Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Abortion

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Yeah sure the gov't can choose to pay for the coverage itself, but that doesn't close the door on other things being denied under the guise of "religious freedom"

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score
snuffbox said:
Skywarp! said:
I wonder if any GOP Congressmen's mistresses or teenage daughters ever had an abortion, and if they were cool with it and/or actively encouraged it.

Senator Barry Goldwater was pro-choice for this reason (daughter).

No one cares.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
gokuwasmurdered said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/court-strikes-down-abortion-clinic-buffer-zones/2014/06/26/99937cca-f1b4-11e3-914c-1fbd0614e2d4_story.html

The Supreme Court on Thursday unanimously struck down a Massachusetts law that creates buffer zones around abortion clinics that the court said inhibited the free-speech rights of antiabortion activists.

How long until the first bombing/doctor killing? The SCOTUS seems to think the violence of the 90's is gone forever without admitting one of the big reasons the violence faded was because of laws like this. Just like with voting rights!

This is so f'n stupid. An abortion clinic can't have a safety area around it, while at the same time the federal government will create "freedom zones" around any event with people on the street protest, guarded by riot police? Of ALL the f'n unconstitutional things the Supreme Court has allowed over the last decade + THIS is considered unconstitutional? FREE SPEACH?? REALLY!?

This is one of the worst supreme courts we've ever had.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Like I said, roy: that's the only possible upside. Imagine a bunch of Occupy types marching past the "freedom zones" and streaming live footage of their protest, then using this SCOTUS ruling in their defense as precedent. It'll either overturn the ruling or get rid of that stupidity.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Not that I think the GOP could win the Whitehouse in 2016 sanz some kind of total screwjob, but just in case.....Ginsberg better retire while Obama is still in office to save the court from going 6-3 in the wrong direction. Everyone assumed she was only holding out until Obama won his second term, but now we are approaching being halfway through that.

Also, do I understand correctly that Hobby Lobby or any corporation for that matter has the option to go outside of the ACA exchanges to get health insurance for their employees, they can pay out of pocket or just go directly through an insurance company. If that is so then it seems like HL is trying to have it both ways, they want the benefits of shopping on the exchange but want line item veto power for what they don't want to cover. There just seems to be so many things wrong with this decision, plus the fact that Scalia has ruled against granting these kinds of religious exemptions in the past from what I hear that it makes it awfully suspicious that another new precedent has been set while the black guy is in office.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Well this didn't take very long now, did it?

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/religious-groups-lgbt-hiring-hobby-lobby

The day after the Supreme Court's Hobby Lobby ruling, a group of religious leaders sent a letter to President Barack Obama asking that he exempt them from a forthcoming executive order that would prohibit federal contractors from discriminating against LGBT people.

The letter, first reported by The Atlantic, was sent on Tuesday by 14 representatives, including the president of Gordon College, an Erie County, Pa., executive and the national faith vote director for Obama for America 2012, of the faith community.

"Without a robust religious exemption," they wrote, "this expansion of hiring rights will come at an unreasonable cost to the common good, national unity and religious freedom."

The leaders noted that the Senate-passed Employment Non-Discrimination Act included a religious exemption:

Our concern about an executive order without a religious exemption is about more than the direct financial impact on religious organizations. While the nation has undergone incredible social and legal change over the last decade, we still live in a nation with different beliefs about sexuality. We must find a way to respect diversity of opinion on this issue in a way that respects the dignity of all parties to the best of our ability. There is no perfect solution that will make all parties completely happy.

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score
I don't understand that. The religious leaders aren't federal contractors are they? Why would they need an exemption that lets them hate on teh gays?

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/oklahoma-lawmakers-ok-bill-criminalizing-performing-abortion/ar-BBtfoqO?li=BBnb7Kz

Any doctor who performs an abortion in Oklahoma could be charged with a felony and punished with up to three years in prison under a bill that the Legislature passed Thursday.

