Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW Year 2, Thread One

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Cody being one of the people running the company is one of the main reasons I don't like him being involved in the angle btw. He already spent months putting himself over all the big indy acts. Put that with the neck tat and some of the interviews he gives and he's really started to rub me the wrong way. Extremely talented and very smart man. I just don't need another HHH in my life even if he's an improved version.

Reactions: Laz

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’m just relieved they are keeping Jericho away from this.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Cody being one of the people running the company is one of the main reasons I don't like him being involved in the angle btw. He already spent months putting himself over all the big indy acts. Put that with the neck tat and some of the interviews he gives and he's really started to rub me the wrong way. Extremely talented and very smart man. I just don't need another HHH in my life even if he's an improved version.
There is definitely some HHH in Cody. I can't tell if the recent media interviews, and some of his on-screen interviews are subtle signs that's he going to be turning heel in the coming months or that his ego has just grown like his dad.

But, I will give him credit for putting over Darby clean at the ppv. My big issue with HHH back in the day wasn't that he would string together victories. It was that he wouldn't do the clean job to get someone over who deserved it (Booker being the big example). If Cody had been jobbing more to some of the indy guys he fought the loss to Darby would've meant less. I mean, there is a balance between winning enough to keep yourself over as a main eventer and becoming an albatross who never loses and hurts the upward trajectory of new or young guys. Did Cody go too far in the albatross direction? I would say no, but I could see an argument that he has.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Even then, it's really arguable that he's an improved version, because HHH had that epic run from Cactus to quad tear where he could do no wrong, and Cody's had a great match with his older brother and then a bunch of "this is really good"...and the program with Five Finger Lance Punch.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
At least his dad knew not to run through all the big heels within his first year of booking.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't wait for Zelina Vega to join the gamer squad.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What is Salina Beta doing in the Impact Zone Daily’s Place?!

(In all honesty, I don’t think AEW would be much more open to her ideas on unionization than WWE is.)

Laz

Reaction score
Hell yes. Found some of her work after looking up another woman wrestler a week ago and, hot damn, she's far more talented than her tryhard look would imply. Great mat work based on legit shoot training, solid ring presence...I just hope she doesn't fall into the same rut that most other talents do where they just end up trying to act like whoever is in the ME, because her PRO RASSLIN attempts are meh.

Jug of Green Piss Connor

Integral Poster
Reaction score
probably trying to lure over all the boomers who are busy watching NXT that night.

(also I never got why NXT constantly beats AEW among older viewers. Or at least did last time I was checking those ratings since NXT seems marketed directly to millennials but that's for another thread.)

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The fact that Tony Schiavone is more popular than ever is proof the world is ready for the full-time return of Todd Pettengill.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
my dad hates the wrestling style of AEW (outside of stuff like Dustin or when they bleed) more than anyone I know if we are looking for opinions of the 50-70 set. His favourite current wrestler is Cesaro. He can't remember his name without prompting but he's his favourite.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
also that promo schtick was great. They didn't ram it down your throat how clever and inside they were being just let it speak for itself. Clearly Omega and the Bucks had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Laz

Laz

Reaction score
my dad hates the wrestling style of AEW (outside of stuff like Dustin or when they bleed) more than anyone I know if we are looking for opinions of the 50-70 set.
Just like people stopped giving a damn about straight up action flicks when Christian Slater and Nicholas Cage were being touted as the big draws, wrestling fans of old still remember when they could watch the shows and go "this might be fake but this guy looks like he'd kick my ass."

AEW doesn't really have many names that fit that mold, and selling the idea of being legitimate has been one of the core principles of pro wrestling since day one.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I had heard the Demolition thing before and kinda thought it was a joke

Laz

Reaction score
I watched a little bit of Dark in the early hours since my son decided 2am was the perfect time to throw a party. The chunk of the show from Leyla/Tesha to Acclaimed/D3 & Angel was filled with some quality wrestling, everything else was either the drizzling shits or a mixed bag.

