Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW Year 2, Thread One

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I love it. Gives Impact a much needed pop, and makes things very interesting. If this leads to an AEW/Impact/NJPW/NWA mega show once a year, I'm all for that.

Impact has a stacked tag division, the best women's division (outside of women only companies), and great young singles male divisions talent.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I watched the ending and I get some of you guys really like Impact and thats great and I'm glad you're excited for it. I hope it is good and leads to great things for all the involved companies.

That said I find Don Callis incredibly annoying and thought the finish took away from Moxley's huge title run. I also think an IMPACT invasion is something that only continues to cater to the existing fanbase rather than try and solve problems that might help them grow.

Again, I hope it leads to great stuff for all these companies. I haven't been interested in IMPACT for almost 15 years so I am not the person for this. I'm also not excited for Sting since I'm 1. concerned for his health 2. Don't want to see old guys no matter how much I love them. If they can still go and contribute in a meaningful way like Dustin it is one thing. It just seems like they're starting to bring in a lot of these older guys and it isn't doing it for me. I would rather see people like Mox, Allin, Kingston, Miro (with a better gimmick), Sammy, Cody, Archer and Brodie get used well. Some of those are and when I see their stuff I enjoy it.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I watched the ending and I get some of you guys really like Impact and thats great and I'm glad you're excited for it. I hope it is good and leads to great things for all the involved companies.

That said I find Don Callis incredibly annoying and thought the finish took away from Moxley's huge title run. I also think an IMPACT invasion is something that only continues to cater to the existing fanbase rather than try and solve problems that might help them grow.

Again, I hope it leads to great stuff for all these companies. I haven't been interested in IMPACT for almost 15 years so I am not the person for this. I'm also not excited for Sting since I'm 1. concerned for his health 2. Don't want to see old guys no matter how much I love them. If they can still go and contribute in a meaningful way like Dustin it is one thing. It just seems like they're starting to bring in a lot of these older guys and it isn't doing it for me. I would rather see people like Mox, Allin, Kingston, Miro (with a better gimmick), Sammy, Cody, Archer and Brodie get used well. Some of those are and when I see their stuff I enjoy it.

I can see why someone would be apprehensive about the finish, and any type of partnering with Impact (especially since Impact has significantly declined in popularity over the last 10 years). And any type of invasion angle needs to have a detailed plan from start to finish that makes sense but is also innovative and will cause a rise in viewership for both companies. And I can see worrying that Tony Khan isn't exactly the guy I would want in charge of that with some of the issues (at least in my opinion) with AEW booking.

But, from my perspective I'm willing to give it a shot. There are very few things that will actually move the needle in wrestling now. If, and this is a HUGE if, Khan and Callis are able to create a successful inter-promotional feud culminating in a "super bowl of wrestling" type of event I think it could be one of those things.

Now, the distance from where we are right now to that Super Bowl of wrestling is certainly far apart. And I could certainly see it totally falling apart. But, I would rather them take a chance on something like this (hoping they have a great story already booked) then just keeping on as they have.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
The two major positives I see from the partnership:
1. Don Callis and Scott D'Amore are GOOD BOOKERS.
D'Amore has had a hand in almost every legitimately good period of the company's history since 2004, shared booking duties in 2005-2006 with Dutch Mantel (seen as the company's high point), and his return saw the weekly product increase in quality enough to where, despite its limitations in production and the available talent pool, the shows were watchable from start to finish (barring the cinematic nonsense). NO OTHER COMPANY'S SHOW CAN SAY THAT.

Callis has shown that he will put the well-being of the company and the business ahead of his own personal interests, especially so since he made a fortune away from it through investments. While I can't agree with all of the decisions he's made since taking over the company, it's inarguable that his decisions have been the wisest in a business sense in at least a decade, maybe even in the history of the TNA/Impact brand's existence.

