Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AMC Refuses to Show Any Universal Movies

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I guess this is as appropriate thread of any to mention these two major developments in the movie world given the current climate, though either may be relevant for their own thread:

Oscars are lifting the minimum seven day theatrical release rule to qualify for Oscars so everything qualifies now

AMC Theatres have stated they are no longer showing Universal films and Regal Cinemas is threatening similarly after Universal touted the success of releasing Trolls: World Tour via streaming rentals recently, which has helped the sequel be deemed more than the first film by the studio already.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely deserves its own thread as this is pretty major news. The Invisible Man was a very recent release but Universal was also behind the Despicable Me/Minions/Secret Life of Pets series. Also the Fast & Furious series along with the Jurassic World stuff so... good luck, AMC.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Regal has strengthened their stance as well saying they won't be showing any movies that don't adhere to the 90 day release window.

This will all be forgotten about by the time the next big Universal release comes out because Universal's going to learn that non-family movies won't have anywhere near as many people renting them at $20 a pop, especially after they're no longer restricted to their homes, and the theaters are going to realize how much they're losing in concession sales.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
fazzle said:
Regal has strengthened their stance as well saying they won't be showing any movies that don't adhere to the 90 day release window.

This will all be forgotten about by the time the next big Universal release comes out because Universal's going to learn that non-family movies won't have anywhere near as many people renting them at $20 a pop, especially after they're no longer restricted to their homes, and the theaters are going to realize how much they're losing in concession sales.

Holy shit, 20 dollars?

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That’s actually a good deal when you consider that if you were taking your children to this movie, you were going to pay much more than that. As an individual, it’s pricey ticket but when you factor the majority of the Trolls purchases were by and for children, it’s a significant bargain.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, the prices are super inflated to cover the production costs. New releases who normally would be cinema here in the UK are listed at £15.99 when its normally an £8 ticket.

Thats about $20

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hawk 34 said:
That’s actually a good deal when you consider that if you were taking your children to this movie, you were going to pay much more than that. As an individual, it’s pricey ticket but when you factor the majority of the Trolls purchases were by and for children, it’s a significant bargain.

Yeah, and that's what I was getting at by saying people aren't going to spend $20 a pop for non-family movies. Trolls is a value because generally there's at least three tickets being sold (parent and two kids) so $20 is cheaper than what most people would pay at the theater, but who the fuck is gonna spend $20 to rent The King of Staten Island?

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Considering AMC is on the cusp of bankruptcy, this is a foolish move by them to cut off a major film distributor like this over a move they (Universal) felt compelled to make due to obvious unique conditions. No studio should be held against their decisions to release certain films online in these weird times if you ask me.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They're not cutting them off due to Trolls, they're cutting them off because they said they were going to continue to release movies simultaneously in both theaters and streaming going forward when theaters reopen.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also think it is a very easy stance to take when the theaters are still closed down. I think this will be a non-issue in the future, unless this becomes a real paradigm shift.

I think non-family movies could make money at home. Multiple people watching it, plus improvements in home theater options and not having to pay babysitting fees, it could be a wave of the future.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1256617696004911105
If this is any indication, movie theaters are fucked for the long term future. No one is going to want to do all of that to go see The One and Only Ivan. Except maybe Baby Shoes.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I honestly have no desire to go to any movie or live show or gathering any time soon. I’m going to be working with work to leave me home as long as I can with things as they are now.

On top of just being uncomfortable and time consuming, I cannot fathom the teenagers and senior citizens working the movie theatres I go to being best prepared to handle this.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There wasn't a lot I was going to trek out to see in the theater in 2020 anyway. All I can really think of that I would definitely see would be the new Christopher Nolan movie Tenet, Halloween Kills, and Dune.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that my BIL doesn't work for Dreamworks/Universal I can post this on the board. The Trolls release went badly enough that they probably won't release anything on demand unless they know it's going to bomb to begin with.