Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW Year 2, Thread One

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yikes. Well, HBK came out of retirement (twice) for a street fight and there will be more people that can protect him here so yeah, he probably does nothing more than a few bat shots before getting the submission win with the Scorpion.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yikes. Well, HBK came out of retirement (twice) for a street fight and there will be more people that can protect him here so yeah, he probably does nothing more than a few bat shots before getting the submission win with the Scorpion.
True but I don’t remember HBK being in his 60s

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Darby is too much of a piece of shit to make me want him to live, so go Cage.

Got no problem with Sting doing plunder shit where he doesn't need to necessarily bump so much as crumble.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HBK didn't have spinal stenosis they're totally different scenarios. Personally I don't want to see Sting do any kind of wrestling. My dad has spinal stenosis and that shit isn't something to fuck around with. I get why people want to see him do something more satisfying than his WWE run but I don't think it is worth it.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There is also the (I admit very slim) chance that this is nothing more than a setup to have Sting found backstage as the victim of a cruel attack and get Darby murked handicap style to set up another TNT title defense on down the road. Sting could even eat the pin in this scenario without having to do much of anything, simply by being dragged out to the ring by one of the other Team Taz guys and pinned, potentially while Darby watches helplessly after getting throttled. The image of Cage mocking a beaten Darby (being restrained/held up by Starks/Hobbs/Taz) with threats of destroying Sting, only to just pin him with his foot, would be a fun visual.

Sting literally does absolutely nothing, and Darby gets a revenge storyline leading to another defense.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
It might be a cinematic match also. It could be filmed on the actual hard streets of Jacksonville.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If it's like The Boneyard Match, I'm fine with Sting ending his career on his own terms that way. But in a regular match, even a tag with Darby taking all of the bumps and everyone protecting him, there's still too high of a chance that something would go wrong.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Revolution has been postponed a week from February 27th to March 6th to avoid potential competition with the Floyd Mayweather-Logan Paul exhibition boxing match on 2-20.

Well. I'm back to hating this year again, fellas!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They weren't even going to go head to head. They're just bumping themselves back from one week after Mayweather-Paul to two weeks.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I’m just getting to this week’s show now. Ziggler’s brother was shown in the crowd when they were singing Happy Birthday dressing EXACTLY like Dolph. Blazer over pink gimmick t-shirt. I was wondering if he was going to be knockoff of his brother with the blonde hair and ”Hollywood Hunk” moniker but it’s really good he‘s going to be a replica of one of the most stale characters in the business.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Absolutely horrible political views aside, Chris Jericho shows how it's done as a wrestler in the "living legend" role. Besides '00s Ric Flair (who was only a part timer and whose influence was partly based on managing), I don't know if anyone else in that role who gave the rub to as many young wrestlers as Jericho has in this AEW run.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Chris has done amazing things for AEW. He's an asshole outside of wrestling, but he's setting AEW up really well. He's helping to put over and build the next generation. He's working closely with MJF, he's helped Jungle Boy, now this (among others). He knows what it means to the business, and he intends to leave it a better place, as far as in ring.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Terry Funk definitely helped a lot of wrestlers but I feel like AEW was a smaller platform. In terms of helping young wrestlers while they were coming up the ranks, Tracy Smothers probably belongs in conversation too as he seems like he was the first “name” every ‘00s indy guy worked with.

Also I just saw that Jericho is bickering with Jim Cornette and Brian Last on Twitter, which is definition of a “whoever wins, we all lose” beef.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not trying to take away from Jericho helping guys out but how much did Jungle Boy really benefit? He wasn't elevated up the card after. He's still in the same comedy act that isn't on tv all the time. It's a wasted rub if you don't do something with a guy after.

Kawada and Tenryu elevated a shitton of guys in AJPW in the early 2000's. Jumbo previous to that made a bunch of guys. Liger was extremely generous.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
You mean you haven't seen all the kids in their Jurassic Express merch?

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Kawada and Tenryu elevated a shitton of guys in AJPW in the early 2000's. Jumbo previous to that made a bunch of guys. Liger was extremely generous.

Japanese wrestlers are on a whole different level. I wouldn't put them because it's almost expected of them once they reach a certain age, that they put over and help make the next generation. It's the right way to do it.