me hope that some of these committees will rectify errors and get guys like McGriff, etc. in like they did with Gil Hodges, etc. When you think about the Cooperstown revenue, it also behooves the BBWAA/Committees to induct players for the tourist $$ and to legitimize/popularize the MLB HOF.

I think a large issue with the MLB HOF compared to say the NBA or NFL is that it often feels like the writers get emotional/petty/personal when voting compared to just letting the numbers on the field speak for themselves. Not helped by them being hypocritical in some of the guys they've put into the HOF suspected of PED use (Piazza/Bagwell/Pudge) recently why decrying Bonds/Clemens/Sosa/Sheffield/McGwire.

Here's a breakdown by decade thus far of the players they've voted in. I do think it's promising that the 2010s saw the most players voted in by a fairly healthy margin as the voting age starts to skew younger and those types of voters are more willing to fill in the ballot up to the maximum 10 names.

2020s: 1
2010s: 24
2000s: 17
1990s: 15
1980s: 18
1970s: 13

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
To me the MLB HoF is completely worthless at this point, no validity whatsoever. Not even worth talking about going forward.
This point of view is valid. There's a voice in my head through all this saying none of it really matters. We have a Hall of Fame that honors David Ortiz but not Dick Allen, Harold Baines but not Barry Bonds, Travis Jackson but not Alex Rodriguez and there's no consistency to what makes a Hall of Famer. Great to keep the cheaters out if that's your thing. But it renders the honor meaningless and the appeal of the process is following the political machinations rather than who actually gets in.

Pity of it is it's still a great museum that I could get to this afternoon if I wanted.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still have never been there, and I don't live far away. Despite what I said, I will visit the place someday soon because I have always wanted to. I'm...just really angry and disappointed at the BBWAA making a mockery of the thing.