Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2021 Summer Olympics? In Tokyo???

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I grew up hearing Polish jokes my whole life. But I thought it was a type of chicken until I was very old.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
the tunisian dude winning in swimming was super cool. this guy is gonna be a god for the rest of his life. onyl the 4th ever gold for his country ever.
And he won it by an outstretched hand, no less while qualifying for the 8th spot by 0.14... really remarkable story.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well. I guess this USA Basketball's once every 15 years "Shit. We've got to actually try." moment.

I will still maintain that this horrible ass NBA season hurt their chances as much as anything.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Luka had 48 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 blocks in his Olympics debut today, helping Slovenia get their first ever Olympics win today, in their game against Argentina. He was just 7 points away from tying the all time Olympics scoring record set by Brazil's Oscar Schmidt in 1988.

This Doncic kid is pretty solid!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Japan knocks off China in mixed doubles Table Tennis to win its first ever Gold Medal in the event.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
the 13 year old winning the first ever gold in women's skateboarding is cool as hell. also cool was the silver and bronze going to a 13 and 16 year old. Japan dominated at Skateboarding. Really neat to see.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
the 13 year old winning the first ever gold in women's skateboarding is cool as hell. also cool was the silver and bronze going to a 13 and 16 year old. Japan dominated at Skateboarding. Really neat to see.
I know the X Games has been trending radically younger for the past several years too. Back in the 90s, it was pretty common to see early 20s as young then it started transitioning around the time Shaun White came on the scene in 2002 when he was around 15/16.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
First gold! Thank God for our female athletes.
Women have won all of Canada's medals including another gold, this timne in weightlifting. Pretty awesome. Also in the wow department:

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Olympic athletes from the US have an outsized expectation of what people think of them and what pressure they’re under. This ain’t like the NBA. People ain’t on you like that. If something happens out of the ordinary then it will attract bad attention seeking types, but otherwise people ain’t feeling the Olympics like that. Not in the US anyway. As long as people have some shit to watch I don’t think they give a fuck. And in some cases these athletes might not understand that Americans ain’t even rooting for them. Notable example being every American who faced Usain Bolt.

Of course the other problem is that if you’re engaging in social media and looking for criticism you’re definitely gonna find it, it will put pressure on you, and it will fuck you up. If you want to find an arena where someone is talking shit about you, now you can damn sure find it. Not everyone should be on social media. Look at all the people who couldn’t handle talking with others in here on this forum. Look how many people bugged out. And the people out there are a lot worse than we are. Look at the racist motherfuckers who instantly swooped in. The only way for someone to avoid that is to get off that joint. End of story. The sooner people realize that, the better. If the criticism bothers you, delete that mess and put it down for good. That shit ain’t gonna help you.

At the end of the day when these two weeks are over nobody will care what happened to you during these two weeks. Unless something weird happens all anyone will remember is that you were there. I can’t tell you what Michael Johnson, Lisa Leslie, and Michael Phelps won at the Olympics. All in remember in detail is that they were there.

I really hate to say this shit but because those sports aren’t prominent enough to frequently remember things, all anyone will remember about Simone Biles is what just happened, if they remember anything at all. That’s gonna bother her even worse when every jabroni wants to tell her about it for the rest of her life. Like with Lolo Jones, all I remember is that she bugged out about being a virgin and was throwing it in peoples faces. I don’t remember if she even won anything.

Last edited:

Staff member
Reaction score
I also remember back in the day when people used to go train in Big Bear to avoid distractions, or disappear to the Poconos, or some shit like that. They decided to eliminate pressure from their situation. I don’t think you even have to go to that extent now. The quickest way to get your mental right is to insulate yourself from criticism and there’s one very obvious way to eliminate much of it. You gotta find your safe space. Its concerning that people don’t know they can do that.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The average American might not remember specific details (although I think many can remember it was swimming, running, gym, etc) but I don't think that changes the pressure on them at all. They dedicate their entire lives to it. She in particular is the face of her whole sport and does have a lot of kids who idolize her. That and the pressure of living up to having won 4 gold medals in one games is crazy.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I also remember back in the day when people used to go train in Big Bear to avoid distractions, or disappear to the Poconos, or some shit like that. They decided to eliminate pressure from their situation. I don’t think you even have to go to that extent now. The quickest way to get your mental right is to insulate yourself from criticism and there’s one very obvious way to eliminate much of it. You gotta find your safe space. Its concerning that people don’t know they can do that.
Why you gotta call me out like that?

alkeiper

Reaction score
It really needs to be mentioned that the risk of injury in Biles' sport and particularly at her level are extreme. If you're not confident enough to perform the routine, get the heck out of there. She's done it before, she has her accolades, she has nothing else to prove.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's too mentally taxing to deal with these idiots on social media on a regular basis which is why I no longer use it in any form except Snapchat. Even when I'm not interacting with these people it breaks my brain trying to wrap my head around the lunacy of people, and I could tell by May of last year that it was only gonna get worse. And I'm not doing something where millions of people will be watching me, either!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The average American might not remember specific details (although I think many can remember it was swimming, running, gym, etc) but I don't think that changes the pressure on them at all. They dedicate their entire lives to it. She in particular is the face of her whole sport and does have a lot of kids who idolize her. That and the pressure of living up to having won 4 gold medals in one games is crazy.
I'm with CWM. These athletes not only have the "weight" of America on their shoulders but have worked extremely hard to be in the top 15-20 of their sport just to make it to something that only happens every 4 years. Then, if they are the best like a Michael Phelps or Simone Biles, the expectation is Gold Medal with a record-setting performance on top of that.

Also, those athletes who do win Gold Medals, especially if they are notable names after the fact, become icons for that entire country. You know the names of Women's National Soccer Team players. You know Kerri Strug, Dominique Moceanu, Simone Biles, Michael Phelps, Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson, Picabo Street, etc. Even if you don't know the specific event they won, you know they won a Gold Medal for that country. I'm sure this goes for Australia, Japan, China, New Zealand, Russia, etc. too.

"I think Olympic athletes from the US have an outsized expectation of what people think of them and what pressure they’re under. This ain’t like the NBA. People ain’t on you like that."

And I'd argue the people may not be on them but the expectations are legitimately huge for a reason. There is a reason the U.S. Men's Basketball team gets such focus during the Olympics and it ain't about their NBA talent on the court. It's about beating teams and taking home the Gold Medal, period. Anything less is seen as a failure. Do you think the '92 Dream Team would be as remembered if they just won a Bronze Medal back then?

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Canada for the Summer Games has very few expectations for the most part so in some ways it's more fun to watch and more exciting if we do medal. And as HQ mentioned any medalists we do get end up being remembered here. I had no clue who Maude Charron was but I'll damn sure remember her as a gold medalist now.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
It really needs to be mentioned that the risk of injury in Biles' sport and particularly at her level are extreme. If you're not confident enough to perform the routine, get the heck out of there. She's done it before, she has her accolades, she has nothing else to prove.

On top of that, she would be off her game the entire time. Do they want her to go out there and under perform and get incredibly low scores because she continues to mess up? Then they'll bitch that she shouldn't have been out there to cost her country a medal. That's why there are reserves on the team, to step in when needed.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I like how some of these neckbeards are using Kerri Strug as a cudgel to attack Simone Biles, and some gymnasts are responding with, "Uh, actually, making Kerri go out and do that was kinda abuse."

alkeiper

Reaction score
Watching some Olympic baseball because of course I am. It is forever amusing to me how MLB tracks every micro-statistic while international baseball barely comprehends how a scoreboard works.