Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Angels & Demons

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Loved the book, liked the Davinci COde movie, so I'm excited for this.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jaxxxson Mayhem said:
Yessssssss. This looks like it will be all kinds of great.

It's a sequel to the fucking Da Vinci Code. No, it doesn't.

What don't you like?

samoarowe

samoarowe
Reaction score
I felt the Da Vinci Code movie sucked all the fun and intrigue that made the book great. Tom Hanks didn't seem to get his character at all, and I love the guy, but it was probably the worst performance I've seen him in (and I've seen Turner and Hooch).

That said, I'll probably still go check this out, because the book was great and perhaps they'll get it right this time.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I actually just saw the trailer. This looks like another stupid thriller designed to make Tom Hanks and Ron Howard more money so they can do projects they actually love.

Not looking forward to seeing it

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
wnyxmcneal said:
Prequel, actually. Angels & Demons was written first, and was in fact a much better book imho than The DaVinci Code was. Of course, the movie version of DaVinci was worse than that book, so who knows how this one will turn out. Hopefully a better haircut for Tom this time at least.

T

THE KEELEDOVER KID

Angels & Demons was written first, and was in fact the exact same book that The DaVinci Code was.
Dan Brown is a hack bitch.

MDH257

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
Jingus said:
wnyxmcneal said:
Prequel, actually. Angels & Demons was written first, and was in fact a much better book imho than The DaVinci Code was. Of course, the movie version of DaVinci was worse than that book, so who knows how this one will turn out. Hopefully a better haircut for Tom this time at least.
I read that for the movie they're going to treat it as a sequal, even though the book came first.

Reaction score
THE KEELEDOVER KID said:
Angels & Demons was written first, and was in fact the exact same book that The DaVinci Code was.

This is quite true. That said, I liked Angels and Demons a lot, and didn't care for Da Vinci Code that much (the movie or the book).

Looking forward to seeing this.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm apparently seeing this tonight at a midnight showing. I was hoping to see it next week at an off time, but that was not to be.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Does EVERYTHING get released at midnight now, and the super duper special time is Thursday afternoon?

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
So basically Ron Howard listened to the criticism of The Davinci Code about how it was bogged down with people talking to advance the plot, and cut a ton of that. The first 20 minutes or so put things in motion, and then it's just boom boom boom stuff is happening. The trade-off to doing it this way is how much they departed from the book, but even though I love the book I'm not really complaining, as it made for an exciting movie. Just don't go into this expecting a faithful recreation of the book, Davinci Code was a LOT more faithful to its book than this is.

Spoilers about the differences from the book, but again as a movie ignoring its source material I really liked it. Even if I thought the assassin looked like Richard Roeper.

First and foremost they fucked up the Hassassin. Completely. He's not even the hassassin, he's just a hired killer who is given no backstory or motivation other than that he's getting paid. I think this is what bugged me the most of all the changes, because the Hassassin was such a badass in the book, and had actual motivation and backstory, and we get none of that here. And he really looks geeky with the glasses on. Richard Roeper, hired killer.

They also condense the first, I don't remember, quarter or third of the book? Into the opening 15-20 minutes. We spend all of two minutes at CERN, and they gloss over the whole anti-matter thing really quickly. Langdon never even goes to CERN, it's the Catholic Church that calls upon him, not the CERN director, who isn't even in this movie. Which also means no cool plane that can make it from the East Coast of the US to Geneva in an hour.

Also the chick, I forget her name, gets severally downgraded in this film from the book. It's been a year since I read it but IIRC the scientist that dies is her dad, or adopted dad or some such. Nope it's just her research partner here. So she has less motivation in the movie and does less. No being kidnapped by the Hassassin, no being a yoga master, no nothing.

As I mentioned above they REALLY gloss over the whole anti-matter thing and what they're trying to prove with the super collider. It's almost mentioned in passing that they're trying to prove the existence of god through science. They also don't really explain the significance of the Illuminati brands. And they even change the last brand, which was really disappointing. In the book the final brand is a square of all four elements. In the movie it's...two keys? They explain the symbol in the movie but I didn't really get it. They use the last symbol as the clue to where the anti-matter is, as opposed to the book where the camerlingo appears to have divine inspiration when he finds it.

