Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Abortion

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sue me, I don't give a fuck. If someone needs a lift to the clinic, and reaches out to me, I'm driving. Need me to hang in the waiting room? Need me to hold your hand? Or you just want me to wait in the parking lot and keep the engine running? Whatever, don't care, I got you. I'm aware of what area I live in and how few allies a woman with an unwanted pregnancy can find. Lubbock can fuck right off, and if someone in this state sees this nonsense and gets any wild ideas, I'll still drive.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Supreme Court taking up Mississippi's 15-week abortion ban. This....could get messy. Looking at the conservatives on the bench, I have to think Roberts doesn't want to be the Chief Justice presiding over the Court when it p. much ends up overturning Roe. Is he (or the lawyers) able to convince Gorsuch and/or Kavanaugh to be the swing vote that strikes down MS's ban and keeps Roe in tact? This is gonna be very interesting to keep an eye on.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score

So, uh, as of now Texas has effectively banned all abortions (technically after around 6 weeks), and have allowed anyone to sue anybody who obtains an abortion or who even aids in obtaining one (i.e. drive someone to a clinic, gives funds, counsels someone to get one, etc).

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Going to be really funny to see how the courts handle completely uninvolved parties filing lawsuits over things that had absolutely no effect on them.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saying evangelicals are Christians is like a saying an apple is an apple.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Of course it is, but certainly you've noticed how, every time someone is critical of evangelicals for this kind of fuckery, there's always some asshole quick to pop up to say, "They're not real Christians..." And there's not nearly enough pushback against those assholes.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
5-4 Supreme Court shadow docket decision lets the TX abortion law stand. Insane, and a dire outlook for any resulting anti-abortion cases that make it to this iteration of the Supreme Court.

BTW, the TX law makes no exception for cases of rape or incest.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
5-4 Supreme Court shadow docket decision lets the TX abortion law stand. Insane, and a dire outlook for any resulting anti-abortion cases that make it to this iteration of the Supreme Court.

BTW, the TX law makes no exception for cases of rape or incest.
The craziest part is also letting private citizens turn in people for a $10,000 reward. No way that won't be abused and innocents will be hit.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Apparently that seems to be the sticking point. From what I've read (so the following could be off base) the state isn't actively enforcing the ban, the only "enforcement" is letting people sue others for obtaining/helping obtain an abortion. Legalized vigilantism! Texas knowingly crafted the law this way in order to be intentionally legally ambiguous, and somehow the majority, supposedly among the best legal minds in the land, are either utterly confused or just don't care.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They're not confused and it's not that they don't care. It's that just at it's the thing the party is doing in the moment and that, for them, as so many others, is the only thing that matters.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Consistently, I feel like the most powerful voting bloc in the past 4 or 5 elections has been suburban women and I feel like they are moderately if not strongly pro-choice. All we can do is hoping that Republican Party catering to ultraconservative idiots backfires and doesn't push everything rightward and lead to TSM becoming a Vince Russo fan forum.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Of course it is, but certainly you've noticed how, every time someone is critical of evangelicals for this kind of fuckery, there's always some asshole quick to pop up to say, "They're not real Christians..." And there's not nearly enough pushback against those assholes.
Speaking as a believer who tends to stay away from religious issues because I always felt my faith should be kept super personal-I've given them pushback. Many a time. It never works, as they never listen and seem intent on holding on to these dumb "moral" beliefs that at this point are more about political control of the entire country instead of actual morality. It's like punching a brick wall. If you can't reason with them, then fuck 'em. More progressive/left Christians/religious types and those who are secular need to start teaming up to take these guys on is what I think.

re: the whole thing on conservative Evangelicals-yeah, they are Christians. Doesn't mean they don't suck.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If there had been fewer protest votes for Sanders and Stein in 2016, the SCOTUS would be different right now. And it would've blocked the Texas law.

We need to do better. We need to vote (and act) with more concerns than our own personal pleasures and privilege.

Laz

Reaction score
If there had been a better Dem candidate than the person who had done nothing but draw national ire for 20ish years...blah blah blah. Keep blaming the public for not wanting what a party was trying to sell.

(All while disregarding that Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson pulled in 4x as many votes as Stein did, meaning that the idea of Stein as a spoiler is so fucking hilarious.)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what happened in 2016. If RBG hadn't been a selfish piece of trash this wouldn't have happened. And yeah I fuckin said it and what
Trump appointed three justices to SCOTUS. Not one, not two, three. If RBG retires before 2016, Trump still establishes a conservative majority in the Supreme Court. And, if she retires after 2010, there's no guarantee that McConnell wouldn't have blocked her replacement, anyway. The only way to have kept this from happening is for Donald Trump to not have been the forty-fifth president.

Reactions: Laz

Laz

Reaction score
I mean, there's other ways, like not allowing a SCOTUS vote so close to an election (like the GOP has done multiple times), or the citizens of Texas voting better, or proposing a bill that outright prevents states from establishing laws that govern what individuals do with their own bodies on a medical level, or...

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
If there had been fewer protest votes for Sanders and Stein in 2016, the SCOTUS would be different right now. And it would've blocked the Texas law.

We need to do better. We need to vote (and act) with more concerns than our own personal pleasures and privilege.

Do you have a twitter or instagram I can follow for these hot takes?

Hillary is the only one to blame for Hillary losing. I don't like Jill Stein at all but this is a laughable contention.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Do you have a twitter or instagram I can follow for these hot takes?

Hillary is the only one to blame for Hillary losing. I don't like Jill Stein at all but this is a laughable contention.
Can't wait for somebody to say Susan Sarandon is to blame.

Last edited: