Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

90's Nickelodeon Nostalgia Thread!

hyperchord24

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kotzenjunge said:
The difficulty of the Temple made LOTHT the one Nickelodeon show I didn't want to go on. I'd get so lost in that motherfucker, plus I'd probably kick a temple guard in the nuts on instinct the moment he popped out.
I've watched quite a few episodes and I never saw anyone beat the Temple. It's happened right?

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's happened, but all anyone remembers is those kids fucking up the Shrine of the Silver Monkey.

TheSSNintendo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It blew my mind at times how some of the contestants would totally flop playing the "Video Challenge" games on Nick Arcade. How hard was it to get 50 rings in Sonic?

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nick Arcade, now that's a game where I'm hard pressed to remember anyone winning.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Its always a mindfuck for me to go back and see people getting their start on the live action shows. Remembering Jewel Staite from Space Cases was weird enough but I had completely forgotten that Adam Busch (Warren from Buffy) was on Mystery Files of Shelby Woo.

I also remember trying to get into Tomorrow People, but the whole thing was too out there and weird for me as a kid.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
What the hell is wrong with? #4: Nick Arcade

I LOVED the Tomorrow People. It was weird as hell but I really enjoyed the surreslism to it. I also had no idea it was actually a remake of an earlier series of the same name. I came across the Nickelodeon one on YouTube a few years ago but decided not to watch it because I didn' t want to ruin the memories.

Richard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of the actresses on Welcome Freshmen went on to play a whore in two different Joel Schumacher movies, showing her snatch in one of those.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Been re-watching Are You Afraid of the Dark? and that opening still sends shivers despite knowing it's coming. Also DVR'd the infamous "Screw" episode of Kenan & Kel. I just love that end courtroom scene.

"I... dropped the screw... in the tuna! It was me!! Oh, the humanity!"

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
MFer said:
Nick Arcade, now that's a game where I'm hard pressed to remember anyone winning.

I saw a handful where it was won. I probably saw it beat more times than I saw Merlock be the villain at the end. They never seemed to use him very much at all.

I was marking out like crazy when Bobby Heenan showed up on What Would You Do?

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My favourite game show was Nick Arcade and I couldn't STAND when kids moved Mikey somewhere stupid not even attempting to get him to the finish. This happened more often than I could have ever imagined!

Even worse was when they landed on the Time Bomb. You can see it on the board you stupid kids!

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely remember people winning on Nick Arcade quite often. It just took a good combination because more often than not it would be some junior varsity basketball kid stuck on a team with a 200 black girl and she'd fuck it up for him.

Legends of the Hidden Temple I'm not sure I remember anyone winning that but I didn't watch it a lot so it's hard to say. Double Dare had a grand prize winner about once a week though so maybe 1/5 won it and they had some decent prizes from time to time, including cars on the Family version which was WAY harder because of course mom fucks everything up digging in the nose.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Much like Nick Arcade, I saw teams win The Legend of the Hidden Temple (although it was rarer) than I saw the Purple Parrots actually make it out of the first round (which was once). I was stunned when I finally saw them do it and actually make to the finals. That was about as big an upset as the time Barry Horowitz beat Skip.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Figure It Out was the death of the channel to me, even if some of the All That parodies of it were fairly decent.

The channel should really just be Dan Schneider shows now, because the only non-Nicktoon shows that are decent at all are from him (Drake & Josh, iCarly, Victorious). Blending adult humor with safe children's comedy = win.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
But Figure It Out had Summer Sanders!

I kinda remember a People's Court for kids show that had the audience shout out "FAIR" or "UNFAIR" at the end.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
KingPK said:
I kinda remember a People's Court for kids show that had the audience shout out "FAIR" or "UNFAIR" at the end.

Well if you ever find out what it was called maybe you can post video of it in this thread ;)

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
KingPK said:

It's got an incredibly hard to remember title. I'm stunned that anybody could remember a show called Kid's Court. STUNNED!

"Kids take each other to court and an applause-O-meter judge decides their verdict. Paul Provenza is the host of this short-lived and relatively forgotten early Nickelodeon show."