Also, another change that really bugged me, was the lack of the camerlingo's awesome speech from the book about science and religion. IIRC in the book he gives the speech to the TV cameras, where as in the movie he just gives a version of it to the college of cardinals. It doesn't have the same effect when just a few people see it, as in the book it's what kind of won over the masses towards this guy, and made it so special to them when he survived the anti-matter explosion. In the movie I don't think the masses have even seen him until he comes running out with the bomb and takes over in the helicopter. Which he does without Langdon in the movie.

Another BIG change is that Langdon actually does save the last prefetti guy, the one that was to be killed in water. And that's the guy that ends up being Pope. Also, the assassin (since he's no where close to being the Hassassin of the book) never really threatens Langdon. He just kind of stares at him in the fire area, and I don't think he even tries to shoot him. Then he just plain leaves him alone at water, and then in the final place he tells Langdon and the girl that he won't harm them if they don't come after him. That was a weird change to be sure. Completely leaving them be in the movie, vs the book where he tries to kill Langdon several times, and kidnaps the girl so that he can slit her neck while she sucks his dick.

And then the assassin dies when his car blows up after he receives his last payment. Yeah.

All that said, I still really enjoyed it, I just had to put the events of the book aside.

Oh and now this makes two movies in a row where I've recognized someone who had a bit part on House (the old dude who had no medical degree in three episodes of the fourth season. He was the research partner working on the anti-matter thing.) Weird.

JRE

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It wasn't as strict an adaption of the book as The Da Vinci Code was....which made Angels and Demons a better movie than it would have been if they tried to duplicate the book, I think. I liked the ending to the movie better. Though; admittedly I read the book about 4 years ago....I remember the ending being even more over the top. Didn't Langdon go up in the helicopter during the book and survive with some scrap of space age parachute material?

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it was just a tarp or something, because he learned when he was at CERN that just a mall piece of fabric would cut your drop speed by some amount or something.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Oh, by the way, for all you Dan Brown fans... his next novel is due out in September.

The title, fittingly perhaps, is "The Lost Symbol".

DARRYLXWF

New Poster
Reaction score
Because I'm more patient, I preferred The Da Vinci Code to this film (having seen it last night). I haven't read the book - I don't intend to - but I thought the 'twist' at the end was too sudden and too silly and entirely unneccessary. It gave the film an M. Night Shyamalan vibe that I just don't dig.

Anakin Flair

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Smues said:
Oh and now this makes two movies in a row where I've recognized someone who had a bit part on House (the old dude who had no medical degree in three episodes of the fourth season. He was the research partner working on the anti-matter thing.) Weird.

If we're thinking of the same guy, he also played Jacob Carter on Stargate SG-1.

Saw this today and loved it, even i I'm getting tired of the old plot device
of the guy you think is the good guy being the bad guy, and the guy you know is the bad guy turns out to be the good guy.

Having seen this and just now finishing watching The DaVinci Code, I definitely appreciated the pacing of Angels and Demons more than DaVinci, which seemed to get bogged down at times with the flashbacks and the Edict memory thing they did.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anakin Flair said:
I'm getting tired of the old plot device
of the guy you think is the good guy being the bad guy, and the guy you know is the bad guy turns out to be the good guy.
Yeah, Dan Brown does that in every single one of his books. It gets old fast.

TSA09

New Poster
Reaction score
Most guys I know that have seen the movie have fallen for that and have thought it was the head cardinal. However female intuition helps because within 10-15 minutes most of the females already had it pegged, none of us read the book either but figured it out and figured out the hitman.

I loved the DaVinci Code but I think I loved Angels & Demons more.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jaxxxson Mayhem said:
Finally saw this tonight and thought it was pretty good.

Of course you did.

This movie was really bad, and I shudder to think that this was better paced than DaVinci, since this movie was slow. Hanks and Howard were obviously phoning it in.

Also, female intutition? It's called watching a movie. I figured out it was
Ewan McGregor just from watching the ads, since there's no reason to cast him unless he's going to play an important part. That and they made it even more obvious by having him disappear for most of the movie. Again, why have him if you're barely going to use him?

The movie was just blah blah blah Illuminati they have to be HERE oh we're too late piss, until the 1 hr 45 min mark when something actually happened. And since the twist was obvious, even when something happened, it still fell flat