Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2021 NFL Draft

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Doubling up on QB would have been just a little too petty.

Taking Vera-Tucker, though...
tumblr_n19l7rzYpA1qe7sdho2_250.gifv

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Well, the Pattiest QB goes to the Patriots. I'm not even mocking that, he's who I would thought would go to the Patriots if he was still there.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I love the part of the draft where the families celebrate, I doubly like when the family dog gets in the shot and wants to celebrate too, with zero context needed.

The cynic in me says, "the more friends and family at the draft party, the faster the player is going to go broke." But that's coming from my experience growing up poor and yet some how relatives still asked us for money on a regular basis.

Staff member
Reaction score

I guess all you can really say is that the Pats didn't do what the Niners made everyone think they were gonna do. Cause I know if my team gave up all that shit to pick 3rd and took Mac Jones I would have lost it. The Pats didn't give up more assets so if he still sucks it'll be alright and they can try again.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I would have rather seen them take something else there though. Whatever. I don't love the pick but I am an unapologetic Belichick Honk so if he likes the kid I guess i'll have to buy in for now.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whether Sewell is RT or LT in Detroit, he's gonna beast. The only questionable pass was Fields, but Detroit was never taking a QB.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm glad the 49ers took Lance. Let him sit for a year and learn and hope Jimmy G doesn't get injured. It's a boom or bust pick and when you make that kind of move that is what I wanted.. swing for the fences not do the "safe" pick.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm really fascinated by the underrated aspect of what Minnesota has quietly been doing. Last year they had 15 Draft Picks and this year they already traded down to 23 and picked up the 66 and 86 picks. They now have 11 Draft Picks for this year with that trade included.

For comparison, Jimmy Johnson's Dallas Cowboys had 33 picks between the 1991 & 1992 NFL Drafts and were a big reason behind their 90s dominance.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
If Cam's arm can make throws and he's not suffering from Covid anymore, I could honestly see it.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fire WEEI into the sun when Belichick names Cam Newton as #1 starter over Mac Jones this summer.
It's the safe call now but if Cam still looks shot (sadly, he probably will) I expect them to pull the trigger quickly.

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't believe we drafted a dude named DIVINE DEABLO never heard a more Raider name ever in my life. I love our draft so far too.

Reactions: SFH

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saints have gone 3/3 on defensive players in this draft. It is making me regret not paying more attention to the 2020 FBS season. But I'm good with a "boring" draft over flashy busts. We shall see how day 3 goes.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely love the Christian Barmore selection. Dude should have been a Top 15 pick so to get him at 38 is crazy value. Ronnie Perkins has the size (6'3" 253) loves in his LBs and sounds like he's more a motor/effort producer than a pure athletic freak type.

Minnesota's having a great draft. Got a starting OT, Chazz Surratt is the type of Round 3 pick that could plug in immediately, and everybody knows how much I'm a stan for Patrick Jones.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Dolphins drafted 4 day one starters (my #2 wr, my #1 edge, my #1 safety and a good tackle) so I’m very happy.

that tight end pick is something I don’t fully understand but 4/5 ain’t bad.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From what I understand Ian Book was a reach in the 4th round. Unless they're going to swiss army knife him and put Taysom at full time QB.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Dallas overhauling that defense a ton and I loved the Jabril Cox pick in the 4th Round for them. Eagles also had a solid draft, love the Kenneth Gainwell pick and JaCoby Stevens can slide in as a downhill LB thumper or lose some weight and be a jackhammer at Safety.

Minnesota gets my A+ award though. RB Kene Nwangwu was a guy New England was reportedly interested in. DE Janarius Robinson is solid and DT Jaylen Twyman is a steal in the 6th Round if he can become consistent. WR Ihmir in the 5th Round is one of the steals of the draft from a field speed/athleticism aspect. He instantly gives that group a deep speed threat with the size to become really good.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jevon Holland was my favorite defensive player in the draft and I've been screaming for weeks now that he would be the perfect fit to round out the Flores secondary defense. Him being a Dolphin makes me so excited for this season.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Always love when a hometown team takes the player you're screaming for them to pick. Patriots taking Ja'Whaun Bentley in 2018 in the 5th Round was one of those moments for me (finally produced last year after a few years of serving as depth) and Christian Barmore this year in the 2nd Round is another. Same for the Pats signing CB J.C. Jackson as a UDFA also in 2018.

