Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW Year 2, Thread One

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I mean, I guess an argument could be made that WWE fans are more likely to be mouth breathing morons who only care about WWE. While AEW fans are more likely to be woke, and are therefore more drawn to real world events.

But, I would argue there has been a somewhat troubling trend with AEW now for a month plus or so. Going back to them only doing 816K for their big anniversary show. And then 2 weeks later NXT doing 868K for their Halloween Havoc show. I think some people have been turned off by some of the stuff since All Out.

Last edited:

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean, I guess an argument could be made that WWE fans are more likely to be mouth breathing morons who only care about WWE. While AEW fans are more likely to be woke, and are therefore more drawn to real world events.

....what?

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
...which totally explains why the AEW audience was close to double the latest number earlier this year before all the really awful stupid dumb booking took over.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone who tosses around "woke" as part of a normal sentence at this point is probably going to say something dumb but wow. Just wow.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Having been to shows from both companies I would argue one group is much more likely to be in tune with the rest of the world than the other. It doesn't excuse ratings falls. But, it would explain why one group would see more people being picked off during major events.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I'm interested what makes a wrestling show a forum for the woke.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Khan is a Trump donor, is he not?

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
His dad donated. But, you really can't compare Tony Khan to VKM or Linda. Especially not after that last tweet from Linda begging for money to discredit an election.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Besides if the "not owned by VKM" criteria is all it takes, ROH is absolutely fine.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Not comparing, just is noteworthy given your thesis.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Besides if the "not owned by VKM" criteria is all it takes, ROH is absolutely fine.
Not being owned by VKM or anyone in the McMahon family certainly helps. Not being owned by Sinclair does as well.

I will admit my initial post was somewhat meant in jest, and me just wanting to get the "mouth breathing morons" line in. But, I still would argue one group of fans is more likely to be in tune with real world events than the other.

Last edited:

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anyway, but for some reason I can't explain, I'm a big fan of The Butcher's knee-walking-thing he does when he first enters the ring. Just looks kinda cool.

Last edited:

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I think they're both good. I wish AEW didn't job them out so much, as I think they have a good look and are capable in the ring. I don't really get what the Bunny leaving was all about, and the explanation was pretty lame. But, she adds something to the package. I know Blade had a reputation for being boring in Impact, but as a part of a team he seems fine.

Not sure if either can talk, but if one of them can they really should get them on a winning streak.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like most wrestling audiences are relatively similar? I haven't been to an AEW show but it doesn't seem that much different than a WWE audience except probably being LESS diverse.

(weirdly the most aggressive audience I was in was an ROH PPV but it was in Lowell so that probably had more to do with it than ROH fans being aggressive)

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
The most aggressive audience I was a part of, post-ECW (because that "saw ECW when I was 12" flex must be made whenever appropriate), was for ROH War of the Wired. We heckled the fuck out of the first half of the card and didn't let up, really, until Joe/AJ.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
The audience who had people thinking the World Series might be preempted for AEW is not more Intune with the World. Both audiences are full of dumbfucks. Both companies employ dumbfucks (Chris Jericho just leaps to mind). And I agree with Kamala that from everything I've seen the audience at WWE shows are more diverse. I'm in Canada but the audiences at shows I've been to are often half "visible minority" and women. I can't say the same about any of the indy shows or the TNA or NJPW show I've been to, some of which were in the US.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anyone want to place bets on what AEW draws on Dec 2? Seems like they are throwing everything at that one with Mox-Omega headlining. I’m a little surprised that match is being given away on free TV, although with the next PPV not until the end of February, they probably couldn’t hold off that long.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
The rumor is Mox dropping the belt to Omega and then finally dropping the US title to KENTA before wrestling Tanahashi at the Dome. Baseless speculation but there is substance there.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no reason he should drop the US Title before the Dome. it would make far more sense for him to wrestle KENTA at the dome night 1 and then Tanahashi night 2. or Kenta/Tana night 1 Mox/Kenta night 2 etc.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Anyone want to place bets on what AEW draws on Dec 2? Seems like they are throwing everything at that one with Mox-Omega headlining. I’m a little surprised that match is being given away on free TV, although with the next PPV not until the end of February, they probably couldn’t hold off that long.
Khan has said he has multiple surprises between now and the end of the year. Now, after claiming Pac was "going to change the balance of power in wrestling" prior to Wednesday who knows what they are, and what level of impact they will actually have. But, my guess is they also have Shaq appear and confront Cody on that Dec. 2 show. And also run some major angle. Anything under 900K would be a major disappointment. But, I could see NXT doing a named showed on that date after the success of Halloween Havoc, as you know they would love to embarrass AEW.

Also, outside of Brock, I think Sasha is the biggest ratings mover in wrestling right now. If you put her in a big match on NXT on Dec. 2 it will really hurt AEW.

Assuming nothing like that, over 900K. If WWE does something like Sasha and a named show. Probably around 800K.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Just watched the Bunkhouse Brawl and really liked it but I'm a sucker for these old school street fight type matches. I thoroughly have enjoyed Butcher & Blade since they changed their look.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Omega winning means they can be smart and build Mox for Shaq. Omega can have decent but overrated matches with his bros for a while.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm surprised that people don't see Cody as the obvious choice for Shaq's opponent (though Mox is intriguing now that Vale mentions it...). Late fortysomething Shaq needs someone to pinball off him plus Cody literally runs the damn company and is one of the top two or three "mainstream" guys.

I just hope Shaq isn't too egotistical to do a job so Cody can cut a promo on the Dynamite after that ends with a solemn "And that's how I beat Shaq."

Valeyard

Reaction score
Mox needs to. He can bump, do stupid shit to get things over, and is the only guy I'd trust for crossover. A year or so ago, I'd have been into Cody doing it, but he's really diminished as a really big star (to me; that fucking tattoo killed the aura, man) and can be much more productively elsewhere. Besides this is TNT, the NBA network. Mox is much easier to cross promote based on talking head promos alone. Who wouldn't love Barkley hyping Mox vs Shaq?

Valeyard

Reaction score
No they won't. No reason to. Mox will kill himself to make the match work.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
According to Mox's interview with Jericho when he first left WWE, he was willing to die for the match with Brock. I'd have no reservations about his commitment to a match with Shaq.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, they're going to need to convince the big diesel to take a bump in thumbtacks.
I honestly don't think it would take a lot of convincing. Shaq sparred with Oscar De La Hoya for Shaq Vs. and I don't see boxing with a quarter assing, washed De La Hoya being less dangerous than a PG-13 worked death match.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Shaq's most dangerous spot would be dunking Mox against a glass backboard.