Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

A Thread on Threads

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Funny enough, the old Redskins helmet-
33-50218-F.jpg

was designed by Vince Lombardi during his short tenure with the Skins to resemble Green Bay's "G". The Redskin that took the place of the R is stupid.

WCS

Worst Case Scenario
Reaction score
That logo has represented the Redskins for close to 70 years (though, admittedly only being on the actual helmets for the last 37) and I love it. However, I wouldn't mind them replacing it on the helmets with the spear, or possibly this:

skinssrlogo.gif

Of course, you'd have to switch the 'burgundy' and 'gold' colors to show up on the helmets.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Skins were using this logo prior to Lombardi's arrival-
1064.gif

which is what's up there in those throwbacks.

The logo with the monogrammed R in the circle was only used during Lombardi's two year tenure. Look at the Skins first logo-
4639.gif

probably stitched on leather helmets or something.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
There's something about Anaheim and good threads.

2399158950100337552s425.jpg

Get these haters out of here. The Mighty Ducks were one of the most badass logos in sports, along with the Detroit Tigers.

Deep down, it doesn't feel right that they've changed. I understand the new owners wanting to get away from Disney, but these are the jerseys they wore in their first Stanley Cup Finals appearance. They're too different now. It kinda feels like the original team just went away, and these new orange and black Ducks are an expansion team, to replace the original Mighty Ones that earned their place in hockey history.

caangels.jpg

And the California Angels. How is that not one of the best hats ever? It's got a freaking halo sewn into the cap itself! Awesome.

The lone "A" that they use now is fine, but it's become ambiguous by this LA of Anaheim stuff. Heck, at the Angels games, you'll be lucky to hear the announcer mention any city. He just says "your Angels" or "the A-Team." It stood for Anaheim first, but the Angels could be one of the few teams to use their team, instead of city initial as their primary logo.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Star Ocean 2 said:
but the Angels could be one of the few teams to use their team, instead of city initial as their primary logo.
If you mean as their cap logo, off the top of my head, you've got the A's, (Blue) Jays, and (White) Sox, plus the Orioles alternates (O's), Indians alternates and Diamondback's alternates,.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought they won their court case and were free to refer to themselves as the Los Angeles Angels, which they should've been doing all along in the first place. It was presumptous to claim the entire state of California when there were four other teams in the very large and populous state, and Anaheim is basically an amusement park with a mayor.

I don't like that halo cap. Clever idea (sort of like the Seattle Pilots putting stuff on the bill), but I don't know, it just looks like a poorly assembled hat with some sort of top piece.

Oh, and The Big A is their primary logo and their cap logo. They are the only team to use the first letter of their nickname in that context, though I don't know how relevant that is.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
Czech said:
I thought they won their court case and were free to refer to themselves as the Los Angeles Angels, which they should've been doing all along in the first place. It was presumptous to claim the entire state of California when there were four other teams in the very large and populous state, and Anaheim is basically an amusement park with a mayor.

Anaheim lost their court case, but I believe the Angels still had include Anaheim in their name. The Angels figured the Los Angeles Angels would stick and people would omit "of Anaheim" and they did.

I still think it's preposterous that the Angels use Los Angeles though. I live in Los Angeles county and I can't pick up Angel games on the radio and almost all Angel games are on cable. The few that are broadcast over the air are on a channel nobody watches.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
still fly said:
I still think it's preposterous that the Angels use Los Angeles though. I live in Los Angeles county and I can't pick up Angel games on the radio and almost all Angel games are on cable. The few that are broadcast over the air are on a channel nobody watches.
Everything that belongs to the Dodgers belongs to the Angels. It's not preposterous at all. I suppose it's a bad business move to put your radio coverage on a station that has to power down to as drastic a directional signal as KLAA's without a lot of affiliates, but that was their idea.
KLAA_AM_LN.gif

Nighttime signal. Perfectly acceptable 50,000 watts in the daytime but I don't suppose the Angels play all that many day games. I'm not sure for whom they're getting out of the way. Usually once you're west of the Rockies you don't have to yield that much.
EDIT: WCCO out of Minneapolis is supposed to have 830 to themselves at night, but I wouldn't think it would come in down there on the best night. Oh well.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
still fly lives in the "distant" part of that radio coverage, and I believe 909 does too. also just above the red line above the dot where it says "Los Angeles" is the entirety of the San Fernando Valley. That's about 1.3 million people right there that get shitty reception for Angel games.

I've said this before and I'll keep saying it: Anaheim is too fucking far south to be considered part of L.A. proper. Check out the Dodgers' coverage:
KABC_AM_LN.gif

I don't think it's too preposterous to imagine that not everything that belongs to the Dodgers belongs to the Angels. It's like the A's and Giants. The Dodgers get the Valley and most of L.A. County like the Giants get the San Francisco peninsula and the Angels get Orange County and South Los Angeles like the A's have the East Bay.

Wario Lemieux

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Czech said:
I don't like that halo cap. Clever idea (sort of like the Seattle Pilots putting stuff on the bill), but I don't know, it just looks like a poorly assembled hat with some sort of top piece.

It looks like if they made Rod Carew wear a yarmulke.

Staff member
Reaction score
I live just outside of the local range for Angels radio broadcasts. Also, most Angels fans are rich, snobby white people that don't have much need for the radio. Most of them live in an area from the 15 freeway all the way west to the 57 freeway, then down from there with Buena Park as a western point and let's say Corona as an eastern point all the way to Mission Viejo as a southern point. That is not Los Angeles. When I find a female Dodger fan without crazy gangster relatives, I think I'll marry her.

