Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Best PC Games - Under 1 GB?

Exslade ZX

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So what are the best PC games out there, that won't really take to long to download and won't take up to much space on the computer?

As I've noted in other threads got the RROD this week, so I've turned to playing games on the PC when bored. I'm sure by now my Sims 2 neighborhood is telling me to give them a break. So I'm looking for some other fun games to play while I wait on Microsoft. I'm thinking about Black and White 1, which from what I've seen looks be a pretty fun little sim, like a less complicated Civilization. What are some others out there?

Hawkius Maximus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mount & Blade: I'd suggest buying it, but I think it can be pirated. It's a cool indy Medieval fighting game with an open ended system allowing massive modding. It also has some Strategy elements in the "Vanilla" game, that some mods heavily enhance. In a few months, the most sophisticated mod for M&B should be ready, a huge Lord of the Rings mod that adds every race, every faction, and just about everything you could for the game. Oh, and an Expansion with Multiplayer Battles soon.

Alpha Centuari: A Sci-Fi Civ 2 basically. Probably my favorite turn based game of all time. Distinct "nations" that play completely different from each other, pretty intelligent AI, and just fun. Never got the love it deserved.

Master of Orion 1 & 2: Fuck 3. #1 and #2 are great, great 4X games that if you've never played you owe yourself to.

Elder Scrolls Morrowind: I think this may be slightly over a gig with all the expansions, but the advantage to playing this on a PC compared to a console, is the massive modding possibilities. There's so many mods for Morrowind, that by the time you're done, it wouldn't even feel like the same game at all.

Fallout 2: DEW IT.

Planescape Torment: I never actually got too far in this game, but what I did play through was fantastic. Many consider it in the top list of the greatest RPG of all time, with some feeling it may be the best. An intriguing setting, a main character unlike any other, great dialogue, and a great hook. It's worth seeking out.

I never really cared for Black & White myself...Probably because my old PC couldn't run it well.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Don't get Black and White. It gets really tedious after a while.

If you can find the original Rollercoaster Tycoon and it's expansions, I'd suggest that. RT3 is decent, but the original is still the best.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
KingPK said:
Don't get Black and White. It gets really tedious after a while.

If you can find the original Rollercoaster Tycoon and it's expansions, I'd suggest that. RT3 is decent, but the original is still the best.
Agreed on both counts. I couldn't throw for shit in B&W and it turns out hey, that's 99% of the game, flinging things at other things to get stuff to happen.

RCT is still great though, if that's your sort of thing. I'd also recommend Tropico.

tonyjaymz03

Kinsey
Reaction score
Hawkius Maximus said:
Planescape Torment: I never actually got too far in this game, but what I did play through was fantastic. Many consider it in the top list of the greatest RPG of all time, with some feeling it may be the best. An intriguing setting, a main character unlike any other, great dialogue, and a great hook. It's worth seeking out.

This.

My favorite game of all time.

ericmm

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Believe me when I say this thread begins and ends with Alpha Centauri.

Unfortunately it had already been taken when I came into the thread :)

Even Civ4 didn't do somethings that Alpha Centauri did.

Hawkius Maximus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I keep waiting to hear they're going to make a sequel to Alpha Centauri. But I'm still waiting.

You ever get the expansion? Not only did it provide two broken Alien races, but also a Pirate faction that could be so insanely strong before anyone could touch them due to everyone else having to learn water technology. It was kind of a downer, after I tracked it down upon hearing how rare it was.