Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

909 Watches TV: Peaky Blinders

Staff member
Reaction score
PEGASUS

I think this review would be best if I just said something like OH FUCK. There are so many things here that are entirely unexpected. One of them is, but we'll get to that. There's another Battlestar out there and it's called the Pegasus, which is under the command of an Admiral. This sends Adama back down a rung and puts him in the position of taking orders. There's obviously no way, no reality in which that will ever work. It doesn't help that this Admiral Cain is all over Adama's ass. This is an interesting role reversal by the writers because it's expected for Adama to be more of a hawk, and Cain to be more subservient and docile. Not here. She and her crew are all up in people's shit. They're rapists and they're torturers. It also turns out that Gaius sees the Cylon they've kept prisoner is the same as the one in his head. Cain's colonel also tells a story he claims to be bullshit, but he says that his predecessor was killed for not taking orders. Simply put? Without civilians to watch over, and without civilian oversight of them due to an admiral who doesn't believe in it, the Pegasus has lost all its perspective. This could easily have happened in Adama's case because there is no rationale for civilian oversight other than it being "the way it is supposed to be". He did not do that, and when he was going to, the events spiraled out of control and everything came back to normal. Sharon is to be raped by a lieutenant from the Pegasus, but Helo and Tyrol accidentally kill said lieutenant and this seems to have caused a war between the Battlestars. Not good! There probably won't be another episode as good as this one. The circumstances here can't be replicated.

RESURRECTION SHIP

This is a two parter. War is averted because neither person in charge of their ship can bring themselves to do it. Starbuck disobeyed orders and brought back pictures of what "Gina" later says is a resurrection ship. Gina is Tricia Helfer's character. Anyway, this here episode has some insane padding. The scenes where the fleet is destroying the resurrection ship and two Cylon bases just feel like padding. There isn't much to them. They exist in order to serve scenes that also feel like padding, when Apollo has to eject and suffers from hypoxia before being saved. I've buried the lede here though. President Roslin encourages Adama to take the next step towards losing his humanity, but one that seems entirely necessary anyway. She wants him to have Cain assassinated. Guess what? Cain wants Adama assassinated. The second part of this episode is more like Mad Men than any other show I've watched. I'm probably not capable of explaining it, you'd have to see it. What does it mean to kill your commanding officer when there's hardly any humans left? What does it mean to be human? What path have we chosen for ourselves. In any case, Cain and Adama are not capable of killing each other. However, Gaius is certainly capable of having Cain killed all by himself. Gaius is party to none of these plots or decisions, he comes up with this all on his own as a response to the cruelty of the Pegasus. He tells Gina that he has a place for her to hide, and lets her go so that she can kill Cain. This is kind of convenient, and it's kind of bad writing, but this removes the problem and puts Adama in sole command of the fleet. What about when the President dies and Gaius takes over? Lol. We'll wait and see on that.

There are a lot of events here that could have big ramifications, but I haven't yet watched the following episode and I'll comment on them later. This isn't just some spaceshit though. There are lots of existential questions addressed in some of these episodes, and I haven't scratched that itch since watching Mad Men.

Staff member
Reaction score
EPIPHANIES

This episode has a lot of contrived things that I kind of expected to happen because there was no way this show was really going to kill off Roslin's character at this point if at all. The short version is that Sharon's fetus contains blood that is superhuman and can be used to cure cancer among many other things. The fetus is to be aborted, but it turns out those are reasons not to do it. The benefits outweigh the risks, so Gaius shoots it into the President and she's going to live for many more days. The President also has some visions of the past while on her death bed. In one of them, she sees Gaius making out with someone who looks like 'Gina', so this is going to be a thing. It also turned out that she was having an affair with the now long dead President. Gaius also realizes how useless everyone thinks he is, so he goes to the next level and gives Gina a nuclear warhead. Well, based on what we've seen here? She's going to use it.

As for the events I thought would have ramifications, I thought Starbuck getting promoted would leave her on the other ship, but instead everything's just back to normal. The main thing now is that Gina has started or become part of an organization that demands peace with the Cylons. Because THAT'S gonna happen. I don't know if I liked this episode very much though because everything is too convenient.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
when the other battlestar showed up and they were a bunch of rapist scum it was some crazy ass shit but also made a lot of sense like you said. the show was really good at bringing up interesting ideas when it was at its best

Staff member
Reaction score
BLACK MARKET

This was the worst episode yet. Worst episode by far. The short version is that Apollo is tasked with investigating black market activity after the new commander of the Pegasus winds up dead. Over the course of the episode it is revealed that the commander was dirty, but the black market activity is also necessary to keep the fleet moving. This is all quite badly explained and rationalized, but Apollo doesn't follow the President's new trade policy to the letter and she isn't that happy about it. We also learn that Apollo had a girlfriend who he broke up with, and in a hooker he sees his old girlfriend in her, but this is all very terrible. I checked Wikipedia and it turns out that everyone thought it was terrible, including the people who made the show. Anything more need to be said? Don't think so.

Staff member
Reaction score
SCAR

So, we follow up an episode that solely focuses on Apollo with one that solely focuses on Starbuck. I'm cool with this. This episode is about Starbuck and Kat wanting to kill a specific Cylon Raider, but it's more than that. Starbuck's psyche is spiraling because she can't go back to Caprica to rescue that dude she fell in love with. There's absolutely nothing that's going to help her other than that. We learn here that the Cylon Raiders are also resurrected in a similar manner to the robotic humans, and with the resurrection ship gone, there probably won't be another Scar copy. This is a very good episode in large part because the actress who plays Kat does an amazing job of making it feel like she's really against Starbuck and thinks she's doing a shit job. Like many of the other things in this show, she's also partially correct. I don't know if I think this is a good episode so much as I think this is a good job elaborating someone's character, but I don't like that it came after a terrible episode that did the same thing.

