Akira Kurosawa

cobainwasmurdered

CWM
Staff member
There's a super old thread about him but it's full of Jingus so...no.

Let's talk about one of the ESSENTIAL directors of all-time.

I think most people have at least seen Seven Samurai and a lot of seen or heard of Rashoman and Yojimbo and maybe a couple others of his major films but he has so many amazing works that it can be a little daunting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Akira_Kurosawa#As_director

I'd seen probably 5 or 6 of his movies. The aforementioned three and "Throne of Blood", "The Hidden Fortress", and "Sanjuro" but I decided to try and watch more. So far I've watched "Stray Dog", Scandal", and "I Live in Fear". I also rewatched "Rashoman" because it had been forever since I watched it.

Toshiro Mifune is one of my favourite actors so this thread at least on my end is gonna be about him a lot. Takashi Shimura deserves a big shout out too. Shimura's performance in "Scandal" as a broken down lawyer with a bedridden daughter is tremendous. Mifune in "I Live in Fear" was 35 and played on old man going insane (or maybe just smarter than the rest of us) from fear over the A-Bomb and he was almost unrecognizable at times.

I'm only just partway into "The Lower Depths" which I've read was supposed to be a comedy but so far is depressing as fuck.