Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW Year 2, Thread One

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I don't see anyway NJPW lets someone like Okada (or anyone at that level) be full time with AEW for a year or so. And with travel restrictions and having to quarantine you would really need the person to be in the US full time for it to be worth the hype.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
All I said was could. If he wins, he moves on, loses he could show up. I haven't seen the show either and don't know the results. Okada has a match on Saturday, while Naito's was today.
tbf, there was no promise from Wight that the signing would be there in person, right?

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see anyway NJPW lets someone like Okada (or anyone at that level) be full time with AEW for a year or so. And with travel restrictions and having to quarantine you would really need the person to be in the US full time for it to be worth the hype.
True. Although from a creative standpoint, I think Okada could benefit from time off NJPW TV more than anyone right now.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
But for real, Angle would be a complete waste. I don't think Brock would come in if it meant working with Mox, and if it were Brock he'd be gone as soon as he can go back to WWE. Punk just isn't going to happen. Guys like Hero or indie randos would be death.

What's Tanahashi doing? He's got a belt to give credibility.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I was just looking at the cards for the tour currently going on, and everyone in the tournament were in undercard tag team matches, except Naito. So if he lost, they don't need to take him out of LIJ tag matches. If he won, then he's still in obviously, but they don't need to remove him for other matches.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
But for real, Angle would be a complete waste. I don't think Brock would come in if it meant working with Mox, and if it were Brock he'd be gone as soon as he can go back to WWE. Punk just isn't going to happen. Guys like Hero or indie randos would be death.

He's in the New Japan Cup. Has a first round bye.

Staff member
Reaction score

I don't have a problem with Kurt coming in and doing a retirement match. His sendoff was fucking horrible and massively beneath him. It's also wrong that his last match was against Baron Corbin. But that's it really.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I don't know if Angle is capable of something better at this point. A quick and dirty Sting cripple fight, maybe.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How many legends legitimately have a fitting final match/opponent worthy of their statue?

Its a smaller list than it should be.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I’m watching some of last night’s show while I eat my lunch. How soon does Conrad turn Turkey Tits into a t-shirt?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Busted up Angle against Omega sounds just as bad as Corbin but for different reasons.

Staff member
Reaction score
Busted up Angle against Omega sounds just as bad as Corbin but for different reasons.

A tag match with him and Cody against the Revival would work best. Then you have Cody and Arn turn on Kurt and there's a good send off.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That would be the best use of him just for interactions with Tully.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As much as I really want some of the NJPW guys mentioned here to show up in AEW, if you’re selling people on a “hall of fame level legend”, I don’t know how much any of them are going to move the needle for anyone who isn’t already watching AEW.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
The way both it was said on AEW, and with Tony doubling down on it post show I just don't see who fits. I just don't see anyway it's Punk or Brock.

I actually felt there were more options when it comes to female performers. You could've had someone like Trish or Lita come in and be the face of a the division for a year and build the division. But, with him mentioning "he" that throws that out.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Karma Karma Kamaleon
hqdefault.jpg

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
njpw is running the tokyo dome next month and another big stadium. naito isn't going to go work somewhere else fulltime when they need all their draws. if its someone njpw related KENTA would be more likely.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah and also NJPW's running a ton of shows this week and you have to quarantine for two weeks before leaving the country IIRC. I doubt anyone's showing up on Sunday in person from there.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'd have it be Shamrock and have Impact guys beat everyone down.

The only Angle match I want is Shamrock in an ankle lock battle. They can book that for me.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Considering Tony Khan's WCW nostalgia, I'm thinking Buff Bagwell now.