Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

30 for 30/Sports Documentaries Discussion

Staff member
Reaction score
Rod Carew said:
Uhhh, Ice Cube is an actual director.

Missed the doc the first time around, but for some reason I'm not that interested. The Los Angeles Raiders are still a sore spot in my sports pysche.

they will be back

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Two Escobars was pretty amazing. One of my favorite so far.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gert said:
The Two Escobars was pretty amazing. One of my favorite so far.

I tried to watch it but 90 percent of it was subtitled, so I'll have to watch it on DVR later.

June 17, 1994 was one of the better ones they've done. The Miller/Knicks was probably my favorite so far, but there have been a lot of good ones.

Vampiro69

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was looking forward to watching June 17th, 1994 after I got done with league golf. Unfortunately my DVR decided not to record that night. Hoping to catch it on replay soon though.

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vampiro69 said:
I was looking forward to watching June 17th, 1994 after I got done with league golf. Unfortunately my DVR decided not to record that night. Hoping to catch it on replay soon though.

It was the best of the series before The Two Escobars aired.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone watch "Jordan Rides the Bus"? I really liked it, actually. I didn't realize he hit over .250 in the Arizona Fall League that year. Obviously, he still wasn't a good player, but he did alright for a 31-year-old who hadn't played since high school. Still, many people will probably view this as a case of revisionist history. They also kinda glossed over the gambling angle, but it was still a good piece overall.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Yeah it was alright. What that one guy said about how Jordan would of eventually made it to the majors if not for the strike because of his character and how much of a perfectionist he is... I kind of agreed with this.

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
I still think the gambling suspension fits the retirement story better than him just retiring at his peak because of a dream. I mean, Steve Kerr and a Michael Jordan biographer told me different but it felt too glossed over.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
the max said:
I still think the gambling suspension fits the retirement story better than him just retiring at his peak because of a dream. I mean, Steve Kerr and a Michael Jordan biographer told me different but it felt too glossed over.

I didn't watch this, but I was wondering if they were going to mention the gambling. From they way you say it, they didn't talk much about it, did they?

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was listening to Ron Shelton on Simmons' podcast. He said he was going after the gambling storyline, but there was absolutely no evidence at all that that was even a possibility.

I thought it was OK, but not great. There really wasn't anything there I didn't already know.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
CanadianChris said:
I was listening to Ron Shelton on Simmons' podcast. He said he was going after the gambling storyline, but there was absolutely no evidence at all that that was even a possibility.

I thought it was OK, but not great. There really wasn't anything there I didn't already know.

Bullshit. ESPN just doesn't want to piss off King Jordan.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Silas P. Silas said:
CanadianChris said:

Bullshit. ESPN just doesn't want to piss off King Jordan.

I'd go with this.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
I mean really, we're not stupid. Of course their is no "evidence" cause no that has money tied to Jordan would dare let it leak. I mean it's believable and not out of the realm of possibility. I dunno, I guess I don't see Jordan as this god everyone makes him to be.

ESPN is the Fox News of sports.

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
CanadianChris said:

He interviewed one of Jordan's former teammates and a man who has literally made his living covering Michael Jordan. Not sure why he expected something different. Of course they're not going to say anything but for it to get 2 minutes of the documentary was pretty poor. How many minutes did they need to say "You know what? He just wanted to get away from it all! That's why he walked away from the sport he loved at the peak of his career to play baseball." I was more interested in how they were going to explain that.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Haha, that made me laugh.

I haven't seen the doc yet, though I want to, but I remember Jordan's minor league sojourn just being so...strange

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
the max said:
How many minutes did they need to say "You know what? He just wanted to get away from it all! That's why he walked away from the sport he loved at the peak of his career to play baseball." I was more interested in how they were going to explain that.

Well, I mean, also his dad was murdered at a rest stop. I'm sure that did some damage to his mental composure.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
alkeiper said:
If Jordan were escaping the NBA because of gambling I doubt that baseball would've taken him with open arms.

Not if Jerry Reinsdorf had anything to do with it.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
bulb said:
the max said:
How many minutes did they need to say "You know what? He just wanted to get away from it all! That's why he walked away from the sport he loved at the peak of his career to play baseball." I was more interested in how they were going to explain that.

Well, I mean, also his dad was murdered at a rest stop. I'm sure that did some damage to his mental composure.

Which to a lot of conspiracy theorists had to do with Jordan's gambling debt.

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
Did anyone catch the Terry Fox episode? Second best episode only behind the Two Escobars.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think the Terry Fox special has aired yet.

Why would ESPN do a documentary on a quitter?

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
CanadianGuitarist said:
What did Nash have a hand in? Was that the 30 for 30 episode or was it simply a Canadian special?

That was the 30 for 30. I assume that Canada got it early to coincide with the Terry Fox runs.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Tonight it's Four Days in October about the Red Sox comeback in '04. Bill Simmons and Lenny Clarke are supposed to be featured but don't let that keep you away because I've heard it's really good and shows footage the players themselves shot.