SACRIFICE

I think here we are seeing some ramifications of the season being so long, namely that some of these episodes feel like extra padding. Regardless, I did like this episode and it moved the plot along unlike the previous two. There is a group of people who believe the Galactica is keeping a Cylon agent as prisoner and using their intelligence for their own purposes. This group also believes that the Cylon is manipulating Adama. Eventually they specifically name Sharon as said Cylon, but for a while this seems like just a hypothesis. It isn't one though. The episode starts with Billy proposing to Dee and getting rejected big time. Afterwards, we move to Cloud Nine where she's on a date with Apollo. While on Cloud Nine, this group of people suspecting Adama of harboring a Cylon comes and takes a club hostage, with Tigh's wife/Dee/Billy/Apollo part of the crowd. Starbuck is on Cloud Nine for her own reasons and is tasked with breaking everyone out, but she fails and shoots Apollo in the process. So once again, Apollo is fucked up. The group wants Sharon brought over to them, Adama acquiesces, and we learn that it's the dead Sharon's body, which has been in the morgue for weeks. Shootout ensues, Billy gets killed, and now the coast is clear for Apollo and Dee to hook up (forever???). I'm glad this guy's gone though because his character was unnecessary for a full season or more. I read that the show runner wasn't very happy with this episode, but I think everything was properly addressed here. More emphasis on Dana Delany's character would have been useless, and the same can be said for everyone in command having people in the bar. I think the viewer was easily able to understand the stakes here, and someone actually dying is a pleasant surprise. It seems like I was wrong about Billy being a Cylon though.

I also barely noticed Frank Sobotka up in here.

Staff member
Reaction score
THE CAPTAIN'S HAND

This was a great episode that I enjoyed very much. Here we have John Heard, who I now cannot unsee as anyone except Vin Makazian, as the new commander of the Pegasus. Commander Garner is very keen on reminding everyone that he came from the engine room and knows how to actually run the ship, which other, more glorious positions are simply incapable of understanding. Apollo is sent over after having been promoted to Major, his task is to assist the new commander, who may not know some of the things integral to keeping the fleet moving. It also seems like Apollo was sent over there because his father knows that at some point he will be in command of something. He's also good for eyes and ears. Unfortunately, Garner is not privy to Cylon tactics, he doesn't want to listen to anyone, and Starbuck's been giving him shit for days so this only makes matters worse. Meanwhile we have a side plot that brings the President to conclude they need to ban abortion. WTF. Afterwards, Gaius announces his presidential candidacy against her. Great episode here with multiple great endings. I almost forgot that Apollo is now in command of the Pegasus, and his relationship with Dee has gone to the next level.

DOWNLOADED

This is another strong episode even though it detracts from the overall plot, and kills some of the momentum from Apollo having assumed command of the new ship. Like, for example, what does Tigh think? Well, we'll find out way later. There's no easy way to explain the events here. The Number Six copy that died in the nuclear blast has been resurrected and is struggling with itself. It has the same issues Gaius does, with his conscience in her head. The Boomer copy that was killed aboard Galactica has also been resurrected and cannot believe on any level that they were a Cylon. Coming to grips with that is not really on the agenda. Meanwhile a copy of Lucy Lawless' character is tasked with getting their heads back on straight. It doesn't work. Anders also wants to blow up this cafe so many of the Cylon copies are at. He succeeds, but he's also reliant on Boomer and Number Six to save his life. While this is going on, it's time for Boomer on Galactica to give birth. Then it's time for the President to steal the child, put someone else's dead child in the incubator, and give the half-Cylon baby to someone unsuspecting. Meanwhile everyone else except her and the doctor think the baby died. Boomer thinks they murdered the baby. Not good! I'm glad this storyline was somewhat resolved here though.

Staff member
Reaction score
LAY DOWN YOUR BURDENS

This is a two parter that completely changes the dynamic of the show. I don't know where to start. Starbuck rescues Anders. Gaius wins the election even though Roslin attempts to cheat. In doing so, Gaius is able to enact his preferred policy, which is to settle on a planet found during an accidental jump. Prior to that, victory, we are introduced to a new Cylon posing as a priest. Everyone learns he's a Cylon when a copy comes to Galactica on Starbuck's ship, while another copy has been on the ship for quite a while. He claims the Cylons will no longer follow the humans around. At the same time, the election rigging and discovery of it leads to very bad things happening. If things weren't discovered, then who knows. But in this case, it's bad. After having settled on "New Caprica" for a full year, things have changed very much. Starbuck is married to Anders and Apollo to Dee. There's hardly anyone left on the Battlestars. Gaius has been utterly terrible and it appears New Caprica is like a gulag. But see, I've left something out. Gina exploded the nuclear weapon prior to this settlement. You think the Cylons are going to find out about it? Well, yes, they are. They decide to subjugate the entire planet, and what little remains of the fleet has to jump away in order to survive.

I've left a lot of shit out deliberately. This episode is just amazing on all levels. You know what's so good about it? It's the way you know what's going to happen, you see the characters thinking that they're finally okay, and then things happen exactly as you expect them to. But that's what humans do. Warning flags were ignored all over the place, and in the end these people chose their version of Trump. They got what they asked for.