A few UDFA steals this year (IMO): Cleveland getting DT Marvin Wilson, Eagles picking up QB Jamie Newman, and Atlanta signing RB Javian Hawkins. WR Marlon Williams signing with Houston pissed me off because I know the Pats would've snagged him if Caserio was still in NE.

LB Grant Stuard is gonna make an NFL team happy as a ST cover guy if he doesn't stick in Tampa Bay.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
All in all, very pleased with the Bears draft. They were agressive moving up twice but didn't over pay in either move. Instead of completely robbing the future of draft picks, they just burned this year's picks mostly.

I'm very pleased with getting Fields. He will play with a huge chip on his shoulder. Bears gave up their 1st & 5th this year and 1st & 4th next year. Not very pricey. Had they not drafted a 1st round QB this year, they would have again had to try to do it in 2022. If they stayed at pick 20 in the 1st, they were looking at the guy they traded up for in Round 2 to get, Teven Jenkins. Bears traded their 2nd, 3rd & 6th while getting Carolina's 2nd & 5th. That 5th was a decent upgrade over the Bears original 5th slot.

These two trades in tandem plus netting a 1st round talent in the second is a huge huge value.

Some Chicago media is criticising the move for the sake of being negative. That is the best possible draft the Bears could have come away with. Getting Jenkins in round 2 really makes the trade more: Bears got Fields & a 5th rd upgrade, Giants/Panthers get 2nd, 3rd, 5th downgrade, 6th, plus 2022 1st & 4th. Hell yes I'll take that!

Bears drafted another OL with that 5th Larry Borom. Big physical monster that should be able to replace Ifedi at RG after this year. Bears rightside is basically set now with Borom & Jenkins. I'd have liked the Bears to have gotten a center, but you can't have everything. They can address that in round 2 or 3 next season.

They also got some pretty solid Round 6 values. Khalil Herbert, a legitimate backup to David Montgomery. Dazz Newsome, a slot wr that can be a returner. Thomas Graham Jr, a corner that opted out of 2020.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
To me the worst picks in the draft were in the second round. Wide receiver was not overly deep in this draft for top end talent. There were plenty of quality options on the speed slot/manlet spectrum.

I ranted in chat about it during the draft, but the D'Wayne Eskridge at pick 56 to Seattle and Tutu Atwell at pick 57 to the Rams are horrendous picks. Both teams clearly were zoning in on drafting a guy like Rondale Moore who went at 49.

Atwell & Eskridge both would be reasonable picks with low expectations if they went where they should have in round 4 or more likely 5. Not in round 2. At the time in the 2nd, Mel Kiper started hyping both up heavily in his top 5 best available. I almost think these teams fell victim to the Kiper hype. "Oh shit we gotta go get them now because Kiper said to!"

There were plenty of similar guys available. Pretty solid slot guys went in Round 3 Dyami Brown (82) and Amari Rodgers (85). Superior speed options in Anthony Schwartz (91) 4.25 40-time. A superior all-around manlet on the Tarik Cohen spectrum of football skills in Jaelon Darden (129). If Rams & Seahawks were both thinking Atwell & Eskridge were the best all around wide receiver available, than they both must have forgotten about Terrace Marshall (59) 6'3 200lb 4.38 40-time from LSU was still available.

Watching Eskridge who had a 4.38 40 at 5'9 190, you can really just see how dreadful the competition he played against was at Western Michigan. His speed really didn't pop out like Schwartz or Darden. Tutu's speed is more evident on field, 4.32. He's so damn small, 5'9 165, that he looks like if he took a massive hit he'd be broken in half. To me Atwell is more of a returner, 3rd down, safety valve type option. That's already covered with Darrell Henderson.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
I was just reading some draft grades and for the Rams they had that Tutu Atwell weighed 149 lbs at his pro-day medicals. That is even more of a reach for a pick after reading that!