It's almost like how if they build the NFL stadium in Industry, are Angelinos going to take a shine to that team? I'm really not sure. It might be a bad place to put a football team. That's about an hour and a half drive from the Valley on a normal day, in the worst traffic it's ungodly. From South Bay it's probably much worse. Before the recession hit it used to take my dad upwards of two hours to get home every day.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vitamin X said:
I don't think it's too preposterous to imagine that not everything that belongs to the Dodgers belongs to the Angels.
Okay, I'll try saying it again: as per Major League Baseball territorial restrictions, two teams in the same combined statistical area have the same primary and secondary markets, irrespective of tendencies within regions. The Yankees and Mets, Dodgers and Angels, Cubs and White Sox, Giants and A's, and Orioles and Nationals have 100% overlap in their allotted territories. This isn't a matter of interpretation, it's right on the map. Fan allegiances can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood or suburb to suburb or whatever, but both teams are entitled to the same broadcasting and marketing presence.

Also bears mentioning that the Angels are struggling to cover their entire area because they bought their own station, one that isn't very good. (The Cardinals did the same thing, going from 50,000-watt blowtorch KMOX to some rinky-dink stick that might not even make it up to Alton.) The Angels had been on Los Angeles radio stations for years, though apparently KMPC was even weaker at night than KLAA is.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Czech said:

Poorly assembled?

I've been looking through some old time baseball logos. Some messy lookin stuff there, like they were drawn up by old men who can't steady their hands.

619k.gif

Richard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Autumn Wind said:
My cable company wouldn't even show Angel games.

Well Padres games are broadcast on a station that only Cox and Time Warner cable customers receive, and I am neither.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Titans are wearing light blue jerseys with light blue pants and dark blue socks for tonight's game. It's not an awful look, but it's not particularly good, either.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
The NBA is the league that features its equipment in team logos the most. That is to say, it has the basketball in the logos more frequently than baseball has a ball or bat, hockey has a puck, etc.

NBA - 21 out of 30 teams

MLB - 13 out of 30 teams

NHL - 8 out of 30 teams

NFL - 5 out of 32 teams

So says Dave Dameshek.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Most NBA visual identities are pretty bad. Even the good teams are doing something wrong. The Lakers and Pistons look too modernized. The Knicks and Celtics wear too much black. The Bulls wore two separate green jerseys last year, one for St. Patrick's Day and one for recycling awareness (what the fuck). The Sacramento Kings have "Sacramento" written in white on their white jersey, like there was a mix-up at the factory and they meant to stitch it on the road jersey. Too many teams wear navy blue with light blue and I can't really tell the difference between Utah, Dallas, and Memphis. God only knows what the Golden State Warriors are going for. What went wrong?

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
Star Ocean 2 said:
The NBA is the league that features its equipment in team logos the most. That is to say, it has the basketball in the logos more frequently than baseball has a ball or bat, hockey has a puck, etc.

NBA - 21 out of 30 teams

MLB - 13 out of 30 teams

NHL - 8 out of 30 teams

NFL - 5 out of 32 teams

So says Dave Dameshek.
Sounds like a good Sporcle quiz to figure out which teams they are.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Are we going by the primary logos or by any logo anywhere in the package? I'll try NBA off the top of my head:

Celtics: a leprechaun balancing a ball.
Knicks: there's a basketball there
Lakers: streaking basketball
Clippers: Lakers ripoff
Jazz: has mountains coming out of a ball
Raptors: a dinosaur dribbling a basketball (why am I in a position to write this)
Pistons: a basketball that says "Pistons"
Cavaliers: I think there's a basketball behind "Cavaliers"?
Heat: a flaming basketball
Wizards: I think the wizard is conjuring up a ball or something?
Hawks: a hawk has its talons in a ball
Magic: there's a ball doing...magical things, like flying or streaking
76ers: a ball that says "76ers" inside stars
Suns: I think the sun is a ball
Mavericks: it's gotta be in there somewhere
Hornets: the hornet is dribbling a ball
Pacers: there's a ball inside the letter P

I'm stumped from here.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Kings have a basketball in their logo somewhere I think.

Sacramento_Kings.gif

Yep.

Grizzlies used to have a basketball but no longer I think. That's all I can think of.

Ah just saw you missed this one too.

New-Jersey-Nets-eps.jpg

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also missed the Thunder (there's a basketball in their guitar pick) and the Warriors (their magical blue man is in front of one).

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Czech's last couple posts identifying basketballs in NBA logos are the most unintentionally hilarious posts I've seen on TSM in like, ever.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I don't see a basketball there.

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
The Bruins' Winter Bridgeston Classic jerseys are terrible. Not as bad as Montreal's 1920's striped pajamas last year but still pretty awfully bad:

p6674383reg.jpg

Just awful. They got out of the RBK change unscathed and they roll out these uglies.

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
the max said:
The Bruins' Winter Bridgeston Classic jerseys are terrible. Not as bad as Montreal's 1920's striped pajamas last year but still pretty awfully bad:

p6674383reg.jpg

Just awful. They got out of the RBK change unscathed and they roll out these uglies.

At least Montreal actually wore that jersey in 1913, fashionable at the time. Looks like some nine year old made that logo and colour scheme.