Season 3

OCCUPATION

I had to read the synopsis of the webseries that occurred between seasons. This is another great episode with a lot of unexpected developments. Firstly, there is to be a police force of humans on New Caprica, those humans are obviously traitors and working with the Cylons. There is also a resistance. Anders, Tigh, and Tyrol are leading it. Tigh has lost an eye and was imprisoned until his wife banged the old Cylon guy's brains out. Starbuck is trapped in a prison with Leoben, who thinks he can make her love him. Sure thing bud. Meanwhile, in the fleet that escaped, Admiral Adama is trying to train the pilots they have to get the shit right. No fuck ups, no anything. Apollo has gotten fat and critiques him, which leads to Adama telling his fat ass to get out of his sight. I couldn't believe this, but that's not all I couldn't believe. You see, the Sharon copy that was still imprisoned on Galactica? I guess you could say she's only barely imprisoned now. And it turns out that Adama has a great relationship with her and they tell each other everything. Everything except when it comes to the baby, that is. I get the feeling that eventually he will. All that being said, its been one year and four months since humans settled on New Caprica. It's not going good. Except...Tigh has actually convinced someone to commit a suicide bombing and kill the new police force. You think they did it? Hell yeah. Of course the key issue here is that I can't understand how it would be possible to get the people on the planet back up into space. Can't see it. Maybe some of them, but all of them? No way. This season has a more defined direction than the other two though. It seems great.

Staff member
Reaction score
PRECIPICE

I was wondering how long this storyline was going to play out, and my initial impression is that it won't take very long now. They progressed from everything being under complete control to the point where the Galactica would send a recon team to New Caprica. Said recon team is led by a new officer, we know her as Sharon. I laughed hard, but this led to a great scene with Apollo and Adama where it is made clear Adama will not run, will not abandon anyone, and would rather just die if that's how things turned out. The storyline with Starbuck, I don't like it. Leoben claims she has a daughter, the kid gets sick and in need of medical attention, and yeah. I just don't like it. Gaius is also forced to do something he doesn't want to do, but this is all his fault anyway. It is then time for executions. Among many, I saw Cally, Roslin, and Tom Zarek. Zarek did what Gaius could not, he refused to comply with any of this. He also wished Roslin had actually stolen the election. Well, too late for that. The episode ends with everyone being lined up to be shot as Cally runs away through a forest. Now what? Well, Tigh's wife tells the Cylons the location of the meeting with the Galactica crew. This won't go well. The time jump in this show was such a good creative decision. There was no reason to show us anything of the colonization of New Caprica. It would have been far more boring than this.

Staff member
Reaction score
EXODUS

I thought the New Caprica storyline was going to be short, and it sure was. What we have here are like four weeks of events packed into a two part episode. It turned out that the Cylons did not execute anyone after having lined them all up. The cavalry came. It is then clear that there is no reason to go back to Galactica, it is time to get the fuck out of there. Adama has conceived of a plan that can be used. He wants other things to happen as part of that plan, but they do not. Instead, many thousands are lost, but the fleet does take off around the end of the episode and everyone jumps away from New Caprica. But on the way there...it turns out that Ellen Tigh is killed for her treachery. Killed by her own husband. D'Anna (Lucy Lawless) has a vision and learns the human-cylon is alive. Guess what? She also gets the baby come the end of the episode. Apollo is initially tasked with waiting 18 hours for Adama and the rest of the fleet to return, and if they don't he's supposed to bail out. Instead he flies up in there and uses the Pegasus as a kamikaze ship. So with that, there goes his command. But there go all the Cylon bases in the area too. As for Gaius, he flies away with the Cylons. Going back with the humans is completely untenable, he's spent all his bullets. It also turns out that of course Kacey is not Starbuck's child, she was stolen from a random human woman who recognizes Kacey when Starbuck gets back to Galactica. In the end, Adama is the hero. Also in the end, Tigh and others seem far too damaged to continue and lead anything resembling a normal military life. This is such a good, satisfying episode. Tons of feel good moments here. That's what a show really needs sometimes. Even though any regular simp would know Apollo will come in to save his dad, you need to see it.

COLLABORATORS

This episode begins with a very effective question and subject. What is the point of summary executions? When do you need them? When have they gone too far? These questions aren't answered because everyone has a different opinion on this subject. My opinion is as such. The summary execution in this episode is too far. But at the same time what are the boundaries? Should people who made decisions to commit crimes against humanity be executed for their wrongdoing? This isn't well enough explained but these ships also have finite space to house prisoners. What about the people beyond those decisionmakers, a step above, the ultimate in making decisions? Should they be executed too? The answer to me is no. There is only one person who should be executed and they are not there. Gaius not being there leads to the axe of judgment being swung on other people, who are sent out the airlock for their crimes. That is, until Felix Gaeta. Everyone has their limits of what they're willing to do. Then it turns out that Tom Zarek is the temporary President and has authorized these killings. Even prior to that it is made clear that Admiral Adama will not tolerate him being President, and he plans to resign and assume the Vice Presidency. Zarek makes some good arguments as to how the trials will derail the entire fleet if they were to do them any other way. That doesn't make them right. Roslin's idea to pardon everyone is similarly not a good idea, but that's what we're going with. Even though it comes out that Gaeta was the resistance's mole on the inside, he's still shunned just the same. I don't know where all this is going but it seems like Starbuck and Anders might be having some serious marriage problems. The show really has hit a stride so far this season though. That being said at some point we're going to need to learn more about what happened in the year between the colonization of New Caprica and the Cylon arrival. It sounded like Starbuck and Apollo did not leave things well to say nothing of everything else.