2. Talent share.
With Omega already being advertised to be seen on Impact next week, even if it's just in a pre-tape, this gets more eyes on the show. Impact is not the only one to benefit here, as their tag and Knockouts divisions are extremely well-booked and feature deeper talent pools than AEW. We've already seen some fantasy booking in this thread about the possible matches that can come as a result - FTR vs. the North, Jordynne Grace vs. Serena Deeb - but we're ignoring some other potential big deals.

Sami Callihan is, as far as I know, still under contract with Impact, and his pairing with Jon Moxley back in CZW was one of the few highlights during the waning days of Zandig's ownership. When he returns from injury and shakes off the rust, Alex Shelley reuniting again with Chris Sabin to take on the Bucks in another series of matches could prove entertaining. Ace Austin would do very well against Jungle Boy, Sammy Guevara and Rich Swann could have some fun, and basically the entire Knockouts division going up against Shida/Statlander/Ivelisse/Diamante/Snow...yeah, there's some great potential here.

The two most glaring negatives...
1. Too much potential for retreads
Fuck the Bullet Club reunion, at least as a primary draw. It would be cool to see a faction stretched across companies, but it's also just playing off of a dated meta-reference that's just old hat by this point. There's only so many ways an invasion angle can really go, with the crown jewel still being the ROH/CZW feud, and I already see most of the AEW feuds built around the same core talent over the last year and don't see this changing that much. I have a gut feeling it will always boil down to Omega being an anime character, the Bucks doing the same routine they've done for the last decade but being increasingly outshone by other talents who can do it faster and smoother and with more psychology, Cody desperately trying to be some amalgam of his dad and Ric Flair...basically, I can see this being more like JCP/UWF than I can ROH/CZW.

2. LET STING RETIRE
No, fucking seriously. He's in his 60s and had to retire because of injury and hadn't had a worthwhile showing prior to that in many years. LET THE MEMORIES GO.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Can we also all take a step back and really look at the main event and realize THAT is how Omega won his first World Title?

Reactions: Laz

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Can we also all take a step back and really look at the main event and realize THAT is how Omega won his first World Title?
That too. My thoughts on Omega are well known here and have been for many years, but THAT is the definition of treating a belt like a prop.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dynamite back up to 913,000 viewers last night after last week's poor number

.42 in demo

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Wow. Outside of the debut is that demo number the best they've ever done?

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
it's the best demo number since october 2019 and the best overall rating since the start of the pandemic where hardy and brodie lee debuted.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm way more excited for Sting than I probably should be. Wouldn't shock me to see a 6-man at the next PPV with Team Taz vs Darby/Cody/Sting. If Sting's body can hold up with the minimal effort, maybe a longer term program with Cody? Who knows.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Fuck all this Omega and Sting and whatever bullshit. The women's division is now unreal.

Reactions: Laz

Valeyard

Reaction score
I gotta re-echo my feeling that Mox vs Shamrock could be pretty fun.

Also gotte re-echo my mostly-joke fantasy of the creation of a new NWA situation with AEW, Impact, and Corgan's current NWA since they're all cool with each other more than ever.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Are they turning Shida heel? I get wanting to put Abadon over as scary but making your face champion look like a coward helps no one. This is starting to feel like Rollins vs The Fiend the more I think about it.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Tony obviously saw how much that Fiend feud helped Rollins and decided it was time to repeat it in AEW.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Khan needs to get on the freakshow train. You have access to Shaq and ties to Tyson. I'm just saying Tyson and Shaq need to kill the Bucks. Show the world what a real Hurt Business looks like, with Coach Barkley and NFL Legend Troy Smith right behind him.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Sting is going to be working in-ring matches for AEW. He wants "one last run" on his own terms:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Ex Presidents NWO faction as well with Dubya as Hogan, Clinton as Hall, and Obama as Nash.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Two minutes in, the piped-in crowd noise for this Dynamite is hilarious. I know they have to manufacture noise on these taped shows that are done without crowds, but this sounds silly.