Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

A Game of Thrones: Season 8

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was no way it could live up to expectations yeah. I thought all of the stuff with Jon/Tyrion/Dany was really well acted and satisfying. A number of the character endings were good as well. There were some things that didn't fully make sense and would have benefited from more time and plotting (such as more about putting bran on the throne, like pointing out how the starks and their allies essentially controlled the voting) and more to explain why Grey Worm would give up Jon and Tyrion (more about the armies outside the city perhaps) but in the end I don't think it was that big a deal.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
I wish they showed Grey Worm struggling with being a solider and devoted to Dany and wanting to honour Missandei by living a peaceful life with her people and to protect them. Have her death mellow him like it broke Dany.

Maybe I got too caught up following the side characters in this series but they did make me feel like anyone could come in and impact the story.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Grey Worm losing his balls at a young age caused him to mentally stunt.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-will-george-rr-martin-final-game-of-thrones-books-end-60-minutes-2019-04-15/

Anderson Cooper: When it clear they were catching up, you told them over-- a kind of an overarching future of where you saw the-- the last two books going in terms of plot?

George R.R. Martin: Yes. And, you know, the major beats. I mean, obviously, we're talking here about a-- several days of story conferences taking place in my home in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
---

He also says his ending won't be too different. Not that he will finish it but there ya go.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Why would Sansa think the north wouldn’t kneel to Bran as King when he’s a Stark?

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Wow, didn't like the finale at all. Of all the dumb plot points this season thinking that Grey Worm and the Unsullied wouldn't immediately kill Jon after killing Dany might be the dumbest.

I get that they wanted to give Jon his "happy ending" of leading the free folk past the wall, but there had to have been a better way to get him out of there. I will say at least they didn't just stick him at the Night's Watch without giving away that he wasn't staying and was going to live with the free folk (probably the only place he could be happy again at this point).

Also, the whole committee of the houses was just a terrible scene, and such an anti-climatic way to create a new leader. Just horrible.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
cobainwasmurdered said:
HSJ said:
Why would Sansa think the north wouldn’t kneel to Bran as King when he’s a Stark?

because she really wanted to be queen.

I mean...yeah. Doesn’t overly feel too happy. She has no family or Brienne up there with her. Just a bunch of faceless northern.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
cobainwasmurdered said:
HSJ said:

because she really wanted to be queen.

That and the ruler is no longer hereditary. The North would accept Bran, but what about the next ruler?

What I don’t get is why Dorne and The Iron Islands didn’t say the same thing.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't have much problem with the final season. While it was rushed, I find that a lot of the complaints are along the lines of "the characters didn't have the fates I personally wanted for them" variety. Jon living was a bit of a stretch given how badly the Unsullied wanted him dead and I still don't know why Drogon let him live to get that far.

When Sam started suggesting about letting the people decide I started groaning because it would be completely unrealistic in this setting, so I got a good chuckle out of nobody else taking it seriously. The actual solution was fine as it was basically how monarchs were chosen in the actual English Dark Ages. Also, where was Lord Tully all this time? We hadn't seen him since before the Freys got massacred right?

What I don’t get is why Dorne and The Iron Islands didn’t say the same thing.

The whole realm is exhausted from war at this point and probably doesn't have the will to fight, but I don't see the current situation being very stable. There is almost certain to be civil wars in the future over the throne when certain claimants lose out or certain Houses feel disrespected.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Edmure was the Frey’s captive after the red wedding. You saw him again when Jamie sent him into the Riverlands castle to essentially hand it over to the Lannister army. I don’t recall if they let him go after that and keep his home or if the whole thing was just dropped and not mentioned again. If he was still the Frey’s captive then I have no idea what he’s been up to since Arya wipes them out.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Friend of mine has been going nuts on Facebook about how the message of the show is against women in power. Like they're pissed at everything involving women being treated like shit in the final show and how it's an example of all kinds of things. Keeps trying to pick a fight. It's an interesting overreaction. Then she wants everyone to buy into cryptocurrency.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Youth N Asia said:
Edmure was the Frey’s captive after the red wedding. You saw him again when Jamie sent him into the Riverlands castle to essentially hand it over to the Lannister army. I don’t recall if they let him go after that and keep his home or if the whole thing was just dropped and not mentioned again. If he was still the Frey’s captive then I have no idea what he’s been up to since Arya wipes them out.