Staff member
Reaction score
TORN

Of course the whole season won't be as good as the previous episodes were. This episode is the start of a regression even though it isn't completely terrible the way one of the other episodes is. Let's start with the good. Admiral Adama is tired of Tigh and Starbuck's shit. He isn't going to take it anymore and gives them a speech that tears them straight down to their bones. Starbuck responds well to said speech and seems to be on her way back to normal. Tigh is not, and he will be confined to quarters for the meantime. Now let's talk about Sharon, who has decided her new call sign is Athena. So just call her that then. Then we have the part of the episode that is not so good. The Cylons want to travel to Earth and want Gaius to help them. So he does. Problem is, the Cylons have caught a virus that infects all the Cylons on a base ship in the Lion's Nebula. Gaius is to investigate but he does not tell anyone the truth. I'm not a fan of this tbh and it feels like mischaracterization. Gaius would definitely have told the Cylons about the diseased container because Gaius is all about saving his own ass.

A MEASURE OF SALVATION

Now we go back to something good before the absolutely nonsensical following episode. This is really straight forward and easy to explain. The humans are debating whether or not to infect the entire Cylon race with this virus, which would kill all of them. In other words this would be genocide. Roslin is in favor of it because after all, she was there on New Caprica. So is a no longer fat Apollo. Admiral Adama and to a greater extent Helo are not in favor, but Adama will do it if told to do so. Helo's reluctance to participate is borne from his feelings towards...Athena, but a lot of people really don't like hearing this, and they especially don't like his rationalizations for what happened on New Caprica. He shouldn't have said anything. I hate to say it but I'm more with Roslin here. If the only way to end slavery was to exterminate all slave owners, wouldn't you do it? Meanwhile Gaius is being tortured for information because nobody believes his explanations of what happened on the base ship. It is revealed here that there is a vaccine can be made, but the Cylon prisoners would have to be regularly vaccinated. Instead Helo kills them before the genocidal plan comes to fruition. Athena, it turns out, does not need the vaccine because she didn't catch the disease. Very interesting when you also consider we've never seen this version of this model die. In the end it is also decided that nothing will happen to Helo after what he's done. This is a good episode, but I probably look back on it being so good because of how bad the next one was.

HERO

This is by far the worst episode of the show and one of the worst I've seen in a great show. I almost don't even want to explain it. It turns out there was once a recon mission into Cylon territory, led by Adama and the pilot of his choice. When it seemed that the pilot would be caught, Adama had the plane shot down. Now three years later the pilot comes back after breaking free from his prison. Hard fucking pass to this. But there's worse. Even though the pilot comes back, Adama doesn't tell him the truth and Tigh starts stirring shit. Then at the end, Adama has a drink with Tigh anyway! This is a horrible episode, but the worst part is the blatant poor characterization of Adama. None of this shit would happen at all based on what we know of him. He even offers to resign! I don't really want to talk about this because it's terrible.

Staff member
Reaction score
UNFINISHED BUSINESS

This is a good episode that has some really corny shit in it, and everyone who has seen the show knows exactly what I'm referring to. Things are as such. Right now, the crew of Galactica is letting off some steam. Dog tags go in the box, rank is disregarded, and it's time to fight. And I mean anyone could fight, and anyone does. These scenes also go in tandem with a look back to New Caprica prior to when Admiral Adama pulled out of the area. As we know, Apollo and Starbuck are now married to other people. But they weren't, they had a chance to prevent that and they slept with each other. Then Starbuck got married to Anders anyway after having misled Apollo. So now it is clear that Dee is not anywhere near Apollo's first choice, but we did already know that. The best thing here is when Adama gets in the ring with Chief Tyrol. He is mad. Not just mad about one thing in particular, he's mad at himself. Adama believes that he shouldn't have gotten soft. He shouldn't have let anyone go down there and get too comfortable with each other. In a speech he says he won't let that happen ever again. So, now we know what to expect going forward from this show. FWIW I really don't like Apollo and Starbuck clearly on the way to splitting up with their spouses. Not a fan of that at all.

Staff member
Reaction score
THE PASSAGE

We have a good, interesting scenario here. The food reserves of the fleet have been contaminated and entirely depleted. They need food and they need it fast. While scouting, a planet with lots of algae has been found. It doesn't taste good, but it's food. Problem is that the entire civilian fleet needs to be jumped through a huge area of intense radioactivity. It will take two jumps to get through, and everyone has to come with. Some will die along the way. Some may also get radiation poisoning. It is then decided that the Raptors will make five back and forths, which is ten runs through this energy field. Surprisingly this turns into being an episode about Kat. It turns out that Kat has faked her name because she was a drug runner prior to the nuclear attack. You can probably guess what kind of episode this is, but I don't leave things up to guesses. This is a send off episode in which she dies heroically while never having to reveal her true self to Admiral Adama. He doesn't want to know, and lets her die with that dignity. Meanwhile the Cylon plot with Lucy Lawless has become almost complete nonsense. Gaius is obsessed with the final five Cylon models, and I can't even tell you what Number Three is trying to do. Good episode even besides that, and this was the right way to do a character death.

THE EYE OF JUPITER

I like this one too. The prominent story here is that on this algae planet, there is a temple that will help the humans find their way to Earth. Problem is, the Cylons arrive at the same time and also want to know the way to Earth. For once it's time for making a deal instead of fighting. But first, Apollo and Starbuck are having an affair and this makes me hate both their characters. The Cylons want things to go as such. They will give the humans Gaius. They will take the Eye of Jupiter from this temple, then they will leave. It's funny how Olmos plays this because you can easily believe that he would really give things up just to have a crack at Gaius. That's not all though. Athena finds out from Boomer that her baby is still alive. Admiral Adama learns this after them, and I feel like the show missed an opportunity to have him rip into Roslin for lying to him. Instead it seems like he knows Helo and Athena want their child back and is willing to help him. That is, until it seems clear that we're very much into the realm of threats. Like, Adama threatening to nuke the entire continent of this algae planet. And that's how the season ends. Bonus points to the storyline with Anders and Apollo though. I'm not too into the mythology of this show, or the Cylons convoluted origins or explanations or any of that stuff. So, it's good the episode didn't dwell too much on any of this even though it was about this subject.

