Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Any grill masters here?

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So Dadaramu has given me his old grill. It's a charcoal smoker with two baskets that can be raised and lowered and it's got a smoke box on the side.

Now I've had a charcoal grill for a while. I can do the basic charcoal pyramid, let it heat up, spread out the coals and then cook a burger or steak over it.

But I've never tried to use wood chips with my charcoal or use a smoke box to cook a brisket or pork shoulder.

Any tips? For both long term smoking with the box and adding wood chips to cook a burger?

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I don't know much about the grill, sorry man. I pan fry or bake or boil everything I eat. I know the basics of grilling meat but probably not more than you.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I don't know if I would call myself a "master" but I know my way around a charcoal grill in general. What are you looking to make?

If you like pulled pork I would suggest watching this tutorial and following it as closely as possible and you will end up with some pretty delicious pig....This guy keeps his instructions pretty simply and easy to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbzEa_juegs

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well I would love to make some smoked ribs or pork loin.

I have just been using it to charcoal burgers and steaks recently but I smoked an entire pork shoulder on Sunday. I didn't get it hot enough o make it pulled pork. It felt like I was constantly adding wood to it.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've started getting better at smoking ribs and pork loin. It just takes some trial and error and watching a shit ton of youtube videos.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I need to get a grill, again. I decided to broil some ribeyes in the oven broiler tonight. I pulled my steak out at the "medium" point in time, put the pan back in for another 2 minutes so Mrs. SFH could have hers at "medium well" per the manufacturer's guide for the oven.

I wound up having to extinguish a fire in the pan. Chasing down every step of the way, I'm thinking the olive oil in the marinade I used ignited. I did save the steak with a little bit of charing, but still enough pink to deliver. The pan was a loss though.

I just put the pan in the sink, had to remind wife that the fireman in elementary school said to NOT dump water on a cooking fire. From there I just batted at it with a pot lid to suffocate it until it went out. So no embarrassing fire trucks in the driveway, no awkward conversations with the landlord on why her 2nd longest residing tenant just burnt down the kitchen. Just a reminder that I thankfully don't panic until AFTER the shit has finished hitting the fan. Probably to a dangerous level. I was walking around with the flaming pan in my tongs trying to figure out where to put it. Should have put it on the floor and stomped it out.