The measure is the first of its kind in the nation, according to abortion rights group Center for Reproductive Rights. The bill also would restrict any physician who performs an abortion from obtaining or renewing a license to practice medicine in Oklahoma.

With no discussion or debate, the Senate voted 33-12 Thursday for the bill by Republican Sen. Nathan Dahm. A handful of Republicans joined with Democrats in voting against the bill, which now heads to Gov. Mary Fallin, an anti-abortion Republican. Fallin spokesman Michael McNutt said the governor will withhold comment until her staff has time to review it.

Abortion rights supporters have said the bill is unconstitutional and will be challenged immediately. Sen. Ervin Yen, an Oklahoma City Republican and the only physician in the Senate, described the measure as "insane" and voted against it.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did they even try to explain how this doesn't violate Roe v. Wade? I paged through a couple of articles on the subject, and didn't see a word said about that. Stupid pandering election-year bullshit, to stir up THE BASE~! with an empty symbolic gesture which they know damn well is gonna be struck down by the courts.

Staff member
Reaction score
Their expectation is that by the time the case would get to SCOTUS, the court would be packed with Trump's judges who would then uphold it. It is by no means certain that the case would be struck down.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not because it was the right thing to do, mind you, but because she felt the exception for the health of the woman was "too vague".

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well she's a horrible person and an idiot. Yet somehow the morons in this state voted her in......twice.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/supreme-court-strikes-down-texas-abortion-clinic-regulations/ar-AAhEPNU?li=BBnb7Kz

Supreme Court strikes down Texas law that required doctors to have admitting privileges at a local hospital and for clinics to meet the same standards as ambulatory medical centers, the 2 biggest pieces of TRAP laws.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.bustle.com/p/this-arkansas-bill-would-force-rape-survivors-to-notify-their-attacker-if-they-need-abortion-67717?utm_term=share

Arkansas women may soon be forced to notify their sexual partner or family members if they want to have an abortion, thanks to a provision passed in the state's 2017 legislative session. H.B. 1566, the Tissue Disposal Mandate, would make it illegal for a woman to have an abortion without communicating with the man who impregnated her — whether that be her husband, boyfriend, a casual hook-up, or a perpetrator of sexual assault.
------------

Words aren't enough to express my disgust.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They can't make abortion illegal so they're making it as difficult as possible.

The woman raped by her father and impregnated should have to raise that inbred little bastard as punishment for being such a whore. She just better not expect a government handout.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Amy pats fan said:
Back to the article, I don't like the cut of this Lisa Brown's jib. "you're all so interested in my vagina, but no means no" is clearly a line meant to antagonize. Lisa Brown needs to shut her stinkin' trap

wow this is sexist as fuck, especially considering the circumstances of what started that whole story.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/14/politics/alabama-senate-abortion/index.html?mood=uh_oh&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Basically a total abortion ban with the intention of overturning Roe V Wade. lol

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This might actually cause a schism between my relatives born before 1980 and those born after. Shots already fired on Facebook by a 1991 born relative posting rage at the law, I added my agreement.

Waiting for the Boomers to read it.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Abortion should be legal. That's my stance on it. No snark or anything. Exactly what I think.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Feel like that over 75% of the people that are pro-life also believe that you should have to be drug tested to go on welfare. So I think it is a whole load of bullshit.

What's happening in Alabama is scary, even suggesting this punitive of measures for abortion is pretty disgusting.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Not only does Alabama ban abortion in rape cases but they also find the need to protect the parental rights of rapists

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/in-alabama--where-lawmakers-banned-abortion-for-rape-victims--rapists-parental-rights-are-protected/2019/06/09/6d2aa5de-831b-11e9-933d-7501070ee669_story.html

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
That's nothing but pure evil. The people who passed the law that allows that to happen need to be boiled in acid.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Breaking news! A photo has surfaced of the grand jury:

D85v3UiW4AAWnjL.jpg