Staff member
Reaction score
RAPTURE

This is a continuation of the previous episode. It's clear how everything was left, and for the most part the episode goes as I expected. By that I mean everything goes as I expected except for one thing. That one thing is that Number Six wound up on Galactica after helping Athena escape with her baby. I mean, I knew Athena would go to the base ship and get her baby. Everyone should know that. Everyone should know that the humans are going to capture Gaius. And of course Lucy Lawless had been on this show way too much for someone with her status and her arc would end soon. Now it's done. However, her character (Number Three) has a vision in the temple and sees the faces of the final five Cylon models. And she recognizes one of them. The question is who? It would have to be someone she knows quite well from New Caprica. Good episode here but I would think it's nowhere near as important as what's to come. I really hate Apollo and Starbuck now though.

TAKING A BREAK FROM ALL YOUR WORRIES

You know how I said I'm hating Starbuck and Apollo? Well, this whole episode is about them and how shitty they are. I don't know if the fanbase was supposed to like these episodes or not, and they probably did, but this storyline just doesn't sit right with me. You don't marry a good person and treat them like this. At least the rest of the episode is about Gaius and his return to the brig of Galactica. It's time to interrogate him. He has some things to offer, but mostly a pile of nonsense even though he's been drugged into letting his guard down. Eventually it is decided to let Gaius talk to Gaeta. This does not go well for anyone. He accuses Gaeta of having been the real traitor because these things happened without a gun to his head, and he says he allowed Gaeta to have access to documents because he knew who Gaeta would be giving them to. Of course this is nonsense. Gaeta eventually can't handle it and he stabs Gaius in the neck. I really don't even want to talk about the Apollo and Starbuck shit. At least in this case it's mostly Apollo. Really frustrating is what this is. Obviously I could take or leave this episode because of that.

Staff member
Reaction score
THE WOMAN KING

This was a good episode with a nice surprise at the end, which I wasn't expecting at all. Helo has been reassigned to a refugee hangar deck, his job is to supervise and manage it. There are many Sagittarons scheduled to come on the ship. Problem is that many of them are sick and Sagittarons do not believe in medicine. In this case they aren't just sick, they're potentially deathly sick should they not seek treatment. The storyline here revolves around Helo and the work of a civilian doctor onboard. Helo is absolutely convinced that this doctor is killing Sagitarrons when they break and seek treatment. He's right. He finds proof and everyone still doesn't believe him. That is until the end of the episode, when Dee is laid up and everyone is freaking out. Then it is made clear the doctor was really killing them. I thought this episode was going to play the events as Helo being wrong in order to explain Tigh taking over his position on the Galactica. I was thinking he needed to let this shit go, but he didn't let it go nor did he need to.

Unfortunately the acting in this episode is very bad, mostly from Helo's end. It is hard to believe in the storyline.

Staff member
Reaction score
A DAY IN THE LIFE

Finally we have an Adama centric episode. The secondary plot here revolves around the Tyrols, which is fine too. It's Adama's anniversary of when he was married to his wife, who is obviously long dead by now even though that isn't specified. Whenever his anniversary comes around, he thinks about his marriage all day. His marriage wasn't that good and according to Apollo, his wife was also abusive long after Adama had gone. Of course this aligns with the secondary plot. The Tyrols are having marriage problems, and the Chief decided that he would bring his wife with him to a repair against her will. She would rather spend time with their child, but doesn't get what she wanted. They go into an area of the ship where the hull had been patched, but it starts leaking again. The ship will have to be blown from the outside and they will be jettisoned into a waiting Raptor. Maybe. This does work, but Cally winds up in a hyperbaric chamber from decompression sickness and is in rough shape. This episode also starts accelerating the idea of Adama and Roslin getting together. But we'll see if they do anything with that. This was a really good episode though. It properly illustrates how people can become wrapped around their memories and become unable to shake them.

DIRTY HANDS

I was wondering when the show was going to come back to this point. Here we see a resurgence of Tyrol the union leader. The funny thing is that this in some part inspired by a manifesto Gaius has had smuggled out of his cell on the brig. Everything Gaius wrote down feels like something that will lead to what Tom Zarek said would happen, the bringing down of the whole fleet. It is clear to me the show will not end without something like that. The scene where Gaius is searched is quite tense because I'm unsure where the limits will be. In this case they didn't strip search him. Apparently he also has a working class background, so this is exactly the kind of divisive factor that should feature in following episodes. Throughout the episode it is made clear that those with a working class background or certain colonial citizenship are lesser than those from other colonies. There is a built in caste system here and an aristocracy that seems unlikely to be punctured without violence. There's also a third plot here where someone from Tyrol's deck crew is initially rejected from becoming a pilot because their deck work is too important. This is fixed come the end of the episode. Did I also mention that Adama threatened to shoot Cally to prevent a mutiny after Tyrol caused a general strike? The moral ambiguity here is great. It also doesn't need to be mentioned that a real strike would break the fleet apart, so what do you do?

Staff member
Reaction score
MAELSTROM

Now we have a legitimately shocking Starbuck centered episode. Is she actually dead? The rest doesn't really matter here. But given this show isn't prone to funny business? Unless she was a Cylon, I would think she's dead and gone. It's also obvious to me anyway that she was not seeing a Cylon Raider and was just bugging out. I don't really know what to say about any of this because of how surprising it was. The insights into her family life were really good too. The reactions to her death were similarly surprising. That being said I need to say that...they did not actually show her die. Did you see her dead body? No? Alright then.

