Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Abortion

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I went to a pretty religious high school, so pictures of aborted fetuses and hatred towards planned parenthood facilities was quite the norm in my senior year religion courses. I used to get into some heated battles with the socially conservative teacher, because they could never understand why I thought that a two month old fetus was not a person. "You call it pro choice, well does the baby have a choice? They're not pro-choice, they're pro abortion!" I heard shit like that all the time.

I bring this up here because I'm pretty shocked at the prevalence and acceptance of the pro-life position in the recent Republican debates. There are talks of repeal of Roe V. Wade, and even some shitheads telling us that they don't accept abortion as a viable option even in the case of rape or incest! Is there a legitimate chance that this can be made illegal on the basis of states' rights (states' rights seems to be the justification for every bigoted position, it seems), as in, people that want to see it made illegal would leave the decision up to backward thinking Arkansas and Louisiana inhabitants so that they can gradually take away a woman's right to choose state by state? What do you all think? What's your justification for being pro-choice or pro-life? It may sound obvious but I'm just curious if you had to defend why you feel the way you do, what you would say.

Reaction score
tumblr_l0hn6iJrWz1qzxzwwo1_500.png

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Having known girls who've gotten them I certainly wouldn't ever wish one on a girl as it sounds like a horrible experience but I'm still pro choice. Do you guys broach the subject with women you're sleeping with? The "What if something happened?" talk?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm a bit torn because I feel that keeping the child is owning up to your actions and being responsible and not taking the easy way out, but then again there are lots of situations where the parents are in no way ready to bring another hungry mouth into the world. I have absolutely no problem with aborting them because of rape, incest, or the high possibility of physical and/or mental disability. I guess I am pro life but only to a certain extent.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I practice safe sex for a combination of not wanting to put the girl through the emotional trauma of an abortion and the stress of dealing with an accidental pregnancy. I had a condom breakage a few months back and chipped in for half the morning after pill. And apparently that pill doesn't exactly make chicks feel like sunshine and roses either.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Had a friend of mine a few months ago get his girlfriend pregnant. I was like, "What happened, condom break?" He said, "Nah, didn't pull out quick enough and she wasn't on the pill..." I'm like pull out?! What are you sixteen? They decided to have the kid and I've learned a few interesting things about his girlfriend in the process, including her refusal to drink out of anything plastic during pregnancy as well as her wanting to have the child "naturally" at a birthing center.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I only have an opinion on this issue based on what late 80s propaganda videos tell me:

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpcwUkBWw1E[/flash]

foleyfanforever88

Integral Poster
Reaction score
bigolsmitty said:
The government shouldn't be able to force birth. Full stop.

The government didn't force anyone to have unprotected sex before they were ready for a child.

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with Smitty on this one. My personal feelings are that I'd never stay with any chick that aborted my prospective children, or even wanted to (I'd just tell her to go ahead and send her to the curb once it's done) but that's a lot different, that's what I would do and people's feelings on morality shouldn't dictate how this country is governed. This society doesn't need more shitty parents. I'm not like, in favor of doing it or anything but look at all these fucked up people with kids whose lives they fuck up and that should help you form your opinions on abortions that's for sure.

Staff member
Reaction score
foleyfanforever88 said:
bigolsmitty said:
The government shouldn't be able to force birth. Full stop.

The government didn't force anyone to have unprotected sex before they were ready for a child.

lol (sorry to continue with this holier-than-thou posting I get criticized for) so you want these people who are so dumb as to do that be forced to raise kids? Adoption isn't a good option in this country, go to a local group home and check it out. You'll see that. It really sucks but what are you going to do?

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
Not everyone who screws casually and gets knocked up end up shitty parents. Besides, that's a lousy excuse. This is strictly about people having the right to control their own bodies and their own reproduction, not about whether they'd be good parents or not. Shit, my folks were married and settled before they had me, and I'm a huge fuckup. Real talk.

Staff member
Reaction score
Agent of Oblivion said:
Not everyone who screws casually and gets knocked up end up shitty parents.

I didn't mean it that way. I meant to put down "all these people." His statement was really blanketed.

Twisted Intestine

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Alfie Circa 2011 said:
AboveAverage484 said:
taking the easy way out

What's wrong w/ taking the course of action that has the fewest complications?

You've gotten a handful of "no"s from me the past while just out of spite for shitting on my birthday, but this is this post deserved a solid "heh".

I find that a lot of people who are pro choice lean on the side of it being a hard decision with moral consequences. I may very well just be a sociopath, but I would have no problem intentionally knocking up a woman for the soul purpose of her getting an abortion to prove the point that it really doesn't bother me in the slightest. I know a couple girls who have gotten abortions like it wasn't no thang, without feeling emotionally bothered afterwards. I'd think anyone who felt emotional about an abortion really lean towards the pro life stance morally but pro choice logically. I'm morally and logically for destroying fetus's.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm pro-life in practice but if I was ever in the unlikely position to be a state/federal decision maker, I don't think I'd vote down the option.

hyperchord24

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can see both sides of the argument. What I have a problem with are the bible-thumpers who say it's wrong. A priest at our church was telling us how it was so wrong that [insert whatever number] many fetuses were aborted last year. Like a priest knows what it's like to have sex with a girl, have a condom break and not sleep for two weeks wondering if he's going to be a father. Or what it's like to be the girl who's only in high school wondering if you're going to be pregnant with a dad who's a religious nut and would be the shame of the town if his daughter got knocked up.

It's easy to say it's wrong because the bible said so, but life is never that cut and dry.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was much more satisfied with that when it appeared the video's owner did not prevent external embedding.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thing that gets me are the people that are anti-abortion but don't do anything to support basic birth control, which would help prevent a lot of unplanned pregnancies. Anyone who's anti-contraceptive, and still wants/expects abortions to go down just isn't being practical.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
Edwin said:
I was much more satisfied with that when it appeared the video's owner did not prevent external embedding.

The video owner aborted your joke.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
Ok ok, a priest, a rabbi, and a minister walk into an abortion clinic. Priest says, "hey, didn't this place used to be a bank?" So the rabbi says "oy, talk about an early withdrawal penalty"

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS