Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW Year 2, Thread One

Jug of Green Piss Connor

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If WWE gets a new thread then I think AEW should too. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, @cobainwasmurdered !

Season 2 of AEW Dynamite officially starts of Wednesday with first round of #1 Contender for AEW World Title Tournament and Fatal Fourway to Determine #1 Contenders for AEW Tag Team Titles.. Discuss the promotion TSM hates to love/loves to hate ITT

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I still think AEW has a lot of potential. What frustrates me about AEW is they seem to understand about 75% of what makes something good and work, but are completely incompetent when it comes to the other 25%. I really wish they had someone with a more traditional approach to be an editor to the current booking. That doesn't mean turn it into just straight old school rasslin'. But, someone to help format the overall show, limit some of the comedy, know what guys to do comedy with, not do things like run 8 man tags every show for 2 months straight, help with the booking logic, know sometimes you need to pull back on stuff so that it means more when it's done etc...

The misuse of Rusev though is pretty damning. I don't think you could've screwed him up anymore. And they don't seem to be ending the angle either.

High points of the year would be the Cody-Jericho program, Jericho-Mox program, and Cody-MJF program. I'd say highest single point was Mox winning the belt.

Low points would be Rusev, not elevating one of Darby, Sammy or Jungle Boy to at least TNT champ for a sustained run, and the perplexing use of Omega. Lowest single point was the December 18th Dynamite where the Dark Order "beat up" the Elite.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Oh, and if you're really serious about pushing Orange Cassidy you need to spend the money to license Jane by Jefferson Starship. Gimmick isn't the same without it. I can't believe it would be outrageously expensive. If your choice is spending 75K a year on Big Swole or 75K on Jane I know which one will help the show more.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Well, that MJF/Jericho segment that morphed into a full musical montage certainly is creating some polarizing views online I've noticed. FWIW, I thought it was entertaining as fuck, if not a big out of place feeling, but I still had fun with it. Certainly not a regular thing I need or want to see, but a one time shot like this...why not.

Rest of the show had some decent in-ring, but something fell flat about the whole show kinda. Omega's entrance was bizzare (the robotic acting dancers didn't fit at all), and Penta and Fenix had quite the mish-mosh of a bout that looked like it was going to completely fall apart and then it didn't. I got into Wardlow and Jungle Boy, though. Easily the best work from Wardlow since the cage match with Cody. The main had it's moments, as did Cabana/Page, and great promos from Moxley/Kingston.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
The Moxley/Kingston promos are next level. Those 2 are simply amazing, especially Kingston who, in my opinion, is a Mt. Rushmore promo guy. That second promo he did was one of the best of the year. These 2 sold a "thrown together" world title match in just a couple of promos better than most companies can do with months of build.

The opener with Jungle Boy and Wardlow was really, really good. Wardlow is on his way to being a great big man wrestler, and Jungle Boy is so much better than he was when I saw him live a few times 2 years ago.

The Kenny entrance was a great way to bring him back to being the Cleaner character. Listing the accolades was a great touch, and the squash in seconds is exactly what he needed to do.

I loved the MJF/Jericho segment, but echo @RedJed that we don't need this again, at least for a long time. It works on a one off, especially since MJF can actually sing. Now I want a remake of Guys and Dolls starring these 2.

Silver and Reynolds continue to show why they need to be push. Their double teams are so damn crisp, and Silver has so much charisma.

Jug of Green Piss Connor

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Silver is so underrated. Such a damn good, intense worker. I would not be shocked to see him breakout as a singles guy. I saw him grind it out to go from undercard comedy/tag team guy to main eventer in Beyond and I don't doubt that he could do the same thing on a bigger stage. I wouldn't bet Amercian doll hairs on him winning the World Title but I could see him becoming a solid upper mid-card level type guy if given the chance.

Speaking of The Dark Order. No talk about guys awkwardly doing spots with an out on his feet Alex Reynolds.

It doesn't look as bad as the AEW hating section of Wrestling Twitter made it sound but still pretty bad! It seems like with level of experience in the ring, somebody should have known to get him out of there.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I see a lot of people screaming at the Bucks. I know it's popular to blame them for everything, but with so much going on, and they're out of the ring for most of it, if they see Alex on his feet, it's easy to assume that he's ready for the spot. The one to blame is the doctor who's sitting right there at ringside. This is the second time he's had a major gaff, the Hardy/Sammy PPV match being the big one.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I see a lot of people screaming at the Bucks. I know it's popular to blame them for everything, but with so much going on, and they're out of the ring for most of it, if they see Alex on his feet, it's easy to assume that he's ready for the spot. The one to blame is the doctor who's sitting right there at ringside. This is the second time he's had a major gaff, the Hardy/Sammy PPV match being the big one.