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Somewhere buried either in my room or my basement I have a very old (so old it has a commercial for Super Mario Bros. 2!) VHS tape with an episode of Kids' Court on it. It pitted a girl who wanted to dye her hair against a domineering mother and featured a guest appearance from publishing icon Jane Pratt.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kid's Court would have been more interesting if they hadn't been so blithe about making the cases seem obviously phony. I still remember one case about a boy suing his friend for agreeing to take over the plaintiff's paper route for a few days and doing a lousy job. One of the pieces of evidence for how bad the kid was doing: some other kid comes in with a newspaper embedded in his skull, like the old Steve Martin arrow-thru-the-head deal. Watching that shit when I was six or seven years old, I felt like the show was insulting my intelligence.

Kahran Ramsus said:
My favourite game show was Nick Arcade and I couldn't STAND when kids moved Mikey somewhere stupid not even attempting to get him to the finish. This happened more often than I could have ever imagined!
Even worse was when they landed on the Time Bomb. You can see it on the board you stupid kids!
I wonder what the real reason for all that incompetent playing was. Stage fright can't explain just how incredibly often it happened. And I doubt Nickelodeon literally pulled a short bus up to the special school and collected all their contestants in that manner. So, some of these kids had to be doing it on purpose. Why?

Also, it bugged me when some of the game shows were so random in the inconsistent difficulty of their obstacles. Anyone else remember the goddamn Sundae Slide on Double Dare? They shoulda called that thing the Anti-Make-A-Wish, because it took healthy children and then completely crushed their hopes and dreams. I used to watch that show religiously, and I can probably count on one hand the number of kids who ever got past the Slide.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Four Points Part 1

Anybody else remember watching this? There were only 3 episodes aired and it was from 1999.

Wow, I do remember this. Pretty sure I liked it at the time.

In a different life, I would've loved to have been on Double Dare with my mom, dad, and sister. Or Legends of the Hidden Temple as an individual.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also, it bugged me when some of the game shows were so random in the inconsistent difficulty of their obstacles. Anyone else remember the goddamn Sundae Slide on Double Dare? They shoulda called that thing the Anti-Make-A-Wish, because it took healthy children and then completely crushed their hopes and dreams. I used to watch that show religiously, and I can probably count on one hand the number of kids who ever got past the Slide.

They were probably there so they didn't have too many winners, but yeah pretty much every Nick game show had at least one level that was super difficult to get by.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kahran Ramsus said:
They were probably there so they didn't have too many winners, but yeah pretty much every Nick game show had at least one level that was super difficult to get by.
The thing that bothered me was the massive disparity in difficulty. The Sundae Slide was MUCH harder than any other obstacle that Double Dare ever used. There was not a single other obstacle on that show which resulted in even half as many people losing the game as that one. If the winning team found out that they had to face the damn Slide in their final obstacle course, they might as well quit and go home. But it wasn't always used; it only showed up maybe half the time, at the most. So the producers were essentially choosing which families had a good chance and which didn't, simply by deciding whether or not to include this one obstacle. Even as a young kid, I thought that was incredibly unfair.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I like to believe Summers designed the course as passive aggressive revenge for having to be someone with OCD about cleanliness hosting on a show based around slime and food.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember the waffles obstacle being a killer for some teams. Trying to retrieve the flag from all that sludge was like finding a needle in a haystack sometimes.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jingus said:
Kahran Ramsus said:
The thing that bothered me was the massive disparity in difficulty. The Sundae Slide was MUCH harder than any other obstacle that Double Dare ever used. There was not a single other obstacle on that show which resulted in even half as many people losing the game as that one. If the winning team found out that they had to face the damn Slide in their final obstacle course, they might as well quit and go home. But it wasn't always used; it only showed up maybe half the time, at the most. So the producers were essentially choosing which families had a good chance and which didn't, simply by deciding whether or not to include this one obstacle. Even as a young kid, I thought that was incredibly unfair.

You weren't the only one. I thought it was too.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
MFer said:
I remember the waffles obstacle being a killer for some teams. Trying to retrieve the flag from all that sludge was like finding a needle in a haystack sometimes.
I always figured "find the flag in this muck" would be the hardest.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And the amount of muck varied wildly from obstacle to obstacle. Sometimes it was an entire swimming pool filled with slime, which was nearly impossible. Other times it was like that "stick your hands up the nostrils of this giant nose" deal, where the contestant always took about five second to find the flag. Once again: massively unfair.