Leyla is a tiny little monster and I love her for it. Tasha has a natural presence to her, too, and should be molded into somebody to watch. My only complaint, beyond some miscommunication, is that Leyla should really be using her matwork more, let her lock people in surprise holds and dump them out of nowhere with throws and suplexes. I also wouldn't mind seeing more of the moonsault-to-juji gatame finish.

TNT, D-Von's kids, are naturals in the ring. They know how to move, how to get in place without making it obvious, and how to look good while also making their opponents look good. Glad to see Lucha's knee is better, and this was a great use of his skills without overexposing him. He's a big, imposing guy who knows martial arts, and his kicks should matter more than others because of it. LOVED how Tyrell (I think) leaned into JB's STF at the finish, really making it seem deadlier. Wish the TNT boys would get better gear, a better team name, and at least one of them should start doing the flopping oversell like their dad did in his prime.

Angel Fashion and Max Caster are stars in the making. Caster's opening rap did nothing for me, but he has a ton of charisma that really connects when he gets in the ring. Angel has a solid look and moves very well, with a few fun spots and sequences that flowed perfectly. Loved the finish, and loved Caster kissing D3's hand (and D3 corpsing in the process).

Ivelisse is solid, and Garcia strikes me as what Nattie Neidhart wishes she could be. If the rumors of Ivelisse's constant attitude problems are true, though, then I can't see why she'd be kept long, as Diamanta outshone her just by being at ringside with considerably less mugging for the hard cam.

Thunder Rosa is, without a doubt, the best women's wrestler on the show, and probably in North America. Everything she did looked crisp and, more importantly, like she was FIGHTING. Snow's best when she works her judo skills into it, but she's also one of the only "punk" wrestlers out there who feels legitimate and like she's not just doing a gimmick since at least Christina Von Eerie, very reminiscent of Luna Vachon in her presence overall.

Absolute trash: Penelope Ford (seriously, cut bait, she botches half of what she tries); Big Swole (her charisma doesn't carry her anymore, cut bait).

Why is Ricky Starks even here? Dude's a decade too late on the gimmick and has the charisma of a Home Depot manager. He looks like somebody who'd get pushed against Disorderly Conduct off and on for a few months and then disappear back into the ether.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Why is Ricky Starks even here? Dude's a decade too late on the gimmick and has the charisma of a Home Depot manager. He looks like somebody who'd get pushed against Disorderly Conduct off and on for a few months and then disappear back into the ether.
maxresdefault.jpg

He needs to get on the gas and do a Kid Romeo tribute gimmick.

Jug of Green Piss Connor

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I genuinely thought Kid Romeo was going to be the next Rock in early ‘00. *headslap*

Penelope Ford was barely ready for singles matches in Beyond Wrestling let alone National TV erm, semi high profile YouTube shows(?). She is prime example of how TOO many Indy people are getting signed. She has that gymnastics background and is hot so I can see why she got a contract but she only belongs in singles matches on smaller indy shows.

Jug of Green Piss Connor

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The era where Jimmy Hart booked WCW Saturday Night as its own separate brand from August ‘99 till when Russo & Bischoff turned it into a recap show was GOOD.

Mark Jindrak was my other guy from that show that I thought was going to be a future World Champion. It may have happened if he wasn’t such an ass when they taped the Evolution vignettes dammit!

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I actually like Ricky Starks. I don't think his look is bad and he is good in the ring.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The era where Jimmy Hart booked WCW Saturday Night as its own separate brand from August ‘99 till when Russo & Bischoff turned it into a recap show was GOOD.

Mark Jindrak was my other guy from that show that I thought was going to be a future World Champion. It may have happened if he wasn’t such an ass when they taped the Evolution vignettes dammit!
It was good. I enjoyed what he were doing with the tag division too and giving the bah gawd Armstrongs a chance at redemption. And that Jim Duggan bizarre TV Title run where all these vets like David Sierra and Tommy Rogers are gunning for him.

Last edited: