Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

America's Least Essential Restaurant

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, long, disappointing, and pointless probably describes most dining experiences at Golden Corral so I guess it works in that sense.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
tumblr_mga9xwBMLC1rtxouco1_1280.png

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
http://www.therealtsm.com/index.php?topic=421.msg533595#msg533595

http://oldpeoplefacebook.tumblr.com/

not updated since 2013 :(

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
From my experience at places like Golden Corral, I'm more afraid of the clientele contaminating the food then the employees/poor working conditions.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Me and Roy would like a word with you, dawg.

Also did I ever tell anybody here that I once saw a drunk (probably homeless) guy getting blown by a drunk (probably homeless) lady in a Burger King parking lot after last call one night? ;D ;D ;D

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
I blame the local franchise then. I used to prefer BK to McDonald's until I moved downtown. They burn their burgers every time without fail. Within a football field of this defective BK there's the aforementioned McD's, Wendy's, and Hardee's. I'm at a point where if I want anything Burger King makes, I can get it better right next door.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm a BK apologist but the quality of the BK Lounges around here is maddeningly inconsistent. When it's on, it's the best of the Big 3 burger chains (McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's). At least, purely for burgers and fries. When it's off, it's by far the worst.

Also, I don't think Au Bon Pain has been mentioned this thread yet.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
Well, long, disappointing, and pointless probably describes most dining experiences at Golden Corral so I guess it works in that sense.

I used to love Golden Corral when I was a kid. I couldn't get enough of it. Now I can't stomach the place. Maybe it's because nearly everything is fried. The older I get the less I can tolerate fried greasiness.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A Ground Round Bar & Grill opened up adjacent to a CineMagic Theater (Maine/NH chain) last week. God damn.

Last Ground Round in the Portland area before that closed over ten years ago. Very, very weird to see it pop back in general and especially weird given the location. It's like seeing a HoJo's open up.

Incidentally, Bangor, Maine is home to one of the two remaining Howard Johnson's Restaurants in the country.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Wow. Ground Round is one I haven't heard in forever. Really, the short time when I was a kid that I lived in New England.

The HoJo story reminds me of the one small town up north here that for some reason still has a Shoney's, if anyone is familiar with those.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Shoney's has an epic breakfast buffet and pretty good burgers. Not much else to write home about though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still see Shoney's fairly regularly whenever I drive south of Pennsylvania or so.

Used to love hitting up the breakfast buffet on Kamala Family Trips to visit our family in Virginia. Not sure how well it would hold up now.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Baby Shoes said:
Wow. Ground Round is one I haven't heard in forever. Really, the short time when I was a kid that I lived in New England.

I had no idea THEGROUNDROUND was still around. I loved that place when I was a young pup

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.groundround.com/Locations/Map/
It looks like there are 20 or so left. And in god damn random locations. Three in Maine. Two in Central/Upstate New York. three in New Jersey, and the rest are spread out in the Midwest. Huh. I always thought of Ground Round as New England/Upstate New York chain so odd to see locations as far west as Missouri. Actually, it looks like there are the most Ground Rounds in Minnesota & Wisconsin. Please give us a review of the local Ground Round, Brody.

There's a good story about a shitfaced Hart Foundation getting into a shoving match with an ornery elderly female waitress at a Ground Round in (IIRC) Plattsburgh, New York and the riot police getting called in in Bret Hart's book. They ended up getting saved by an equally shitfaced Vince McMahon who was having a party in the banquet room at said Ground Round. :D

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I want to party in a banquet room at Ground Round with Vinnie Mac. Especially if I remmeber right and the one I went to had a Simpsons Arcade machine. Best. Night. Ever. May make Venkman way too jealous.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://thetakeout.com/sbarro-times-square-closing-rent-new-york-city-1839261011
The Sbarros in Times Square has closed.

But where are confused tourists from Wisconsin and Slovenia get jumbo slices and giant platters of baked ziti? :(