THE SON ALSO RISES

In the aftermath of Starbuck having died (?), we have the upcoming trial of Gaius Baltar. It is time for selections to be made for the tribunal, for Gaius to have his lawyer start preparing a defense, and to decide what to do with the Number Six model currently on Galactica. Firstly though, Gaius has a lawyer who is bombed in a terrorist act, and apparently such acts will continue. As such, Apollo is assigned to his security. Apollo and his dad are both massively reeling here. Guess what? Admiral Adama is also chosen to be one of the five ship captains who sits on the tribunal for Gaius. Over the course of the episode, Apollo gets close to the lawyer working on Gaius' behalf. His name is Lampkin. In the end? Apollo decides that he wants to be part of Gaius defense. Maybe he's been manipulated into it by Lampkin, but I doubt that. We'll see! I have one other observation here though. I realized while watching this episode that Cally has to be the stupidest character on this show. The writers must have had something against her to write the character this way. Her line about this being a Cylon plot has to be the dumbest thing I've heard in a television show. Why would the Cylons want Gaius to have no lawyer? It just, I dunno man. So dumb. But I do like that this story advances Apollo's main plot thread from the miniseries, that he wants to be his own man and won't stop until he's seen that way.

Staff member
Reaction score
CROSSROADS

It's time for the trial of Gaius Baltar. During this trial, man, I really hate to say it because this guy is a scumbag and guilty of other crimes. But I feel like Apollo is right in defending him and right in saying that you can't just look for someone to blame in an undeniably impossible situation. There's more to the episode than just the trial though. This is a two parter, and I knew as soon as a certain four characters started hearing songs in the walls, that those were going to be four of our five Cylons. I am surprised that one of them (the President's aide) hasn't even slightly been an important part of this show at all. Maybe that means she'll be the one that actually acts like a Cylon instead of returning to her post. There seems to be no way these four could not be Cylons. No way that they're wrong. So now what? Tigh says they should return to their post. It seems to me that some of them will do just that, and not do anything to help the Cylons. But who really knows?

Of course, Gaius is ruled to be not guilty come the end, largely due to Apollo's speech. In the process many people are completely damaged and their reputations soiled perhaps beyond all attempts to rehabilitate them. Some of them haven't yet had their reputations ruined but I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing that happen. Felix Gaeta is a liar. Tigh's drunkeness is going to be seen in the light of Adama having ruined his relationship with his son over it. Maybe. I hope? I dunno. Starbuck's comeback is not surprising, but how will she be seen? I presume not in such a good light herself. The lawyer character here was great. Not sure the episode would have held up without him.

RAZOR

I didn't really care for this because I felt like it detracted from the current flow of episodes. However, I do know that the line about Starbuck killing the human race? That's going to be a major factor in the final season it seems. I guess for that alone, this was worth my time. But besides that, it isn't. We are brought back to the Pegasus, to Apollo's first mission in command. Interspersed with these events are the actions of his XO, a Major Shaw. We are shown how the Pegasus came to be all by itself, the massacre of civilians, the reveal of Gina being a Number Six clone, all of that stuff. It just doesn't feel that important right now. If I was sure I could have, I probably would have skipped it.

Staff member
Reaction score
SEASON 4

HE THAT BELIEVETH IN ME

This episode picks up straight where Crossroads left off. Starbuck has returned in a brand new Viper and nobody believes that there isn't something going on, because of course...nobody should believe something isn't going on. It is assumed by most that she is a Cylon. Rational explanation, but the four we know are Cylons? Considering Starbuck never came to meet them, they don't believe it. When the fleet is scrambled out there to fight Raiders, one scans Anders' face...and then the entire Cylon fleet retreats. Yeah, there's no need to read anything more into that. It's very clear. Tigh's daydream here was very interesting and potentially could be foreshadowing, so we'll see about that. The Gaius storyline is also highly amusing now and a continuous source of entertainment for me. The real meat in this episode is the ending though. Starbuck pulls a gun on the President, demanding that they stop jumping away from the direction Starbuck wants to head in. Good way to leave things hanging I think.

SIX OF ONE

Of course, this episode begins with how we left off too. In this case Starbuck gives the President her gun and the President tries to kill her. It is clear that Roslin is not going to listen to anything Starbuck has to say about finding Earth. It is also clear that Admiral Adama is in pretty much the worst position a person could possibly be in. He can't go against Roslin, but he doesn't much like what Roslin is telling him either. So he gives it to her straight and tells the absolute truth about what it's like to die. He doesn't want to give in to Starbuck either and has an enormous argument with her. The episode does end with him giving Starbuck a ship and crew though. Tory also starts sleeping with Gaius to try to find out who the last Cylon is, and she almost lets it slip what she is. He does reassure her that Cylons are just like anyone else. So, I bet he will know soon. At the same time, there are ramifications for Cylon Raiders after the one saw Anders and their whole attacking force turned around. Number 1, 4, and 5 want them reprogrammed. The others do not, and a Number Six we haven't seen before decides to take it to the next level and slaughter the dissenters. This may mean the Cylons don't attack the humans for quite some time. I really liked both these episodes.