It is just weird. He's not at Riverrun because Cersei was going to give it to Bronn. He's not at Winterfell which would be the logical place if Arya freed him from the Freys. Presumably he wasn't still at the Twins because he would have starved to death in his cell long before now. He's just not anywhere.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Man the Dothraki really adjusted to Westerosi life really quickly and without incident, huh? Dany dies and all of a sudden they're walking amongst the population of KL like they've lived there all their lives.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He was actually off leading expedition north with Mance Rayder's twin brother..

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Valeyard said:
Friend of mine has been going nuts on Facebook about how the message of the show is against women in power. Like they're pissed at everything involving women being treated like shit in the final show and how it's an example of all kinds of things. Keeps trying to pick a fight. It's an interesting overreaction. Then she wants everyone to buy into cryptocurrency.

It's like it's a fantasy version of the 1400's or something! I don't know what people expect. The women on this show did better than in the real world tbh. One's a sovereign ruler, another is the commander of the kingsgaurd, and then Arya is off to be Christopher Columbus (with less rape hopefully).

Valeyard

Reaction score
People who didn’t understand the Game of Thrones finale...

The people shitting on it, with their predetermined opinions, after taking it to the vein for three months, never appreciating the history...

Are the same people that don’t watch Town Hall meetings.

Then they bitch about missing “six or seven episodes here and there.”

And then wondering how our government got where it is.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nah. Even if you saw every episode several times, it was still a ham-fisted, rushed and poorly written pile of garbage.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Yes, the narrative of "if you didn't like the GOT finale/final season you were too dumb to understand Dany was always evil" is such BS.

I'm not saying there aren't Dany fans who would hate it no matter what. But, I think the majority feel it was rushed, and they took the character from point A to C, and just skipped over B.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That was from a good buddy of mine. It was something.

Skimming back, they at least needed Dany to give a monologue about how she lost everything when she came to Westeros. People doubted her, two of her "children" died right in front of her, the people she trusted most both died before her very eyes, Jon and Sansa amplified every insecurity she possibly had about getting the throne, she thought Tyrion was deliberately trying to sabotage her by the end...that would've made a world of difference. But I'm still 100% vehemently against eight seasons of character development being just wrapped up in the first half hour.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dany slaughtering all the “bad people” but it being accepted by everyone being used as a “she’s actually evil” needed to be hammered home a few seasons ago. Not as a maguffin 10 mins before her death.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Jorah was originally going to live:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/em-game-thrones-em-writer-153221872.html

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My bud has binged GOT 4 times in a row. He's satisfied with how it ended, but dissatisfied with the overall season. He's okay with everyone's wrap up except for the presentation of Jon's finale since he WANTED to be there but looked sad and also dissatisfied with the ending of the twins.

I only bring him up because for all my IRL people he has the most credibility for me bouncing off my own experiences and opinions. Just a take from someone that literally keeps restarting the show because he loves it so much.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nws1JQHBlJA

Give swedemason a look on YouTube, he does some great mashups, including this one

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've binge watched the entire series every year since it started, before each new season, and I've come to the point where I was about to watch the series again, just for nostalgia from when it didn't suck.. couldn't even get past S1E2 knowing how downhill it all goes.. this horribly written final season has put me off ever wanting to see this show again, let alone buying the inevitable bluray set.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Season 8 got a bunch of Emmy nods, including a writing nomination as hilarious as that as.

Apparently Gwendoline Christie & Alfie Allen had to submit themselves in the acting categories and given the strength of their performances suggests that HBO/D&D were very political or very stupid in putting forth submissions.