Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

A Thread on Threads

Golgo

Golgo
Reaction score
Inspired by a tangent here, this is a thread on threads. That is, jerseys, sweaters, uniforms, and kits, as well as logos, team scripts, and what have you. It's a fashion/clothes thread we can all care about. Things that are all as important to a team's unique or not-so-unique identity as their stadium or team name or city. As Uni Watch puts it, a study of athletics aesthetics.

Like those Seahawks uniforms 97% of everyone dislikes. I'm saying, add more of that green into the helmet, change the pants to white, and they would be good uniforms, regardless of the color.

Or how I want the Broncos to drop their current set and go back to solid orange. Or better yet this from the 60s. The jersey, not the logo, of course. Denver was terrible then, but they're so cool, and the blue sleeves really make it work. These are the ones that need to make a comeback.

So talk about how most alternates and third jerseys suck, or how the NBA has too much blue, or there being too much black in other leagues.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rockets: I've hated every version of them since the Mid-90's championship run save for this last batch. The new "alternates" they've got are a nice little throwback to that era but still not the best set IMO.

Texans: Eh, not much to say really. I love the "Battle Red" alts. The all "Steel Blue" is nice as well.

Astros: I loved the rainbow unis. My ex-gf and current gf have no idea why I like them..both calling them hideous, amongst other things. The more streamlined look they had in the mid-to-late 90's in the latter stage of them being in the Dome would be my 2nd favorite. A nod to the brick red alt top they wear as well.

Aeros: Ever since they've been aligned with the Minnesota Wild, the uni's been kinda "ugh" in my opinion.

Dallas Stars: I liked the Black/Green uni they wore. The newly updated ones suck.

Dynamo: I've gotten used to that dayglo Orange they wear, but still wish they would've stayed the Houston 1836 as I liked that color scheme better.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought too much black was the NBA's problem.

Texans: Eh, not much to say really. I love the "Battle Red" alts. The all "Steel Blue" is nice as well.
You dunderhead, football uniforms aren't supposed to have matching shirts and pants unless they're white. And all red makes them look like giant blood clots.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I've got no complaints on any of my team's jerseys. The Pacers' current unis may be the best ones they've had since coming to the NBA, actually.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Czech said:

You dunderhead, football uniforms aren't supposed to have matching shirts and pants unless they're white. And all red makes them look like giant blood clots.

Blood Clots...ketchup bottles. Meh..it looks good on the field and the look is really over here in Houston. Least its better than those god awful orange uni's y'all trot out every now and then.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That didn't offend me. Nobody likes those orange jerseys.
5723.jpg

The Texans have the potential to be one of the best-looking teams in the league. This is ridic.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best I can say about the Jays is that their road uniforms aren't terrible. They just need to get the nameplate font to match the Toronto wordmark.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eh, like I said bro..we all like 'em down here. The first time those came out was against Denver on Monday Night. Since then, it seems they're going to be the official "Battle Red" alts instead of the previous red top and I believe white pants.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
Czech said:
That didn't offend me. Nobody likes those orange jerseys.
5723.jpg

The Texans have the potential to be one of the best-looking teams in the league. This is ridic.

I'm sorry, I just really hate this look. It would work with blue pants though.

I'm glad my teams all have cool looking uniforms. My favorite would have to be the Raiders, especially the AFL throwbacks. Silver and black just looks cool.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
See, blue helmet/red jersey/white pants/red socks would look pretty cool. There has to be contrast. Like the Raiders. It goes silver, black, silver, black.

I'm mostly happy with my slate of laundry except the Cubs' road greys and those ugly blue jerseys. The White Sox are okay too but why don't they wear white socks?

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
As a far the Lakers go, I wish they would return to their late 90s look, before the V-Neck trend set in. The Dodger home uniforms are nice, I would prefer if the away uniforms had Dodgers on the front instead of Los Angeles.

The Kings (hockey) should go back to their black and white look of the late 80's.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
The Mets need to get rid of all black in every uniform and cap in their set completely. They should use this away uniform too but without the weirdass stripe. I'm really glad the Citi Field innagural season is almost over because the Dominos jersey patch has GOT TO GO.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
still fly said:
The Dodger home uniforms are nice, I would prefer if the away uniforms had Dodgers on the front instead of Los Angeles.
But that's where they play. Every team should have the place name on the grey uniforms (even Los Angeles for the Angels). Why do the Rangers' home uniforms say Texas instead of Rangers, though? Stupid Texas.

OTM with the Mets. That black looks bad.

LA Kings fun fact: at any given time they stole the colors of a more popular team (LA Lakers, LA Raiders, Sacramento Kings)

Staff member
Reaction score
The Kings have a black and white third sweater that will probably become the home sweater in due time.

drew_doughty_3.jpg

Lakers uniforms are fine, they were the first to begin the trend of jerseys that look that way and if they change again they will be the first to begin another trend. Until then it won't be time.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm really happy with my favorite team's uniforms as well, although I have to admit it took me a second to get into green and gold as a kid. It was only once I was exposed a bit more to how Midwestern couture a bit more that I realized how the green/gold thing looks really nice on wood paneling and dingy sports bars. I also really like when the Blazers wear these throwbacks:
IS_outlaw_040121.jpg

with the old blazers script going down the side. In fact the old script is just better than the italic slim font that they use now. The old "b" in blazers even looked like the logo!

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
I hate the Browns brown pants. I think they're new and I hope they go away quickly because they look awful.

pbone

Something tells me that you want to go home.
Reaction score
Czech said:

YEAH THAT'S PRETTY MUCH THE PROBLEM WITH ANY SPORT

Wario Lemieux

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Cowboys need to stop wearing these and start wearing these instead. Also, the Redskins need to wear those arrow jerseys more often. I hate them, but damn if the Skins aren't well dressed.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really like my home teams jerseys for the most part. I think The Celtics rank amongst the best in the NBA. I'm not crazy about the alternate jerseys but most alternate jerseys suck so I can't blame 'em too much. The Patriots jerseys are just kind of blah. Not overtly terrible but they don't stand out to me as particularly great. The Red Sox fall into the category as The Celtics. The regular jerseys are great, the alternates kind of suck.

Wario Lemieux

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The problem with the white Cowboys helmets is that when your logo is just a star, it's really easy for it to look bush league.

don-meredith-dallas-cowboys-throwback-mini-helmet-white-helmet-with-blue-star_5136e064afce3d116446c39d67e38d1c.jpg

Look at that. It looks like they handed Don Meredith a blank helmet and he drew everything on there.

On a Boston note, the Bruins have the best uniforms in the city and quite possibly the sport.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yes, The Bruins jerseys are sweet as fuck. I forgot to mention them since I'm a fairweather fan at best.

Speaking of hockey, am I the only who thinks the Los Angeles Kings should go back to purple and gold full time?

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Detroit teams are fairly simple with their uniforms for the most part and they look good. The recent Lions' uniform change was unnecessary IMO (wish they still had the black jerseys), but the new ones are fine. I guess that's what happens when you have a new regime in town. They did need that logo change though.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I like these teams just because of their uniforms -

Calgary+Flames+v+Colorado+Avalanche+-sUKWMD6tN7l.jpg

p576814dt.jpg

Torres1.jpg

draft_lens2360446module13289104photo_1230985489112233.jpg
(Titans, but Chargers look good too.)

I hate the Raiders, but

51251_chargers_raiders_football_large.jpg

both teams looked great on opening week.