Staff member
Reaction score
THE TIES THAT BIND

I know the show is ending this season, but I'm still surprised at the acceleration of certain plot lines. In this case the episode is about the now deceased Cally. Why now deceased? Tory threw her out an airlock after Cally was considering killing herself and her son. Why would she do that? Well, she spied on Tigh's little Cylon meeting and now she knows. The information dies with her though, as it appears Tory will never tell anyone. She also did not tell Tyrol that she was spying on the meeting. Instead, she just bashed his head in with a wrench and failed to kill him. I told you guys she was stupid. As such it seems that Tyrol will never know, unless he's to be told later. We'll see about that. In the meantime we have story following Apollo now as a member of the Quarum of 12. The President has been lying for some time and trying to clamp down on the spread of important information. It seems that Apollo's role here will be to bust through that, to be Roslin's foil, and potentially even take her spot as she's dying. Meanwhile Starbuck's little adventure is not going well and the crew are beginning to get sick of her. Good episode and I assume that all the rest of them will be.

ESCAPE VELOCITY

Our episode begins with Cally's funeral, and a lot of the episode centers around Tyrol and his feelings about the whole thing. Some time after the funeral, he makes the decision to go apeshit. Maybe he did this on purpose because he nearly got someone killed and he's worried about the impact his Cylon programming could have on things. I don't know. He really lets Adama hear it though. The part that makes me think it's all on purpose is when he asks for a demotion. Tory has also now fully leaned into being a Cylon and seems to be capable of doing diabolical things. Killing Cally is not diabolical though. She was going to kill her own kid. I don't really have a problem with that in the context of a television show. Gaius sermonizing to certain people aboard Galactica has now become out of control. Apollo even does the stupid thing of arguing Gaius case once more at a quarum meeting, which enables Gaius to preach like this and attract more psychotic followers to his cult of the one god. The episode ends on this note and it is very clear some crazy shit is going to happen from here on out. This is the end, after all.

Staff member
Reaction score
THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

We have two ongoing plots here. One revolves around Tyrol and his fascination with Gaius Baltar, and come the end it seems that he likes Baltar's religious message. Clearly this is going to become a thing. I hate to say it but a lot of the things Gaius talks about make sense within the context of the show, and it's no surprise that the things he's saying are resonating with everyone onboard ships. The other plot here which seems to be much more important is Starbuck attempting to find Earth. She seems to be incapable of doing that. More to the point it seems that the crew no longer wishes to listen to anything she says. This accelerates to the point where we're talking about a mutiny. But, how could things get to that point? You see, it turns out Leoben has found the Demetrius and has been taken onboard. Starbuck is also busted listening to him and decides that she wants to take the ship to his old base star even when they lose a crew member because Leoben's ship explodes. The old base star of course was damaged during the unseen Cylon Civil War. At the end here Helo decides that they're not doing that, Starbuck cannot find an XO to carry out her order, so Helo takes over command of the ship. The mutiny has officially begun.

FAITH

Unfortunately the mutiny doesn't last that long, but it seems the ramifications of this will be widespread when everyone returns to the fleet. It ends when Anders freaks out about his wife being screwed over, or because his Cylon programming kicked in, and he goes and shoots Gaeta in the leg. Seems clear Gaeta will lose his leg. Meanwhile we see more of what Baltar's preaching is bringing to the fleet, we see that Roslin is almost surely going to die this time around, and we're treated to many scenes about a disabled Cylon basestar. Disabled in the sense that it won't be attacking anything, but it still works. Some. There's a lot of filler in this episode but the important things are as such. A Number Six model kills one of the soldiers we've seen numerous times on the show, and is killed as punishment for that. There is no resurrection ship either. Most importantly here is that a hybrid says a lot of things. Of course Starbuck ignores the most important thing stated here, that she will kill the human race. This is the second time someone has been told this. It appears she will not mention it at all. Of course the episode ends with the basestar coming back to the rendezvous point and inevitably it will be brought back to the main fleet. How will everyone react?

Staff member
Reaction score
GUESS WHAT'S COMING TO DINNER?

So, we start things off with an unsurprising twist, the Cylon basestar accidentally arrives back at the fleet alone. When it arrives, everyone plans to attack. Except for Tigh that is. He gives an order that certainly must be a kick in of programming or something, no attack is made, then the Demetrius finally jumps to the fleet and the situation is secure. Of course now we have Cylons in the fleet itself and they are not made prisoner. They decide that they want to make a deal with Adama. They tell him about the Cylon Civil War, then they say that all they want is the final five models once they find them. Then they will co-exist. In return they offer Adama the chance to destroy their resurrection hub, which will lead to all currently living Cylons becoming mortal. This is very appealing, but of course both sides have plans to screw the other. The humans don't want to give the Cylons the final five until they reach Earth, if at all. The Cylons want to take hostages to ensure they are given the final five. The final five know about all this and have no idea what to do. In the end, some decisions are made for them. Athena brings us to the end of these opera house dreams by killing a Six model who was representing Cylon interests. After all, in the dream a Six takes her daughter. Then, instead of doing what they wanted with the basestar, when they plug the hybrid back in it immediately jumps away. I don't know how other people feel about an episode with this kind of commitment to the storyline that will shape the whole rest of the show, but I liked it. I also liked that scumbag Gaeta lost his leg.

SINE QUA NON

Of course this episode picks up where the last one left off. In this case, the Cylon Six (Natalie) dies even though everyone tries to save her. Let's set the stage here. Half the Viper pilots and their Vipers jumped away when the basestar jumped away. Roslin and Baltar also jumped away as they were onboard. I believe Helo was aboard the basestar too. Natalie's death leads to a lot of great scenes. Adama goes to interrogate Athena and is extremely fucking angry. Her explanation is legitimate as we know, but Adama is too close to the situation and he's too scared Roslin will die. So he throws Athena in the brig. Meanwhile it turns out Tigh has been banging the Six model in the brig AND IT TURNS OUT SHE'S PREGNANT. This almost feels like a jumping the shark kind of moment. I'll continue though. The B plot here is that Apollo becomes the acting President. Lampkin helps him come to this conclusion, and then he pulls a gun on him because he's depressed, but it all works out in the end. The episode finishes up with Adama giving command to Tigh (a Cylon), getting in a Raptor, and waiting for the basestar to return. I did leave a lot of things out here but in the grand scheme of things, I think what I mentioned is more important. I feel like one of the next two episodes will show what happened on the basestar while everyone was gone.

