Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW Year 2, Thread One

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
They filmed that the night of the tribute show and I think they just did it to make the kid happy. I heard the kid actually wrote the promo himself. There are videos all over the internet of guys selling for him backstage all last week ranging from Top Flight to a visiting Adam Cole
Bay Bay
None of this changes that they're officially using "watch the son of the guy who just died" as a selling point for this week's Dark.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
In the best news I've heard as it relates to AEW separating themselves from other promotions they are apparently looking at buying the rights to themes for their performers.

They just bought the below for Jungle Boy. If they buy Jane for Orange Cassidy it will be epic when they have large crowds again.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Honestly a Sting vs Taz feud is the weirdest thing to me but I’m here for it

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Watching last night's show now. Man, WWE really missed the boat on having Snoop work any spots.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
This response still makes me laugh a few days later

awhqnejwh3a61.jpg

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Chris is always so generous in giving money to anyone that’s ever been involved in wrestling when they need it but apparently he is equally as generous to hate groups.

This does take some of the humor out of his cameo in Jay & Silent Bob Reboot
2d887-15938784975501-800.jpg

Laz

Reaction score
Glad he's okay, but this is one of those things that should've been known by, you know, all of his co-workers so that any of them whose paths he crossed could know.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I'm sure his co-workers knew. They still shot promos around him not being there. The ones where Matt came out of the locker room and yelled back to Nick. The Tony was interviewing FTR, and he was Superkicked from off screen. They didn't have any matches during that time. Fans didn't know because it wasn't reported, but there's no way the people working with wouldn't know.

Reactions: Laz

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Loved that Darby-Cage main event, but goddamn Darby is going to be hurting in his 40s.

Staff member
Reaction score
Loved that Darby-Cage main event, but goddamn Darby is going to be hurting in his 40s.

I'm not sure he gets hurt at all honestly. This guy took some horrible bumps when I saw him live a year ago and he almost immediately after his match snuck out from behind the curtain to watch the rest of the show. He must be pretty durable.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not sure he gets hurt at all honestly. This guy took some horrible bumps when I saw him live a year ago and he almost immediately after his match snuck out from behind the curtain to watch the rest of the show. He must be pretty durable.

Almost immediately leaves just enough time for a shot of PURE ADRENOCHROME

adrenochrome.jpg

Laz

Reaction score
...you know what? I'm 100% in favor of this. Dude turned into one of the most outrageously popular wrestlers in a crowded roster of stand-out talents by doing, quite literally, the least amount of work possible.

If Corny wants to risk a heart attack over it then so be it, but I'll add to the trauma by pointing out that Orange Cassidy is a smarter worker than anybody Corny has ever managed. Bobby Eaton needed to take big bumps, OC just needed to put his hands in his pockets.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I disagree with them but I definitely get why old school fans/whiny old goths hate the Young Bucks, Omega, et all. They do too much, it's unrealistic blah blah. But I feel like if a Cornette stan actually sat down and watched some Orange Cassidy matches, they'd appreciate him if not enjoy him. As my fellow NEW ENGLAND MAN pointed out, he's an extremely smart worker and he can have legitimately great matches when it's called for. It's not like a Danhausen situation (and I like him a lot personally btw) where it's just a match played for laughs. There is psychology and storytelling there.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I mentioned to Kamala on Facebook, he's the top seller for merch in AEW, in the same company as The Bucks, Omega, and Moxley, and he's a legit ratings draw, and the fans voted him the most popular wrestler, in an industry where WWE is still the top dog. That says a lot.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd be curious if whatever left of Pro Wrestling Illustrated's readership still mostly skews non WWE fans now that WWE Magazine is defunct. Probably not! WWE Magazine went out of business cause WWE fans don't read magazines.

Anyway, I ordered this issue to commemorate the worst year ever and celebrate my man Orange. This is the first wrestling magazine I've bought since AJ Styles won the PWI 500 in 2010.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I think if I remember correctly, Corn just hates the gimmick. He's a fan of the in-ring stuff. I think Corn even said something along the lines of "dude is such a good worker that he shouldn't need the gimmick".

I think though that these guys don't realize that in a world where there are now a lot of top athletes and workers out there, you have to pull out these types of gimmicks that aren't the usual to get over. Being the best worker isn't going to get you as noticed now, as a lot of wrestlers are good.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of good workers in 2020 but there are so few characters. That's why Orange Cassidy has resonated so much.

Laz

Reaction score
Whenever Corny decries a gimmick that is over and a proven draw but he, personally, doesn't like? I remember that he booked a fucking mummy.