I thought perhaps mistakes were made a bit with the decision making in Fenix/Penta too, as things looked really shaky after Fenix took that head bump. Should it have been stopped? I don't know, but things looked bad that maybe they should at least have taken a pause to attend to him more. Doctor should have probably stepped in and checked on him.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score

no dude, I’m mad at the bucks and everyone in this case. Reynolds wasn’t out on his feet, he was literally unconscious laying on the mat for a good two minutes before waking up and they decide to run him through their spots? Fuck that, they all saw a body of a dude not moving. What the fuck is Knox doing here?

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah you can not gives the bucks a pass in this I'm sorry. They all deserve blame. The company deserves tremendous amount of blame for continuing to use this doctor after previous issues and for not having a better policy when something like this happens. It's not acceptable when WWE does something like this and it isn't when AEW does.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
yeah you can not gives the bucks a pass in this I'm sorry. They all deserve blame. The company deserves tremendous amount of blame for continuing to use this doctor after previous issues and for not having a better policy when something like this happens. It's not acceptable when WWE does something like this and it isn't when AEW does.

I'm not saying they shouldn't get some blame, but the way people are acting, they're making it seem like this is all their fault, and they the worst people in the world. Knox did a tremendously awful job. Once someone is down, it's the ref's job to get in their ear to see if the wrestler is ok. The doctor is an awful job, again. Everyone else is walking over him, or right by him like he's not even there. Just a bad look all around.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Can someone explain why Allie Bunny is back with Butcher and Blade? Like, I saw the little replay from Dark, just before the main event, where Eddie Kingston revealed that she had gone back, but it didn't seem like anybody actually said why she went back? Or, did I miss that part?

If your choice is spending 75K a year on Big Swole or 75K on Jane I know which one will help the show more.
Screw you, pal!

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Last week or the week before (or thereabouts) Kingston said to the Blade on Dynamite "you need to get your house in order", which is I guess close to a reason?

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
It was supposed to be a inside reference because she's his wife IRL and I geuss that is is supposed to be a good enough reason for her being back with them with no other explanations.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
They never explained why she was with QT to begin with. It was an awful story that went nowhere, and they just wanted a way to end it. Any story involving Brandi seems to go nowhere and ends without reason.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Last week or the week before (or thereabouts) Kingston said to the Blade on Dynamite "you need to get your house in order", which is I guess close to a reason?
It was supposed to be a inside reference because she's his wife IRL and I geuss that is is supposed to be a good enough reason for her being back with them with no other explanations.
I knew that much, already. I guess the point of disconnect for me is that I don't know where the relationship between Butcher/Blade and Kingston comes from? Why would Eddie Kingston give a fuck about the condition of The Blade's "house"?

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Really good episode tonight. Wardlow-Page and Omega-Penta were both great. I'm guessing Kenny turns full fledge heel at the ppv. I get the feeling some new heel super-group forms at the ppv involving some combination of Cody, FTR, Omega, MJF, and The Bucks. I'm not sure who will be in it, and who will be the lead, but I think some combination of the above come together. And I think Jericho ends up as a face.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't see a way this MJF/Jericho thing ends without Jericho being a face and eventually putting over MJF. I really was thinking that it would just end with MJF taking over Jericho's place in the Inner Circle and just dumping him for being old and washed up or whatever other reason MJF could use.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
MJF just taking over the Inner Circle seems obvious. But, I just don't think MJF leading them really fits that well. I kind of wonder if MJF wins somehow and when they go to accept him as part of the Inner Circle MJF's new group attacks and leaves them all laying. Depending on how big the group is you could have another member also turn after the main. Like you have the announcers act shocked at the new group when FTR attacks the Inner Circle with MJF. And later that night they all attack Mox after the main, Cody comes to make the save, but turns and they all raise the 4 fingers with Tully. But, then Omega turning heel wouldn't make sense unless you split off Omega-Hangman after the ppv and they do a long feud.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So, who do we feel would be the 4 Horsemen of AEW? FTR seems to be the leaders in the clubhouse while the other two have been toss ups of Omega, Page, Cody or MJF.