Staff member
Reaction score
THE HUB

This episode is exactly what I thought it was, which is to say that it explains what happened on the Basestar prior to Adama boarding said Basestar at the end of the episode. What happened is that Roslin's plans didn't really come off the way she was expecting. For some reason she thought she could manipulate everything to work in her favor even though there was pretty much no chance of that. Of course we have yet to see what D'Anna will do but it's probably a fair assumption to think she will sign onto the hostage taking strategy. I'm not sure how much I liked this episode to be honest. Maybe it was just too much what I thought would happen. As it relates to things I didn't think would happen, how about Gaius nearly dying? Can't say I saw that coming. It's Roslin who nearly does him in even. He did tell her a little too much though. I can't wait to see how everyone gets fucked over here. So, not a great episode, but it sets all that up.

Staff member
Reaction score
REVELATIONS

Well, I'm sure glad I didn't have to wait so long to watch the episode after this one the way everyone else did at the time. Everything accelerates very quickly here because of the writer's strike. Nobody was sure if they would actually be able to finish their shows. So, we go from the Basestar coming into the fleet, to the reveal of four of the Final Five, to Earth, to Earth being a pile of shit planet that nobody could ever live on again. It's all a lot, and it all happens too fast, but all of it is good anyway. What I wasn't expecting here was for Apollo to step up and take control of the situation because his dad knows that he cannot. Not only does he take control, he does it with gusto. This works as a companion episode to the following one even though they were separated by many months. If going through the show now I think it would be essential to watch them back to back. Of course this alliance between certain Cylon models and humans? It ain't gonna last. No fuckin way.

SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION

This wasn't quite the way I expected the episode to go. Did I think everyone would be bummed out? Well, yeah. What I thought would happen is that the other Cylons would attack the rebels at the time of their failure and force the humans and rebels to join forces in an actual battle. Instead it's much more dour. Everyone is in straight up despair and can hardly even function. It would be easier to list those who still could. It seems Gaius and Lee have kept their faculties. Tigh hasn't kept his, but the other Cylons held up well. How long they'll be able to do that is clearly in question. There are some guesses here that may turn out to be true, and maybe they're not. We'll have to see if the Final Five remember more of their past lives on this Earth. Oh yeah, they were there. Ellen Tigh, it turns out, is the fifth. She was also there, but now she's dead. But she is a Cylon. The thirteenth tribe were Cylons, but Adama decides not to tell the regular civilians this fact. He wants to die though. He just can't do it to himself. Nobody will do it for him though. On the other hand Dee is perfectly capable of killing herself and does exactly that. Can't say I saw that coming. Can't say I saw it coming that Starbuck's Viper would be on Earth, with her body inside, and she still be standing there. And she's not going to tell anyone the truth. I need to know more, I can't wait to know more. I've done a good job of not spoiling myself, so things that happened in this episode carried a lot of weight, much more than if I'd known what happened. When Adama says they'll continue looking for a new home, you know he means it. But what will they find on their way there?

Staff member
Reaction score
A DISQUIET FOLLOWS MY SOUL

I knew there was a reason I hated this Gaeta motherfucker. You don't even need to watch the following episode to know what's coming. The situation here is pretty simple. There are many humans who do not want a human-rebel Cylon alliance. Tom Zarek is chiefly among them and is using his political power to push things towards a confrontation. Roslin has abandoned her duties as President and just doesn't really care. At least, for now. Zarek orchestrates some scenarios to his benefit, but doesn't capitalize on them just yet. Admiral Adama arrests him because he knows what's going on, and blackmails Zarek to put an end to some of these actions. It isn't over though. Obviously, any cooperation with the Cylons is the problem here even though what's proposed isn't that bad. The fleet needs their jump technology upgraded, the Cylons are willing to help, but everyone has chosen their side. Also important here is that Tyrol's child isn't his after all. Like I said, the producers must have disliked the chick who played Cally. I bet they had good reasons. So, this episode ends with a very likely potential mutiny and Tyrol abandoning a child that isn't his. Some shit is gonna go down.

THE OATH

The oath here is a reference to the one all Colonial soldiers must take, one which has not been followed at all. The mutiny has begun. Zarek and Gaeta have marshaled themselves quite a paramilitary force here. Many notable, but minor characters have joined this mutiny. Everyone you think wouldn't be part of the mutiny is not. You should know the characters by this point of the show and their actions should never be that surprising. It's good that they aren't. Roslin also snaps out of it and comes to action. There is just one surprise. It's Gaius. He decides that the mutiny is not in his best interests and doesn't join. He's probably right, I think he would be killed. He tries to have Gaeta come to his senses, but that's not happening. It is also made clear that Gaeta was in on everything that happened on New Caprica. The scene where Adama is arrested is one of the best in the whole series. The lines are delivered with so much conviction as to believe them completely. Will he execute anyone? I'm not sure. It isn't in his character to do so. Zarek wanted Adama killed but Gaeta was not capable of doing this. Surely this will cost them. The episode also ends on a cliffhanger but there's no chance Gaius and Roslin will be shot down. Not a great cliffhanger even though the episode more than holds up its end.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
this whole arc is so great and the build up throughout the entire series with Zarek and Gaeta is super. Adama is so good in these episodes.